What's in your media system?

The place to discuss everything else..
Kaikoura

Re: What's in your media system?

Post by Kaikoura » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm

Bear with me on this one it's a long story...

Back in 1971 I bought the album Madman Across the Water by Elton John. This was one of those flat plastic disks that you scratched with a pointy thing to extract the sound. It was, and still is, a brilliant album and I played it to death on a variety of hi-fi systems over the years.

Eventually it was replaced by a CD, which did away with the myriad of clicks, hisses and clunks from the old record. Now many people said "ah yes but vinyl sounds better than digital". But not that I really noticed on the rubbish headphones I was using at the time.

Fast forward to 2004 and I was wondering what to do with my old LPs. I had chucked out my old hi-fi and turntable many years before. So I bought a modern turntable that linked to a computer. Now I could convert my old albums to digital format. So out came the Madman album and I copied it to iTunes. Unfortunately it still had all the original clicks, hisses and clunks. So at that point I gave up.

Well on Saturday night I was looking through my iTunes library and stumbled across the album. So I had a quick listen and thought this will sound great in the car, perhaps I should download a 'proper' version from the iTunes store. So onto the store I go and have a quick listen. Well it seems that their digitally remastered version is pants, so I didn't bother to buy it.

Instead I downloaded my copied version onto a USB stick and loaded it into the car. Apart from the clicks, hisses and clunks it sounds absolutely brilliant.

So how can a worn out old LP, that has been converted to digital format using a cheapish deck, then loaded onto a USB memory stick, then downloaded to the car memory, sound better than a 'remastered version (ignoring the clicks, hisses and clunks of course)?

Anyway, after 40 years, I can say that vinyl is indeed better than digital. Even vinyl converted to digital :?
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm

I often wonder if the general public, especially the younger generation, will ever experience high quality audio. I think Itunes is AAC format which is pretty low fi but "should" sound OK ish. The quality of the itunes file will depend on the format, but also the quality of the master and the transcription to aac format.

I've found that the Meridian system will reveal the difference between .mpg at 320kbs and .flac lossless at up to 1400mbs.

I've got a decently revealing hifi at home, each format has it's strengths and weaknesses. I find analogue better suited to music where there is lots of tonal complexity, whereas digital is stronger in the low frequency areas. Due to the suspension ofmy business for many months due to the covid shizzle, the purchase of a decent setup for high quality streaming has been put on hold. It'll be intersting to try master quality audio format. Could be very good. Trying to decide on setup currently. Could be Chord Qutest or possibly invest in an amp with built in feature like the Arcam SA30.

Nothing in the media system today as I didn't use the car. A bit of Kyle Eastwood band at home this evening was good though. I've one of his albums on both vinyl and CD, so is good to compare the playback medium.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Just downloaded True Love Waits by the Coronas. They are an Irish (soft) rock band. This particular track features the delightful Gabrielle Aplin. Only chosen because of her Camaro Z28 T-shirt :D

Richard Green

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

Mr_Grumpy

Post by Mr_Grumpy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Following the untimely death of Walter Becker of Steely Dan I put all their albums onto a USB stick and played it constantly for about a month. Yes, I was that sad. :( But I'm over it now. 8-)

It still gets played occasionally, usually when my wife's not in the car.

It's good music for long distance cruising.

XE MY18 petrol Portfolio 2.0t from July 2017. Caesium Blue, Parking Pack, Cold Weather Pack, Powerfold mirrors.

From Sept 2015 to July 2017: MY16 180d Prestige, Rhodium Silver.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:07 pm

If you want some easy listening then I can recommend Ezio and Black Boots on Latin Feet. It suits the Meridian :D

Richard Green

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:30 am

New from Powderfinger
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

fred

Post by fred » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 pm

some cool songs on here.. why not an XEForums public playlist on Spotify that everyone can add to ?

fred

Post by fred » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm

here you go... search for XEForums on Spotify or use the link below

It is a public list and collaborative .. so anyone can add to it. I have already added most of the songs suggested on this thread. You don't need a subscription to play this list or add to it.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Qqme ... QJ3qD2Exiw
Last edited by fred on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

This came up at random this morning - I think the Bonzo's version is better, but it is interesting !

and the line about "Lots of LSD" predates the discovery of lysergic acid diethylamide, so it must mean pounds, shillings and pence :lol:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Just listened to this track on YouTube and my first thought was that every Jaguar owner would appreciate the lyrics "f----d up in a beautiful way" :lol:

Richard Green