Interesting Environment Articles Circulating the Interweb..

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Re: Interesting Environment Articles Circulating the Interweb..

Post by BevC » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 am

The interesting bit about this is the fact it is not compatible with older vehicles. I seem to remember having been here before when they stopped leaded petrol (for those of us old enough to remember this). Also of interest is that 15% of diesel sales is red diesel. That seems extraordinarily high.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:57 am

Just to confirm that the petrol Ingenium can take E10 petrol without any issues according to the manual.
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 pm

BevC wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 am
The interesting bit about this is the fact it is not compatible with older vehicles. I seem to remember having been here before when they stopped leaded petrol (for those of us old enough to remember this). Also of interest is that 15% of diesel sales is red diesel. That seems extraordinarily high.

Why is it of interest, at absolute most it applies to less than 8% of vehicles registered in the UK. It was mandatory for all cars sold after 2011 to be compatible, it's suggested that all cars back to 2001 are compatible and in reality it will be all cars back to 1992 when it became compulsory to have a catalyst and lambda sensor (Euro I).

Older cars with a carburettor could have the jets changed but in reality the difference is minimal.

The chances of damaging material in the fuel system is also negligible at this concentration of Ethanol.

I don't know why the national press and motoring press make such a storm about a non issue. It's reducing CO2 emissions, is unlikely to attract a price change and in reality most people wouldn't know the difference.

In terms of red diesel, when you think about how much is used in agriculture and maritime applications it doesn't seem out of proportion.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:37 am

Why is it always the car to blame? Never aircraft, diesel locomotives, lorrys and wood burners are all pure as the driven snow. We also have those nasty power stations and the rest of the developing world :lol:

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:01 am

Vespa wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:37 am
Why is it always the car to blame? Never aircraft, diesel locomotives, lorrys and wood burners are all pure as the driven snow. We also have those nasty power stations and the rest of the developing world :lol:
Easy target.
If you look at the breakdowns of CO2 production, the car is pretty well down the list.
Overall UK CO2 emission has fallen 28% in the last 10 years.
We are now at a level equal to that in 1888.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:05 am

PhilB wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:01 am

Easy target.
If you look at the breakdowns of CO2 production, the car is pretty well down the list.
Overall UK CO2 emission has fallen 28% in the last 10 years.
We are now at a level equal to that in 1888.
Exactly ! Money making con. (check your pm Phil)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 am

Replied.
:D

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:23 pm

Wastegate84 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 pm
BevC wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 am

Why is it of interest, at absolute most it applies to less than 8% of vehicles registered in the UK. It was mandatory for all cars sold after 2011 to be compatible, it's suggested that all cars back to 2001 are compatible and in reality it will be all cars back to 1992 when it became compulsory to have a catalyst and lambda sensor (Euro I).

Older cars with a carburettor could have the jets changed but in reality the difference is minimal.

The chances of damaging material in the fuel system is also negligible at this concentration of Ethanol.

I don't know why the national press and motoring press make such a storm about a non issue. It's reducing CO2 emissions, is unlikely to attract a price change and in reality most people wouldn't know the difference.

In terms of red diesel, when you think about how much is used in agriculture and maritime applications it doesn't seem out of proportion.
E10 has a lower calorific value than E5 and also potentially a slower burn, meaning a potentially lower BMEP without timing adjustment. Result, lower economy, lower power, more CO2. I don't suppose that it'll be cheaper at the pumps either.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:12 pm

I cannot see a government staying in power if this comes to pass.... :shock:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3518 ... r-road-tax

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/motorcycle-ved-co2/

Here is the actual GOV proposal document....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _final.pdf
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 am

Why don't we just have a flat rate for all powered vehicles including the new high speed milk floats at say £170 each. Then a calculated geen tax on the fuel used inc electric charging. I find this new tax system absolutely stupid and it has actually stopped me upgrading to a newer car. So B***OC*S to the now ridiculous new religion of climate change. Yes, by all means reduce contamination but do it sensibly. As a nation we are one of the best for reducing emissions all round and then it could be better by better road planning. There are several hotspots in WARRINGTON (dump) that are engineered to cause delays and increase emissions. One particular road is currently being monitored for emissions and the traffic lights at the town end now have longer stop times causing the emission/pollution monitors to get false manufactured readings.