Driving Licence Renewal

The place to discuss everything else..
JAGDH

Re: Driving Licence Renewal

Post by JAGDH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm

147daytona wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm still using my paper licence that was issued in 1992, the last time I changed address - and Yes, it is still legal.
Is there any benefit to using the paper version? I tend to shred paper records as soon as I can personally, so wondered if there was any benefit to it other than nostalgia?
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

JAGDH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm
147daytona wrote:
I'm still using my paper licence that was issued in 1992, the last time I changed address - and Yes, it is still legal.
Is there any benefit to using the paper version? I tend to shred paper records as soon as I can personally, so wondered if there was any benefit to it other than nostalgia?
Firstly it lasts until you are 70. A plastic licence has to be renewed every 10 years, at a cost. It is also possible to forget to renew it, that would result in a fine. Certain groups of vehicles were covered by the old licences that aren't covered by the newer licences. Also why change something if you don't need to? People very rarely have to show their licence, mine is still in its original plastic wallet and is over 40 years old. Finally, hey its good fro the environment :-)
2018MY R Sport. 25D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm
JAGDH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm
147daytona wrote:
Firstly it lasts until you are 70. A plastic licence has to be renewed every 10 years, at a cost. It is also possible to forget to renew it, that would result in a fine. Certain groups of vehicles were covered by the old licences that aren't covered by the newer licences. Also why change something if you don't need to? People very rarely have to show their licence, mine is still in its original plastic wallet and is over 40 years old. Finally, hey its good fro the environment :-)
Didn’t know about the 70 year validity - Doubt I have mine still now, and I might have forgotten to renew mine once, Assuming that was true and did actually forget.... luckily never got pulled over or in trouble during that time so nobody seemed notice :lol:
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm

JAGDH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm
Didn’t know about the 70 year validity - Doubt I have mine still now, and I might have forgotten to renew mine once, Assuming that was true and did actually forget.... luckily never got pulled over or in trouble during that time so nobody seemed notice :lol:
Quite a few people have been caught out by the plastic licence renewal.
I did mine a couple of years ago and it was dead easy online as has been said you just put your passport number down and they use your photo.
Very important to check when it's next due for renewal as people have forgotten and been fined.
Not sure about losing any groups as mine still has the C1 and all the other stuff that was on my paper licence.
I think they may have changed some of the technical aspects of some of the groups but I'm pretty sure I can still drive the same stuff as always.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:35 pm
147daytona wrote:
I can beat you by a long way. My driving licence was issued in 1977, I was living with my parents then. I moved away after a while but had a few short term addresses and never bothered to change it. Then in the 80's I bought the house from my mum and I'm still there now. My original licence when I passed my test was £1 or maybe £2, I can't remember exactly. Not bad value and it will last until I'm 70 unless I move away before then. It is very fragile now and I try not to take it of my wallet much. It is still in the original plastic sleeve too. :-)
I got my licence in 1978 and have only had to change it that one time, in 1992 :D
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

wdig

Post by wdig » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:07 pm

PhilB - obviously a youngster. Your C1 entitlement expires on your 70th birthday unless you undergo a medical.
Times change - my parents got their licences without a test. Even better, my late father applied for a motorcycle licence at 16 and was sent by mistake a full licence for all classes, so started driving the family car.