Car shampoo recommendations please

The place to discuss everything else..
Mr_Grumpy

Re: Car shampoo recommendations please

Post by Mr_Grumpy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Here's another thread, also by billvega: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5206&p=60485
XE MY18 petrol Portfolio 2.0t from July 2017. Caesium Blue, Parking Pack, Cold Weather Pack, Powerfold mirrors.

From Sept 2015 to July 2017: MY16 180d Prestige, Rhodium Silver.

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm

@vespa

Haha they can never get the weather right now.
Global warming has ruined their predictability

Have you always washed it yourself? Never gone to have it washed?

Due to health issues I'm not really able to do it myself. So I go get it washed.

But they use my shampoo, which I'm running out of.
So I could either get the same one you use (which I may do as its clearly great stuff.)
Or let them use their foam. No idea how good it is tho. Autoglym I think he said.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:31 pm

Autoglym is extremely good stuff but a bit expensive compared to other equally good shampoos. Our Tesco has some good car shampoos on offer at present. I am not sure if this is nationwide though. I have used Triplewax for ages and it has just run out. I bought Halfords own in 2x 2.5 litrs and I don't like it. It defoams quickly and leaves streaks if not washed off as you go. I have also used Simoniz with Carnuabia wax and have just managed to get, a few weeks back,a 5 ltr bottle of that at a good price from Halfords. I am not into foams but they are very good adding another stage to the wash, lifting off rough debris. I must say that I usually do a final rinse on a standard wash with Demonshine as this gives a nice shiny looking layer and makes the water run off. It is now quite expensive and I luckily got 2x5 ltrs in a clearance at Morrisons petrol staion about 5 years back for £4 each.(I also had 2x 2.5 ltr of it in stock which is just coming to an end) I put that through an old Triple wax spray adaptor which is very frugal in application opposed to the Demonshine applicator which gobbles up the stuff. Dried with a Kent microfibre drying cloth it always looks very shiny. This week I succumbed to a numbing northerly wind and just gave it the once over with a rinse. It's OK but a bit blobby looking here and there, so it will get a good do in a few days when it warms up.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:17 pm

@vespa

That's so many variants, good to know someone has tried them all.

Yeah I was wondering if, wen my shampoo runs out I try their foam.
If I can find any at a good enough price though, I'll try the ones you've mentioned

The demonshine sounds like it's a must. To get a protective layer and have the water bead off sounds excellent.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm

The Demon shine is now quite expensive but can be added to a watering can and the car rinsed with it diluted of course. I use it as an inbetween waxes additive to the final rinse. Just as a matter of interest I bought a bottle of cheap Tesco branded polish several years back but it was a swine to apply and rub off. However the up was, it was superb to remove those hard to remove surface rubs that damage the shine like a scratch and it is also great for bringing back the piano black plastic to black again and shiny. Sadly I have not seen it since. Another product was Bettawear tyre shine. This was a thick creamy consistency that made the tyres shine like patent leather. Sadly no loger available in the original form.

BevC

Post by BevC » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:47 am

Halfords currently have some very good offers on the Autoglym range - I think it’s about 20%. There are also offers on some other products including Karcher and accessories from Meguiars.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:38 am

I found this after Bev's heads up on Autoglym. I think it is Demonshine under another guise by the same maker. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... x-rinse-5l

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:37 am

Vespa wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:38 am
I found this after Bev's heads up on Autoglym. I think it is Demonshine under another guise by the same maker. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... x-rinse-5l
Ah fantastic find.

I'm sure that this is something like the car wash guys use on mine.
After the shampoo, they open a new pack of chamois leather and dry it off, and spray this blue colour liquid on it. He said it was a wax that makes the water bead up (which in fact it does).

Could that be the same sort of potion as this?

If so, ill just look to get a new shampoo, (one of the ones you've mentioned) get them to use that, and then let them carry on as usual. 😊

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:46 am

Possibly a similar product.

Mike87

Post by Mike87 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Yeah I think it must be.
I'll go ahead and let them use that

And I'll just find a nice shampoo from the ones you've mentioned.
Any particular favourite?

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”