Is your car spending more time being unused???

The place to discuss everything else..
Bazzamf

Is your car spending more time being unused???

Post by Bazzamf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:13 pm

With this Coronavirus issue, the usage of my car has dropped dramatically. Being a little over 70 the advise for me is to stay at home. If I stay at home, the car stays at home. No trips to see friends and relatives, days out etc. The only trip now is to the empty shelved supermarket, which is something to look forward to I suppose??? :roll:
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Deleted User 732

Re: Is your car spending more time being unused???

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Slightly the opposite for me as I have become a foraging rat for food due to inconsiderate b**ta**s buying up everything and hoarding. Being totally stupid I thought it fairer just to buy as normal and now am paying the hard way for being what I thought was being fair. Today was the first time I was able to shop and it was in Marks and Spencers with full shelves. I still haven't over bought as there was hardly anyone in the massive shop here in scumbag land. Yes I am annoyed, but still have my principles of just getting a normal shop so that hopefully someone else also has a chance of getting supplies. I have wipes in the car made at home with old bottles of isopropyl alcohol I bought to clean model train mechanisms. I use those to wipe the trolley down and then again on my hands on return and the trolley again so the next person has a clean trolley. Then hand washing properly at home when I return. About 12 months ago I was contacted by the Government to see if I would be willing to be available in the event of a national emergency and I said yes but now after all the panic buying I would feel different.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

I'm not 61 yet, and mine is still being used, although a lot of the places I'd normally go have closed :(

There will still be some driving to go places for walks and the like, as I really can't see how driving to the seaside for a walk along the beach is any more risky to my health than going for a walk around a local park in the Black Country :o

There will also be some shopping trips for my parents, as they are both at least 15 years into the "don't go out" age bracket, and they aren't going to shop online - they have decent interweb, but the old man is less likely to get a credit or debit card than I would be to swap the XE for a skateboard :lol:

Biggest travel problem we've currently got is that we were planning to go to the World Science Fiction Convention in Wellington, New Zealand in the summer, and the number of ways that is currently looking like a bad idea is just silly, unfortunately :cry:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 pm

I don't use my car on a regular basis anyway. I take it out for a 30 minute spin every weekend, just to keep it ticking over. 4-5 times a year I'll go south on a family trip and stick 1800 miles on it over a few days. Was planning a trip at Easter, but that might have bit the dust!
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:23 pm

I underwent radiotherapy in December/January, and as the side effects increased, I stopped driving. I got back to it a couple of weeks ago, only to find all my usual outings have been shut down.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:20 pm

On the plus side, the roads are significantly less busy now, so makes going out for a cruise to nowhere much more enjoyable.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

EagleOne

Post by EagleOne » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:08 am

My commute is now 5 minutes, via the kitchen to make a cuppa. Unfortunately my XE isn’t involved. I dare say the novelty of working from home will wear off very quickly. :|
MY18 XE R-Sport 25t Caldera Red

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 am

As non-essential travel has been advised against I'm sure a lot of cars will be doing a lot less mileage for a while.
I've had to bin my usual Easter break to Cornwall as it's non-essential.

As regards the virus, there is a lot of nonsense and speculation on social media and on the web generally.
By all means chat about it and discuss it but keep to the facts as they are known at the time of writing.

As an example of the nonsense being posted, I've seen one already that says it's due to climate change and was released from the melting permafrost - an ancient curse on us all.
:roll:
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

EagleOne

Post by EagleOne » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 am

No less believable than some of the other nonsense I’ve heard.
MY18 XE R-Sport 25t Caldera Red

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:21 am

MY XE was about to do less mileage as I have an XKR for taking out at weekends and sharing Jaguar meets, such as Jaguar Drivers club or Breakfast Club etc.

But with the imposed travel restrictions I will be doing a lot less, as I won't be traveling anywhere for work, my relatives live 100 miles away and my mum is in 12 week lockdown anyway. I might as well SORN the XKR for a couple of months having only just taxed it :(
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.
XKR, X100 4.2-s Copper Black, Ivory leather.

Previous:
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.