Warning of BT scam

The place to discuss everything else..
Vespa

Warning of BT scam

Post by Vespa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Today we got a spurious phone call stating our BT line would be cut off unless we pressed a certain key. Luckily my wife was too slow and gave me the phone in panic. By that time the call disconnected. On contacting BT I was told it was a scam and they would have asked for our email address. If given it could have led to them down loading malware via the opened email and any links. So be aware just in case any of you with BT get similar.
The number started with 01650 and that is a small village in Wales called Cemmaes Road. BT say they will look into it.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

spritely

Re: Warning of BT scam

Post by spritely » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this Vespa.
Mark
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

wecpcs

Post by wecpcs » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Vespa wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Today we got a spurious phone call stating our BT line would be cut off unless we pressed a certain key. Luckily my wife was too slow and gave me the phone in panic. By that time the call disconnected. On contacting BT I was told it was a scam and they would have asked for our email address. If given it could have led to them down loading malware via the opened email and any links. So be aware just in case any of you with BT get similar.
The number started with 01650 and that is a small village in Wales called Cemmaes Road. BT say they will look into it.
I had the same call a few days ago, but I just slammed the phone down before they could complete their message.
XE Prestige 2.0 Ingenium Auto, Fuji White, Light Oyster Grained Leather Seats & Trim, Adv. Parking Assist, Auto Dimming Power Fold mirrors with Approach Light & Space saver spare wheel.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 pm

This is an ongoing scam. We had 5 calls from 5 different UK numbers with a variety of approaches last week. Telling them to F Off seems to get the message across.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 pm

I also had three in one day a week or so ago, again all from different numbers, one from Shetland. Report the numbers to B.T., there is a low possibility that they can trace the true number back through the system from the scam number. The chance improves with the more info they get. There is every possibility that these are coming from abroad, but they still might be traced.

https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

Once upon a time, before computerised exchanges these things were impossible.

(ex B.T. worker)
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am

We regularly get a different one in the 'There's a problem with your BT internet line' phone call. I usually string them along for as long as I can, they want me to enable remote access for them.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 am

As others have reported it is a regular experience for me too. They are certainly tenacious as after being hung up on after the first call, the missed call list for the following hours is often a long one.....often as said earlier seemingly from obscure Scottish numbers.
Have tried reporting them to the hapless Telephone Preference Service TPS who claim that scams are not in their mandate and they just deal with dodgy sales calls,don't quite get the difference myself. Pointless reporting it to this no doubt very expensive service then......

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:24 am

Well I am glad it's just not us as we are ex directory so don't expect crap like that. I assume auto diallers are employed with it.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:28 am

Prestige wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 am
As others have reported it is a regular experience for me too. They are certainly tenacious as after being hung up on after the first call, the missed call list for the following hours is often a long one.....often as said earlier seemingly from obscure Scottish numbers.
Have tried reporting them to the hapless Telephone Preference Service TPS who claim that scams are not in their mandate and they just deal with dodgy sales calls,don't quite get the difference myself. Pointless reporting it to this no doubt very expensive service then......
TPS can't do anything because of the constant number changes. Report them to the link I put above. You don't need to be a B.T. customer.

Repeated here.

https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am

We get quite a few of these - not quite sure why they would want to cancel my BT phone & broadband when I don't have either......

Like Pete McK, I tend to play along with the scammers (figuring that the longer they are on the phone to me, the less likely they are to actually scam someone). If I'm busy I'll them that my wife deals with those things and then leave the phone on the table for 10 mins while I'm supposedly fetching her or if I have a few minutes to spare I put on a doddery old voice and act as if I know nothing about computers (32 years working in IT says differently) - I see it as a small victory if I can get them to the point where they start swearing at me.....
Last edited by Gaspode on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Portfolio 2.0D (180) AWD - Santorini Black

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”