Re: Driving Licence Renewal

Post by Gojira » Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm

According to the evil gummint website :D

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence

quote:
You must get a new licence if:

you change your address
your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed
you change your name - you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2, you can get them from most Post Offices
you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it for a photocard version.

end quote

Interesting that it doesn't mention adding extra classes if you pass another test....

Oh, and the website also says contact the DVLA if you need a replacement urgently.
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

MalcolmT

Post by MalcolmT » Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm

I had an old paper licence with my Mum's address.
When I checked, it had to be an address through which I could always be traced.
And not necessarily my current address.
I gave it up when we sold Mum's house.

A second point - I live in Northern Ireland, and a friend with an English licence was constantly told he had to change it.
His answer was, I think, perfect.
"As I can drive in most of the world on this licence, I presume I can drive in part of my own country"
That always shut Plod up.

Alanqs

Post by Alanqs » Tue May 19, 2020 4:41 pm

I think the dealers are picking up the wrong thing. The paper part of the photocard license was abolished on 8th June 2015 and has no legal status.

The original pink type driving license before the invention of the photo card is still perfectly legal and runs until the age of 70, or if you change your name, or your address.
Caldera Red P250 HSE. Clear Sight mirror, powered boot and some other stuff

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:58 am

New updates regarding driving licences including renewal of photo card and medical. It also includes information about MOT extensions.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona ... -19-update
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

MalcolmT

Post by MalcolmT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:00 am

Interesting.
Thanks.
Here in Northern Ireland we go through Coleraine, not Swansea (for licences) although the rules are broadly similar.
After I'd had a stroke, and a pacemaker fitted (which are both listed), I rang DVA and they weren't interested.
I also told my insurance company who were "Thanks for telling us"
No change to my insurance, or at renewal.

Angie K

Post by Angie K » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 pm

For all those folk coming up to their 70th!! I had to do this recently. Did it all on the DVLA website. No problem at all. Usual questions. Didn't have to send in a photo for the photocard, they take the picture from your Passport photo. How good is that! So if your passport photo is a reasonable likeness no problems.
R sport 25T(MY2018) petrol caesium blue. Sunroof. spare wheel. folding rear seats. 19" wheels. Pro screen. plenty more......

wdig

Post by wdig » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Irritating thing is you lose your C1 entitlement unless you undergo a medical - potential problem if you have a large motorhome.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 am

I’m not sure that the paper part is “illegal” now, but you definitely don’t NEED to produce it for anything anymore (the paper part I’m talking about is the one I would have had as somebody who passed my tested in 2004)
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm still using my paper licence that was issued in 1992, the last time I changed address - and Yes, it is still legal.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:35 pm

147daytona wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm still using my paper licence that was issued in 1992, the last time I changed address - and Yes, it is still legal.
I can beat you by a long way. My driving licence was issued in 1977, I was living with my parents then. I moved away after a while but had a few short term addresses and never bothered to change it. Then in the 80's I bought the house from my mum and I'm still there now. My original licence when I passed my test was £1 or maybe £2, I can't remember exactly. Not bad value and it will last until I'm 70 unless I move away before then. It is very fragile now and I try not to take it of my wallet much. It is still in the original plastic sleeve too. :-)
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.