Sharing the Roads

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Sharing the Roads

Post by BevC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:46 am

It’s a terrifying prospect to think we share the roads with this type of driver - fortunately he won’t be driving again for a while.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/shocking-video-shows-hgv-driver-3162689
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Vespa

Re: Sharing the Roads

Post by Vespa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 am

Interesting Bev. I must say that I have never seen such bad motorway driving for years that I witnessed on the M40 &M42 on Saturday going to and from Gaydon. Absolutely horrendous bad driving with tailgating the favourite of most of the idiots. I thought that Smart motoways would make people drive better but the standards I saw on Saturday were abysmal.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm

M56 Sunday.... line of cars in middle lane, with inside lane empty, overtaken by police traffic patrol in outside lane but no attempt to pull any of them despite practice now being illegal!
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Angie K

Post by Angie K » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 pm

In reply to Vespa`s post. Do you mean bad Jaguar drivers going to and from Gaydon? I hope to get to the meet one day but at the moment have family commitments every Saturday. Take care everyone!

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 am

I'm afraid the roads are mainly populated by lunatics, as in the first post, or brain dead zombies as I experienced yesterday: I live out in the sticks, a good 80 miles from the nearest dual carraigeway but with mainly 60 mph roads that are fantastic for driving on with twists etc. On a daily occasion I across these genius's in a nose-to-tail convoy doing 45mph and leaving no gaps for those willing and able to overtake. Does no-one, apart from us Jag drivers under the difference between the following and overtaking position? :D
Corris Grey 25D AWD R-Sport

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:39 am

Angie K wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 pm
In reply to Vespa`s post. Do you mean bad Jaguar drivers going to and from Gaydon? I hope to get to the meet one day but at the moment have family commitments every Saturday. Take care everyone!
No mostly van man and dipsticks who stick in one lane blocking it when inner lanes are empty. The standard of driving now is now rubbish with no policing that is anywhere effective. The number of drivers not having any thought for others on the road is at an all time low. Tailgaters are the most dangerous in my opinion and if anyone wishes to see this first hand drive on a section of motorway under revamping to smart A**e standards. I am sick and tired of trucks, usually of other EU countries, trying to push me along even though my speedo shows just over 50 in the 50 area and I am in the inside lane. I have driven many thousands of miles on motorways and the driving standards have dipped dramatically in the past 5 years or so. I can see now that many who read this will think, penis capitus, old flatus. I have been driving 50 years on a full licence with no points, parking fines or police warnings. Just watch out for the nutters on the M42 and M40 and you will be fine. :)
Last edited by Vespa on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am

Rob Wright wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 am
I'm afraid the roads are mainly populated by lunatics, as in the first post, or brain dead zombies as I experienced yesterday: I live out in the sticks, a good 80 miles from the nearest dual carraigeway but with mainly 60 mph roads that are fantastic for driving on with twists etc. On a daily occasion I across these genius's in a nose-to-tail convoy doing 45mph and leaving no gaps for those willing and able to overtake. Does no-one, apart from us Jag drivers under the difference between the following and overtaking position? :D
Too many drivers seem scared to overtake a tractor or lorry on country roads and although I’m quite happy to overtake a line of three or maybe even four vehicles I’m not going to chance overtaking any more than that nose to tail. Drivers on the country roads round here also seem incapable of judging the width of their cars, resulting in them always driving two or three feet from the edge of the road and forcing me into the side as they pass.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Vespa wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:39 am
No mostly van man and dipsticks who stick in one lane blocking it when inner lanes are empty. The standard of driving now is now rubbish with no policing that is anywhere effective. The number of drivers not having any thought for others on the road is at an all time low. Tailgaters are the most dangerous in my opinion and if anyone wishes to see this first hand drive on a section of motorway under revamping to smart A**e standards. I am sick and tired of trucks, usually of other EU countries, trying to push me along even though my speedo shows just over 50 in the 50 area and I am in the inside lane. I have driven many thousands of miles on motorways and the driving standards have dipped dramatically in the past 5 years or so. I can see now that many who read this will think, penis capitus, old flatus. I have been driving 50 years on a full licence with no points, parking fines or police warnings. Just watch out for the nutters on the M42 and M40 and you will be fine. :)
Me too, then.
Drove home from York the other day. On an A-road with no overtaking points, a young lady in a Fiat 500 was doing 50 on the straight, open bits but braking to 30 whenever there was a side road, road sign or hint of a bend. Afraid I resorted to using the horn whenever her brake lights were on.
Incidentally, she was the slowest thing on the road so there were no cars within sight in front of her.
She waved me to overtake on three occasions - once on a left hand bend, once on a blind crest and once where there were chevrons and a pedestrian island in the middle of the road.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:34 pm

I think we have forgotten that there are many out there on wacky baccy as well.

Mitchbitch

Post by Mitchbitch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Just been for a jaunt along the coast, lovely weather and nice roads....but yummy mummies in their giant SUVs haven’t a clue to the width of there vehicles!! I’ve had to breath in ( squeezing my XE pass) as they hog the middle of the road. Also if an obstruction is on there side of the road, oh they don’t give way, no just plough on through😡😡.The standard of driving and general anticipation has declined, especially
In Sussex, maybe it’s widespread?
MY20 XE P250s R Dynamic caesium blue

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”