Car shampoo recommendations please

The place to discuss everything else..
lexie

Re: Car shampoo recommendations please

Post by lexie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Just to complicate this considerably, the following link will appeal to detailing geeks ;)

https://detailingworld.co.uk/forum/show ... p?t=363239

I've used a number of the Bilt Hamber products (made in Essex) as they seem to do quite well in awards and reviews. Their shampoo is fine, does the job, but I can't say I it's night and day compared to the Meguires Gold I used previously. Although the BH bottle is ludicrously small and a couple of teaspoons really are all that's needed. It's not that foamy, compared to some, but cuts through the muck easily enough.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

martind511

Post by martind511 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm

lexie wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm
Just to complicate this considerably, the following link will appeal to detailing geeks ;)

I've used a number of the Bilt Hamber products (made in Essex) as they seem to do quite well in awards and reviews. Their shampoo is fine, does the job, but I can't say I it's night and day compared to the Meguires Gold I used previously. Although the BH bottle is ludicrously small and a couple of teaspoons really are all that's needed. It's not that foamy, compared to some, but cuts through the muck easily enough.
I spend way too much time on that site and has cost me a lot of money - but it gets me out of the house
MY 2019 Jaguar XE Landmark 25T - Santorini Black, Sunroof, 10 way electric seats, folding mirrors and split fold seats.
MY 2018 Jaguar XF Portfolio 20D Auto - Narvik Black, Tan interior, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel (company car)

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try these
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm

5Ltrs Simoniz with carnaubia wax on sale at Halfords £8 was £16. I have used it in the past and it is very good. Only it's earlier price put me off at £16. Trplewax is also on offer at £12 for 5 ltrs and I recommend that as well.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Vespa wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm
5Ltrs Simoniz with carnaubia wax on sale at Halfords £8 was £16. I have used it in the past and it is very good. Only it's earlier price put me off at £16. Trplewax is also on offer at £12 for 5 ltrs and I recommend that as well.
On the basis of your recommendation Vespa , I popped into Halfords and bought some. :o I haven't used shampoo for years, being a fan of the waterless cleaners. However, the jag is so dirty at the moment I think it needs a wash before the polish. I'm now just waiting for some warmer weather before I venture out with my Marigolds. :)
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Vespa wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm
The sun came out today so I took advantage and washed the car. No need for my Marigolds either as it was like a spring afternoon. Having not washed any of my cars for a few years, as I prefer to use the waterless cleaner/polish, I was pleased to try the Simoniz shampoo as recommended by Vespa and at £8 it is great value. I must admit, it is a very good product, so no regrets buying it. I now have 5 litres of the stuff so that will probably last me a few years, it might even last longer than me. :lol:
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

XE123

Post by XE123 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:34 am

lexie wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Having looked at this I really want some of that Bilt Hamber shampoo now! If it's as good as this guy seems to think then it must be pretty special stuff.

Annoyingly I have 3l of Autobrite and Autofinesse shampoo laying around still. Maybe I will get the Bilt Hamber stuff for when the car is really really dirty!
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

The local car wash company I use, do actually use all autoglym (if I've spelled that correctly).

I've asked them to use the shampoo I got with the car in the boot kit, as I thought that would be great stuff.

But they said they're autoglym foam is better than the shampoo I have lol.
Then they open a pack of new chamois leather for me every time to polish (using some mild spray wax he described it as)

Really nice treatment, friendly guys.
As they use my shampoo, they charge a couple quid more. Rounding it up to £15.
And as I'm not able to wash it the same way (no power spray/jet washer machine fits my taps) it's quite good I thought.

But wasn't sure whether or not I should try their foam or buy more of the same shampoo jag supplied with the car and continue to instruct them to use that?

clivetay33

Post by clivetay33 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:23 am

XE123 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 am
This stuff is fantastic. It doesn't foam a huge amount but it does add a hydrophobic layer which when used between waxs/coatings keeps the surface lovely and beady! I was really impressed with it. Even on an old car with no previous wax coating the beading was fantastic!

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gyeon-q2m-bathe-plus
I agree the Gyeon plus is fantastic and keeps the beading for ages
Jaguar XE S Indus Silver 380 bhp black pack, cold climate pack 1, 18 way power front seats, memory pack with powerfold mirrors, 19 inch black alloy wheels, panoramic electric sun roof, advanced parking assist pack

richyw323

Post by richyw323 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 am

I used to use Meguiars Gold Class as a decent maintenance shampoo between fuller details where'd I'd be claying, waxing etc. Then I moved to Auto Finesse Lather, no additives just a good PH neutral shampoo and if not doing a full detail finish off the car with Gyeon Wet Coat. Incredibly easy to use, mist over panel, blast off with pressure washer (watching the crazy beading) and job done. Especially good for winter when you want to actually touch the car as little as possible and the beading lasts a good 6-8 weeks.

Get all my stuff from Polished Bliss, great site with loads of good tips and info. https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk
XE 250 R-Sport MY19 - Caesium blue - Ebony/Light Oyster Leather - Diamond Venoms - Privacy Glass, Parking Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Elec Folding Mirrors, 10 Way Seats.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”