Retrospective RLF increases :o

The place to discuss everything else..
pauljobr

Retrospective RLF increases :o

Post by pauljobr » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 am

They are talking about bit, but whether they will actually be able to do it is another thing.
It would mean an increase for me as I only bought in Dec 2018 so would be liable :o

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3518 ... r-road-tax
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.
XKR, X100 4.2-s Copper Black, Ivory leather.

Previous:
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

bob_mcn

Re: Retrospective RLF increases :o

Post by bob_mcn » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 am

Yep i'm in the same boat (car)?)

here is the actual document as put out by the Government Dick Turpins...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _final.pdf
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:03 am

The government really doesn't like big/powerful internal combustion engines - their days are numbered.

I really want to drive a massive V8 before it becomes impossible due to crippling taxes. A BMW M5 perhaps, or a Mustang, or an XFR.
2015 XE S in Italian Racing Red

wdig

Post by wdig » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 am

The government missive gives an address for comments, I am sure expecting none as few will have got as far as finding the document in the first place.
I would encourage as many as possible to respond.
Just some points to make - retrospection has never been introduced in the history of the RFL. (We had a Golf diesel in 2000 which was taxed for its lifetime on engine size (1900cc). Identical 2001 models were taxed much more leniently as they were taxed on CO2, whose levels were identical to the 2000 model)
Retrospection would make no difference to new car choices
People buying cars do so taking account of government advice at the time (diesel reduction in CO2 etc)
Such retrospection would cause marked drop in value of relatively new cars, leading to earlier scrapping than otherwise, itself environmentally unfriendly due to the environmental cost of car production.

Also, in general, promoting electrification of larger more expensive cars acts against UK manufacture as even JLRs I Pace is made in Europe.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 am

I suspect the decision making process probably goes something like this.... “Lets look at changes we can make to RFL to protect the environment. How does that impact revenue? Oh, sh*t it reduces it significantly! How can we claw that lost revenue back? What if we make the higher charges on the most polluting cars retrospective? Yeah, that seems to do the trick!”
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

wdig

Post by wdig » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Probably a bit late but today is last date for comments on these proposals which could cost those with cars registered post 2017 a lot of money.