Car shampoo recommendations please

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Re: Car shampoo recommendations please

Post by BevC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:12 am

It’s not just the shampoo to consider, the things we use to wash with are also important. I was amazed to see that the best wash mitt according to the Auto Express test was a £4 Kent double sided noodle. Some of the really expensive ones didn’t fare as well.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 pm

I got the5l Simonez from Halfords when on offer. Hopefully it will work well.
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:49 am

Well that's a lot of options to consider.
Is waxing something that's thought of as part of every wash?

What's the upside/difference from what we're talking about here, to detailing?
Is detailing essential, and how often do you do it?

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 am

Mike87, I wash my car frequently but waxing only twice a year with a full super clean ie detailing. I bullshine all plastic and rubber and all the inside and engine bay. Sadly I have a large collection of various potions, waxes and various other polishes. It takes me a full day to do it. Briefly I hose it down, then wash it, then use a clay mitt (will explain later) then another wash and dry and then paolish followed by a sealant. I start around 09.30 and usually finish around 16.00. It's a big job but worth it.
Regarding the clay mitt, this also needs using wet and you carefully go over the bodywork with a wet solution. There are special ones but I have found that a mild wash wax in an old spray from a well washed out kitchen spray. With the mitt I spray lubricate the paint surface and gently use the mitt on it in linear strokes. You can feel the roughness in the paint from bits of road rubbish sticking to it. Then give the car another good wash before waxing. The waxes and sealant need time to cure so check the instructions fully or you will end up with a mess of shiny and dull. Do NOT do any of this inc washing in hot sun. Check the internet for detailing vids.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm

@vespa

My god!
That sounds intense.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I guess if it's a passion/hobby and you're a petrol head, then the time it takes isn't really an issue.
You just want to look after the car as best you can.

It does sound like the outcome would be stunning!
I'll do a little research, but I've never undertaken anything like that before.
This is my first nice car lol.
Up until now they've been old bangers, not worth doing anything like that for.

Every single drive I take time to appreciate how nice the car is. How much of a step up from previous cars I've owned.
I may have to invest in products to take a bit more care of it than a standard wash every month.

You really know your stuff, should do a YouTube vid! I'm sure there's thousands like me who don't know a thing about it who'd appreciate guidence like that.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:55 pm

That was just a brief intro. It's the pleasure you get at the end and indeed the comments that you also get from other people. I forgot to mention quite a bit such as two buckets and drying cloths etc etc.

CNV00026.jpg

180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:43 pm

That looks fantastic, Vespa
Very classy colour

Halfords were selling off small bottles of "Shampoo and wax" for 80p recently so I grabbed loads and car looked great.
Wi ll use the Aqua Wax this weekend too, as I hear it might stop raining for half an hour.
2015 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 pm

Vespa that looks incredible!
Yeah it shows how much you do for it.

I can imagine there are alot of comments 😁
You've set yours apart

Mr_Grumpy

Post by Mr_Grumpy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Some guys on here really like a clean car. :D

Here's one thread I found: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6155

There was an even more detailed one going through everything in great detail. I can't find it now. Perhaps, someone has bookmarked it?
XE MY18 petrol Portfolio 2.0t from July 2017. Caesium Blue, Parking Pack, Cold Weather Pack, Powerfold mirrors.

From Sept 2015 to July 2017: MY16 180d Prestige, Rhodium Silver.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Mine is ready for a wash as it's dusty at present and in a few weeks will get the full razzamataz treatment. I can't risk it at present as yesterday it was going to get done but BBC weather made a few porkies with their forecasts and we got the odd light shower. That would have messed it all up, plus I like it a tad warmer to harden off the polishes and sealants.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”