Long live the oil burner

The place to discuss everything else..
Fozzie1960

Long live the oil burner

Post by Fozzie1960 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 am

If the attached link is true then diesel may well make a serious come back.

https://www.bosch-presse.de/pressportal ... 55524.html
Portfolio 180 Auto / Italian Racing Red / Jet Leather Seats / Parking Pack with Camera / Memory Pack with Powerfold Mirrors / Heated Front Screen / Split Rear Seats.

wdig

Re: Long live the oil burner

Post by wdig » Mon May 06, 2019 9:50 am

Hope this works better than their last effort for VW!

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon May 06, 2019 10:03 am

Now they just need something to remove the smell! :lol: :lol:
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon May 06, 2019 10:17 am

I had a feeling there would be a second coming for diesels. The Bosch system has been under development for somewhile now and it appears to offer a solution to the NOX problems whilst maintaining low level CO2 outputs. Diesel has already come a long way and Euro 6 emission values will in themselves make a valid contribution to cleaning up their act. If the Bosch system can so significantly enhance those values then what's not to like. I did see some emission values from the Bosch system in another article and the NOX outputs were miniscule and in practice way less than some petrol engines. Seems to me VW have a lot to answer for in terms of the demonisation of diesel especially now there is a very real prospect it could become cleaner than petrol!
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Mon May 06, 2019 10:48 am

Sounds good.

But...

There is no real mention of particulates in the article, other than a handwavy commitment to less particulates.

I'd like to see it work, but I suspect that the various dieselgate things have made it unsellable to governments, whatever the technical merits.
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am

I really like the idea that emissions should be measured from well to wheel.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am

I think you are absolutely right that dieselgate has to be overcome. In many ways there is a degree of irony in all this, our beloved goverments(s) were very keen to promote diesel and even provided very worthy tax breaks if you went that route. Meanwhile all those in the real world just knew diesel was a dirty fuel and could readily see black smoke (and other hues) pouring out of exhausts pipes. I used to hate reversing my 2005 VW Passat up the drive way with my window open owing to the lung full of fumes I would inhale. However like so many others I was amazed to see 50 plus mpg and shed loads of torque. Really made some of the petrol co cars I previously had seem inadequate. Fast forward and it now appears as if petrol cars are being given a real run for their money in the NOX stakes with many diesel cars emitting far less NOX than many petrol engines and that is before the Bosch system is rolled out. I also suspect the particulate problem will be solved but let’s also not forget what harmful chemicals unleaded petrol has added to it to increase its octane rating.
Reality is all fossil fuels come at a cost along with....wait for it.....electricity. Contrary to popular belief power stations are fired by coal, gas or oil and not fairy farts as some seem to think. EV's will simply shift the problem albeit windy power does now seem to be viable and something the UK has in abundance. Shame it has completely ruined the sea and landscape views I remember so well but I guess that is part of the cost. You simply don't get nowt for nowt in this world.
Perhaps it is now up to those who can demonstrate the truth to get their public relations hat on and make us fall in love with diesel again?
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon May 06, 2019 3:40 pm

This comes from some time ago and, if it goes ahead, can be retrofitted, which seems like a much better solution.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... -two-years

Hopefully the university will make some serious money from this. I’d certainly be up for giving it a try.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon May 06, 2019 4:11 pm

There was some blurb a while back that altering the position of the DPF filter closer to the exhaust manifold would reduce the particulates better and the addition of the Adblue also closer killed off more of the Nox. I can't remember where I saw this though.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon May 06, 2019 5:09 pm

I can remember ‘pea souper’ smogs when I grew up that actually took your breath away and, in comparison, todays air quality is 1000 times better. The demonisation of diesel and, coming next, petrol has little to do with air quality and/or global warming and everything to do with the fact that oil is running out so everyone has to be frightened into switching to battery power
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”