Driving Licence Renewal

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Driving Licence Renewal

Post by BevC » Mon May 18, 2020 4:31 pm

My mother is currently having an issue renewing her driving licence. She has glaucoma in one eye and has to have a sight test done by an Optician in order to renew. For obvious reasons in the current climate this is not possible and despite having contacted the DVLA by email on numerous occasions has received no response. She also told me that a key worker she knows has one of the photo card licences which is due for renewal and she has also been unable to do anything about it.

I know that MOTs have been extended by 6 months, but have not been able to find anything about driving licences. Does this mean that if your licence expires during lockdown you are no longer legally able to drive?
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Thorn

Re: Driving Licence Renewal

Post by Thorn » Mon May 18, 2020 5:49 pm

There having been no provision for an extension, unfortunately, yes. If the licence has expired, unfortunately she can't drive.

Zingiber

Post by Zingiber » Mon May 18, 2020 5:50 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona ... g-licences
Applying for renewing a driving licence with a medical condition

We are currently facing delays in issuing driving licence renewals for drivers with a medical condition.

This is because, with NHS staff rightly focused on the nationwide response to Coronavirus, if you have a health condition requiring further information or examinations, there are likely to be significant delays before NHS doctors, consultants or opticians are able to provide us with the information we need to be able to make a licensing decision and send you a new driving licence.

Providing you have a current driving licence and you have not been told by your doctor or optician that you should not drive, you will be able to drive while DVLA is considering your application.

Road safety is our top priority and by law, all drivers must meet certain minimum medical standards and drivers must ensure they are medically fit to drive. All drivers must notify DVLA of the onset or worsening of a medical condition.
MY2018 XE 25t R-Sport • Caesium Blue • Midnight Blue interior • InControl Touch Pro • 380w Meridian sound system.
It's got a CD player player player player player player

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 pm

I was googling the same site when Zingiber's post came in.
I don't find it wholly clear. It talks of delays in their getting information from doctors and opticians, but says "providing you have a current driving licence...." it says nothing about driving after expiry.

Zingiber

Post by Zingiber » Mon May 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Thorn wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 pm
I was googling the same site when Zingiber's post came in.
I don't find it wholly clear. It talks of delays in their getting information from doctors and opticians, but says "providing you have a current driving licence...." it says nothing about driving after expiry.
Taking the below document into account along with my earlier link, I would assume it's OK to drive after expiry.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -with-dvla

Can't say for certain however. I agree it's not very clear cut.
MY2018 XE 25t R-Sport • Caesium Blue • Midnight Blue interior • InControl Touch Pro • 380w Meridian sound system.
It's got a CD player player player player player player

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:07 pm

I take it you have tried phoning the DVLA? I haven't done this since the Covid-19 outbreak, but prior to this, I had similar issues regarding my mothers driving and the people there were generally very helpful.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi Bev you could try DVLA web chat. I’ve used it in the past and got through very fast after waiting for ages to get a reply when I phoned. Obviously there may be a problem now but worth a try.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

MalcolmT

Post by MalcolmT » Tue May 19, 2020 12:29 am

I had a problem with renewing my licence.
They kept wanting info from my doctor - and (this is before the lockdown) kept me waiting.
Their letter DID say I could continue to drive.
It took over a year before I had my new licence, but without that letter from them saying I could drive, I was probably on dodgy ground.
I went to my M.P. , who was great. They rang for me, and at one point got told my application had been on a desk for 3 weeks, and she was about to send it to another department. But I had a letter saying I could drive, so what was the problem.?
Best of luck with them.
I'd start the renewal process,, and see what happens.

BevC

Post by BevC » Tue May 19, 2020 10:01 am

Thanks everyone for your help. I will pass this on to my mother. The really daft thing is she didn’t actually need to declare her glaucoma in the first place because it only affects one eye. I’m really glad I still have an old school paper licence, which I refuse to give up, although I have lost count of the amount of times I’ve been told it’s not legal!
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm

I also still have the old paper licence and like you, often get comments about it being illegal, even from the dealership when I had to produce it in there for an I.D. check.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport