Interesting Environment Articles Circulating the Interweb..

The place to discuss everything else..
bob_mcn

Interesting Environment Articles Circulating the Interweb..

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 am

I have no axe to grind, for or against, but this does make interesting reading, :?

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/the-grid/electric-vehicles-in-germany-emit-more-carbon-dioxide-than-diesel-vehicles/
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Zingiber

Re: Interesting Environment Articles Circulating the Interweb..

Post by Zingiber » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 am

Isn't the issue with diesels the NOx emissions moreso than the CO2?
MY2018 XE 25t R-Sport • Caesium Blue • Midnight Blue interior • InControl Touch Pro • 380w Meridian sound system.
It's got a CD player player player player player player

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:46 am

There's two issues. The global one is CO2 and the local one is NOX. Clearly diesels emit less CO2 than petrol vehicles and there are ways to mitigate the NOX. Somewhat ironic for a German company to be guilty of falsifying emmision levels and also for the German Govt to ban nuclear energy and rely on coal.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am

This just shows that there is a far wider picture to be considered with EV's although the "Emperor's new clothes" syndrome is so widespread alternatives either aren't considered or are slow to come on line.
The Aussie bloke who does the videos calculated taking in all factors, if Australia switched totally to Tesla cars overnight, the reduction in CO2 would be 4%.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 pm

However if we go back to horses and carts we will have methane and CO2 problems along with more pollution to welly production to trample through the horse s**t. The upside being the vegetables will benefit from the green natural fertiliser we will have in abundance, and everyone can go vegan. Roses will become the must have garden plant and all the roads will have less wear due to the layers of muck. For those wanting a sporty horse, we will be able to buy racehorses. For those wanting something bigger for the school run the shire will once again become popular. The sales of lawn mowers will slump dramatically but the upsurge in blacksmiths and farriers will make a major impact on unemployment. all the sugar supplies will be made into cubes and Polo mints for the horses. The added benefit of this will be healthier teeth as the sugar will become too expensive and rarer in the shops. No doubt after 100 years of this new green environment someone will develop an internal combustion engine using smelly fuels long forgotten. :mrgreen:

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 pm

That article is very dubious. Why add in the CO2 of the battery for the electric car? A fairer comparison would be to add in lifecycle CO2 of the electric car and the fossil fuel car? This should include recycling at the end of life.

The UK's energy mix is very different to Germany or Australia. Thankfully coal counts for less than 1% of our energy mix with renewables making up roughly 40% and nuclear 20%. Whilst the UK still has some way to go in order to catch up with the world leaders in low CO2 electricity production, electric cars will undoubtedly reduce both CO2 overall emissions and NOx emissions in our towns and cities.

Now for someone to point out that the UK doesn't have enough car charging points... :roll:

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:23 am

Now if this could be developed to a 'proper' engine, it could solve a lot of problems, currently mainly used for HGV refrigeration use instead of the 'old' diesel pumps. :geek:

https://dearman.co.uk/dearman-technologies/dearman-engine/
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:55 am

The Institute for Energy Research was founded in Texas, and maintains that free market solutions are the way to deal with global energy and environmental challenges.
I suspect that their research might not be in line with the scientific consensus.

BevC

Post by BevC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:12 am

Something else to take into account. It’s amazing how many sources of pollution there are. I’m still not convinced that electrickery is the way to go - think of the number of power stations that will be required just to charge the things let alone the chemicals to make the batteries, etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:56 pm

So how much electricity do you think it takes to run a refinery? The challenge will not be how much electricity but where the demand is required and how that is met by existing infrastructure.