Is the end nigh for Tesla?

The place to discuss everything else..
Cabby

Is the end nigh for Tesla?

Post by Cabby » Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 pm

The figures are not looking good at all for Tesla, and with another USD 550m due to be repaid in November, the question is will they be around in their current form in 2020?

There's an entertaining, irreverent and insightful summary in the link below from John Cadogan, an Australian motoring journo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THDX2xKySec

What are peoples views on the Tesla situation?
XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan, Privacy Glass, Parking pack, Powertrain badge delete and Radiator Grille with Gloss Black insert

Inpher

Re: Is the end nigh for Tesla?

Post by Inpher » Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 pm

If there is enough confidence from investors then they will survive. Even if they don't, the intellectual property and plant will probably be bought by an existing car manufacturer. So they will live on in some way or another!

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Tue May 21, 2019 10:50 pm

But what about Tesla residuals and the human impact on Tesla's workers?

I do agree though that the big car firms will have plans in place for a possible bid for when the time comes.
XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan, Privacy Glass, Parking pack, Powertrain badge delete and Radiator Grille with Gloss Black insert

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 am

Interesting indeed especially given I have money invested in Tesla! I've read that their manufacturing techniques could be considerably improved with attendant increases in production quantity and significant decreases in costs. I haven't yet listened to John Cadagon but I'm sure as ever he will have an opinion which will be damning. Not unsurprisingly I think much of Tesla's problem is a classic situation where the core business is dragged down by fiddling and diddling with barely related businesses, seen it time and time again. I've known so many companies that would still be here today had it not been for the insistence of an ill-informed board or directorship going on the acquisition trail and buying into hapless causes. My nearest customer was a world renowned/leader in its field until two idiots (one after the other could you believe) went on their respective buying sprees and eventually consigned the entire company to an office area once occupied by its service department.
Right let's now have a listen to Johns view, I’m sure he won’t hold back......
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 am

I tend to think that the brilliant minds who develop amazing technology often shouldn't try to run the company themselves.
Leave that to the professionals and stay in the background and keep quiet.
;)
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed May 22, 2019 7:03 am

Exactly and it's a crying shame these people are left unchecked and a law unto themselves.
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 am

The trouble with all electric cars is that they are all far too expensive. The Tesla range in particular, as it starts at a little over £41k for their base car. It's not for me I'm afraid.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Wed May 22, 2019 10:38 am

BRC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:03 am
Exactly and it's a crying shame these people are left unchecked and a law unto themselves.
Don't get me started on the cult of 'Leadership'. Many 'Leaders' don't know the basics about their business, even if they can paint a glossy vision of the future. It should be no surprise to anyone that they then run it into the ground.

BevC

Post by BevC » Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm

What really hasn’t helped Tesla are the videos online showing them in flames - not an encouraging thing to see and bound to put off a lot of potential buyers.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 am

Cabby wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:38 am
Don't get me started on the cult of 'Leadership'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZRe1kPWZw
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”