SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 732

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm

This came from one of my friends in the Railway World. Don't get ripped off.

Absolute SCUM BAGS!!!!🤬😡😱
And so it begins!
Just to let you know these phone calls are going round.
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gives address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalize this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £50 for the kit and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'
'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts the phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.”
Don't fall for it...! COPY and PASTE
:twisted: Another gang of rogues :twisted:

Gojira

Re: SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

Post by Gojira » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Fortunately, I don't have to worry too much about my parents falling for that - they refuse to use plastic, which is the main reason why me and my sister have been doing their shopping during lockdown! :lol:

But I'd be surprised if there weren't scumbags trying it on, to be honest - we regularly get calls saying that our "Amazon Prime needs renewing, and it will cost 39.99. Please press 1 to continue."

That's right, they don't mention a currncy unit, so they can use the same script whatever country their system has dialled for them...

It's about as annoying as the atutomated calls telling me my broadband is going to be cut off by BT for misuse if I don't pay them some money. I'm not sure how BT can cut off a Virgin cable broadband customer, although I suspect they'd like me to move over to them! :P
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 am

Aaand it looks like the " Hello, I'm from BTOpenreach, we've been told that there is a problem with your broadband" scammers have come out of lockdown :roll:

We hadn't had one of those for months, but the lady that rang me just was very insistent that Openreach provide the connections for Virgin...

I explained that they don't, and the fact that she didn't know that made it even more likely that the call was a scam.

"But it can't be a scam, I haven't asked for your personal details!"

"Does your mum know what you do for a living?"

Click.

Score one for the geek with the beard! :ugeek:

Actually, I should have tried to play her along for longer, but I'd got IMPORTANT things to do like make a cup of tea for SWMBO :lol:

Just a gentle reminder that the scum haven't given up...
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

JasperTheJag

Post by JasperTheJag » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:12 am

Hey all... plenty of these going around at the moment. I work in information security, so if anyone has any concerns, please feel free to drop me a message.

Best piece of advise I can give... verify, then trust. If someone claims to be from 'company x'... get their number elsewhere and call them back. Bank cards often have the banks number on, for anything else, head to their website and go from there.

You'd be surprised how successful scam calls (vishing) can be.
'17 180D R Sport, Firenze Red.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:27 am

Well I had a great offer this morning and bought 5000 shares in the oilfields in the Pennines for just £5 each. The nice getnlemun was speaking with a Madgascacr accent and he will be sending me my certifercattes in the poste. I know it's not a scam as he read back my bank details fully. :lol: :lol:

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 am

Before I retired, I was a user-side IT guy in a large organisation, so I completely agree, Jasper.

Probably the worst we had was someone who got a phishing email from a bank they disn't use...

"I wonder what happens if I click on this?"

The answer was, the PC started behaving strangely, and I unplugged the network cable, turned off the PC, then called IT!

Fortunately, it hadn't got onto the network, but the PC had to be rebuilt.

After that, most folks, apart from some of the bosses, would at least check if they got something dodgy :mrgreen:

(added before I hit send! )

Oh, and Vespa, can you get me some cheap unleaded from your oilfields, please? :P

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 am

I will ask Mr Magumbee to have it delivered to you. :lol:

JasperTheJag

Post by JasperTheJag » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Gojira wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 am
Before I retired, I was a user-side IT guy in a large organisation, so I completely agree, Jasper.

Probably the worst we had was someone who got a phishing email from a bank they disn't use...

"I wonder what happens if I click on this?"

The answer was, the PC started behaving strangely, and I unplugged the network cable, turned off the PC, then called IT!

Fortunately, it hadn't got onto the network, but the PC had to be rebuilt.

After that, most folks, apart from some of the bosses, would at least check if they got something dodgy :mrgreen:

(added before I hit send! )

Oh, and Vespa, can you get me some cheap unleaded from your oilfields, please? :P

I'm dealing with a business right now who've done pretty much the exact same thing! Worst bit is, it happened 12 months ago too and they learnt nothing as a business. Still... keeps me in a job!
'17 180D R Sport, Firenze Red.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Several years back we had a phone call on New Years day from a woman who said she was from the Mastercard provided by Shell Fuels. She started off by asking was I at home. The answer was yes of course. I understand phones can be redirected to another number. Then she wanted to have some details. There I stopped her and she insisted it was a genuine call. I asked her for details of mine that I knew, if it was a genuine call would have to be correct. At first she was a bit reluctant but eventually I got enough info from her to trust what she said. Blow me she was genuine and my card had been cloned and was being used in Italy. They had had a great time with it buying a £1000+ camera, hotel stays and meals. They were just in the action of using it again when a clever restaurant manager where they were got suspicious and checked it out. Needless to say the police were informed and they were arrested. I had to sign a form listing all the purchases were nothing to do with me. The card was stopped there and then and I got a new card a few days later. It transpired later that Shell garages were all being fitted with fraud readers by a gang who repaired and serviced the card readers. It was well publicised at the time and hundreds of cards had been cloned.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:53 pm

I got Sky Landline/Broadband about 4 years ago. I know they are all very much of muchness but the one thing I love is Sky Talk Shield. Anyone who rings you has to say who they are. Your phone then rings and you hear whatever they say repeated. You then press 1 if you wish to accept the call or if not you can send it to your voicemail or add the number to a blocklist. You can also set a list of numbers of friends etc who if they ring come straight through without having to say who they are. If you are expecting a call say from a bank, you just switch it off for a few minutes. It really does put the scammers off. I used to get all the usual suspects, Microsoft, Talk Talk, You've won a million, Claim this claim that etc etc. I would say 3 or 4 a week on average. Now I never get any. The only downside is I do actually miss baiting them sometimes.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual,
40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel
2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,