Speed Limit Reductions

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Re: Speed Limit Reductions

Post by BevC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 pm

I am now becoming exasperated - our local County Council have done it again! When I made a rare trip on the A426 to Lutterworth on Sunday I noticed my speed warning flashing at me when I was doing 60mph. Somewhat bemused I kept going until I saw a speed limit sign saying 50mph. I had driven the same bit of road a week earlier and it certainly wasn’t there at that time. It got even more confusing on the return leg as there was a national speed limit sign followed a mile later by a 50mph sign - but this wasn’t reflected in the other side of the road. There is no warning that the speed limit has been changed.

The worst thing about this is the problem they are trying to solve of particularly poor visibility at roads joining this one and one of the worst staggered junctions I have seen is not going to be solved by reducing the speed limit - something more is required such as traffic lights at the staggered junction and making one particular side road one way so it no longer joins this road. There is a proposal of a huge garden village of 3000+ houses and a new junction from the M1 to join this road, which patently obviously can’t cope with current traffic levels.

I give up!
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 pm

The same thing here. They are going to put in a bypass road not far from us and reopen a junction that was deemed dangerous 30 years back. Now the road to be reopened has cars parked on both sides with just enough room for one car in-between. The reason being that the mugs where we live will not have the privilege of being able to turn right on the new road. That new road is an excuse to build another load of houses on land which is totally unsuitable for housing but will bring in £ks in rates. Did you know that there is a present a Gov directive to have pedestrian lights change more often on junctions all in the name of Covid 19. Those light changes that go to red for ghost walkers that never press the button or are ever seen. This new road is to alleviate traffic in the town centre river crossing. Fine, you may say, but they are also building another to do the same job as I speak. They have been at it 12 months now and from the progress I think it is one man with a shovel and wheel barrow. I am becoming convince traffic planning in the UK is being undertaken by 6 year olds as a class project.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:35 pm

I've no problem with slow drivers...individually. It's when the herd mentality sets in and they form a convoy nose to tail, that gets my goat!

I've got lovely NSL single carraigways for 70 odd miles in all directions around me where the Xe excels. I believe it's the intention of the "Authorities" to reduce it all to 50!
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Rob Wright wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:35 pm

I've got lovely NSL single carraigways for 70 odd miles in all directions around me where the Xe excels. I believe it's the intention of the "Authorities" to reduce it all to 50!
They tend to do it in stages. Reduce it to 50, wait a while then reduce it to 40 when they put the cycle lane in grrrrrr!!
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:54 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:00 pm
Rob Wright wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:35 pm

They tend to do it in stages. Reduce it to 50, wait a while then reduce it to 40 when they put the cycle lane in grrrrrr!!
Then speed humps and traffic calming except for the new added bus lane. :lol:

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:24 am

Just when you thought it couldn't get more stupid this comes along:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/ele ... r-BB16fDne
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 am

I think the cat is well out of the bag now with it being obvious that in a deranged attempt to get people out of cars they are making life as difficult as possible.
The latest example of total idiocy is in the last few weeks Slough Borough Council have introduced a bus lane on the main A4 running through the town centre all the way out towards Maidenhead.
Any of you who know this road know that once out of the centre it is free flowing and doesn't have any jams.
What was a free-flowing 40mph dual carriageway has been reduced by 50% capacity in each direction.
Apparently bus traffic on that section is about 1% of traffic.
They are trying to avoid the proper consultation process by making it "temporary".
Apparently it's to do with air quality/covid distancing for cyclists (never seen one on it!) and various other nonsense.
The idiots don't even realise they can't police it as it has no signs showing the designated times so it's not enforceable.
The quote from the council in the link is pure bull.
Pollution increases when you have tailbacks rather than free-flowing traffic.
They will eventually make it permanent via the back door of course.
https://www.sloughexpress.co.uk/news/sl ... -lane.html
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

lexie

Post by lexie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:50 pm

A few months ago BBC South Today interviewed an eco campaigner GP standing next to the entrance to the Woolston bridge. She claimed that patients at her nearby surgery were impacted by emissions from cruise ships docking in Southampton. I wasn't convinced, as the cruise terminal is on the opposite side of the city about 2 miles away and during the interview a succession of buses went thundering past continually going over the bottleneck of a bridge. (But then an eco puritan will never admit that public transport can be a problem).

Anyway, they interviewed her again last week, because during the lockdown traffic levels across the city were reduced by more than 50% and all of the ships are lying off Portland. Despite this the emissions levels in the area had gone up? No answer to that one. Made me laugh lots.

Rather than nonsense theories that we all need to be vegetarian or eat worms or only ride bicycles. I have some simple suggestions. Go back to life as it was 30+ years ago. Half day closing on Wednesday, nothing open on a Sunday and ureka, you've cut emissions by a huge amount very easily.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Plonkers in my town are planning more cycle lanes and bus lanes with cameras. Yesterday I was sat at traffic lights that allow buses to have priority from the left for about 25 yards and camera checked. Lo and behold the bus that triggered the stop for my side had no passengers on it at all. That camera for the 25 yards it applies "Buses Only" has brought in £Ks for them from unsuspecting drivers of various vehicles. They have made over £100,000 since they were introduced and it is part of their new Transport Plan. The town centre is dying on it's feet and millions are being pumped in to one of the 26 quarters we seem to have. Every new development is a quarter. I wonder who did those maths ?.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 am

Deleted User 732 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm
Plonkers in my town are planning more cycle lanes and bus lanes with cameras. Yesterday I was sat at traffic lights that allow buses to have priority from the left for about 25 yards and camera checked. Lo and behold the bus that triggered the stop for my side had no passengers on it at all. That camera for the 25 yards it applies "Buses Only" has brought in £Ks for them from unsuspecting drivers of various vehicles. They have made over £100,000 since they were introduced and it is part of their new Transport Plan. The town centre is dying on it's feet and millions are being pumped in to one of the 26 quarters we seem to have. Every new development is a quarter. I wonder who did those maths ?.
Shouldn't this be in the scam thread 😁
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!