Surprising news from the BBC

The place to discuss everything else..
PhilB

Re: Surprising news from the BBC

Post by PhilB » Wed May 06, 2020 8:48 am

It happens quite regularly.
"Excess winter deaths" recorded by the Office for National Statistics are available online.
1990/2000................... 48,000
2014/15........................44,000
2009/10 was an "average" year..........26,000

This is going to be a very bad year but (and it's a big but) until there are full statistics and excess deaths can be compared to previous years there won't be a clear picture.
On BBC breakfast this morning a Govt Minister was asked about the UK having the "highest number of deaths in Europe".
On the BBC website there is a good article from their health correspondent saying we cannot compare our figures to other countries due to method of recording and the fact that other countries are not showing all deaths in the community as we are etc etc.
It has been made very clear over and over that at this stage you cannot compare.
Perhaps their presenters should read their own website first ?
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

I have become to view the BBC as a left wing propaganda unit with inaccurate "fake news" as El Trumpo puts it. Their programmes are 99 % rubbish and any that are rated are usually made by an independant maker and sold to them. Too many high paid non jobs producing piffle like Strickly quim dancing, East Rag enders and the like. Why are there so many presenters doing one programme. Three nerds to watch someone buy houses, do them up and sell them. "Escape to the country" yet another inane load of rubbish. Then we have a gang of 4 football fans getting paid £ks to talk drivel about a bloody rubber ball and 22 overpaid kickerists, while mugs pay out hundreds of pounds to watch it all. It is all stuffed down your throat day in day out, when there is that bit from the norm. I never saw anything mentioned about my recent infection on the news and that was just as newsworthy as anything else on there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

BevC

Post by BevC » Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm

It does beg the question whether the licence fee is an out of date way to fund this particular organisation - it really does seem somewhat archaic in this day and age. Would I pay given the choice? Absolutely not.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

lexie

Post by lexie » Wed May 06, 2020 4:01 pm

The license fee needs to be less than £90 and the BBC needs to slim down and go back to basics. That's the elephant in the room again 😄. The kids don't watch it they can get everything they want from Netflix and Amazon for less money. I saw something that said the BBC wanted the license fee to by linked to council tax, i.e. some people would pay a lot more. Attitudes like this will make it extinct, it's audience will be in 25 years
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Wed May 06, 2020 6:59 pm

Ooo where to start with this one! I think the time has come for the BBC to be a subscription service. Like any other organisation with guaranteed funding there is an enormous amount of waste! Think NHS! Just look at the size of the news room and the amount of people in there when it sweeps across before any news broadcast! Personally, I hate adverts on the radio and only listen to BBC stations. Also I don't have Sky so match of the day is my only source of football highlights! Having said that, it could be the guy from the local pub presenting it as I record it so I can skip through all the bollocks between the games! No need for some ex footballers on stupid money to give their professional opinion! If it was a subscription service I may well pay it, as long as it is at a reasonable cost and value for money! Phew!! 😁
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm

I've long believed the BBC is no more than an audio/visual version of the Guardian newspaper. Both are utter tripe that lost touch with reality years ago. As for their appalling coverage of the virus then surely they should be bought to task and disbanded forthwith.
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu May 07, 2020 7:38 am

BRC wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm
I've long believed the BBC is no more than an audio/visual version of the Guardian newspaper. Both are utter tripe that lost touch with reality years ago. As for their appalling coverage of the virus then surely they should be bought to task and disbanded forthwith.
I agree. The pay to view channels end up putting their programmes on Freeview channels in the end anyway.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 pm

BRC wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 pm
Nailed it^
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Thu May 07, 2020 9:12 pm

The BBC are spinning the pandemic to influence their viewers and push their political view or bias. It's a disgusting misuse of what is supposed to be an independent public service. Maybe they need reigning in, but certainly there needs to be a serious review of their bias and political agenda.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri May 08, 2020 7:38 am

ChrisGB wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:12 pm
The BBC are spinning the pandemic to influence their viewers and push their political view or bias. It's a disgusting misuse of what is supposed to be an independent public service. Maybe they need reigning in, but certainly there needs to be a serious review of their bias and political agenda.
I couldn't agree more. I am at present watching BBC Breakfast with that horrid woman, Munchetty, spouting propaganda. She is useless as a presenter.