Vespa gone?

The place to discuss everything else..
moose

Re: Vespa gone?

Post by moose » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Vespa has been on this forum as long, or longer, than I have. The information that he has supplied to members has been invaluable to many especially in the early days of the XE.

There are always a few that know far better than anybody else and , unfortunately this time, it has meant that a very valuable member of this forum has decided to leave.

So if you are reading this Vespa, please reconsider coming back and don’t let the armchair experts rule the roost.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am

Oh no! :o , just read this thread after the w/e... Come back Vespa!
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Vespa would like to thank everyone who has replied to Phil's post about him going and their good wishes.
Maybe we will be able to meet up with him at a Breakfast meet in the future.
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:01 pm

I hope he does reconsider, he is extremely knowledgeable and as mentioned earlier, forums needs dedicated people like him!
MY 17 XE S 340 Yulong White, Pan roof, 18 way seats, heated wheel, power folding mirrors, powered boot, split folding seats

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:30 am

Forums are full of people who are initially disgruntled with some aspect of their car/service and then continue to post on them. Most people seem to be decent though and have an interest in their car, plus a desire to help and be helped. I think that sometimes the issue is that the written word can be taken out of context and, for example, a genuine request for further information can be seen as very negative.

I think that after a short break, Vespa may reconsider his position. He was very patient, courteous and helpful in the responses that he gave to my questions. A sad loss if he decides to permanently leave the forum.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:15 am

Of the four car forums I regularly visit this is probably the best in terms of general communication. But I agree with Jeff that sometimes what is written can be taken out of context and even seen as a personal attack. I saw a recent response to a post by Vespa that made me cringe slightly. I think the post was probably relevant but with hindsight it might have been phrased better. However you see a lot worse on other forums and Facebook groups. The challenge is to not let it wind you up.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:35 pm

The simple answer is to read through your post carefully before pressing "submit".
As the moderator on here I have to do that several times as there are some who like to score points or knock out a big dose of pedantry with something I might post from time to time.
In the nearly 5 years I have been moderating on here there's only one genuine member (plenty of spammers) that I have had to ban.
Most aggrieved parties tend to have a good rant then disappear thankfully.
Yes, the written word can be taken the wrong way but luckily this forum is generally very well behaved and people get on well.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:39 pm

I wonder how many other people would be missed on this forum like Vespa seems to be. I am one of those that used to look for Vespa's replies on various subjects just to see what he had to say. He was always helpful, a very good communicator and sometimes had a story to tell.
Come on Vespa, reconsider your decision and come back. You are sorely missed.
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am

Bazzamf wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:39 pm
I wonder how many other people would be missed on this forum like Vespa seems to be. I am one of those that used to look for Vespa's replies on various subjects just to see what he had to say. He was always helpful, a very good communicator and sometimes had a story to tell.

...well apart from Vespa I would miss PhilB - and not only for the fact that we share the same name and I actually do look like Phil's Avatar! :lol: :D
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm

UV Blue wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am
Bazzamf wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:39 pm

...well apart from Vespa I would miss PhilB - and not only for the fact that we share the same name and I actually do look like Phil's Avatar! :lol: :D
I agree with you UV Blue. I can't comment on the Avatar though. All I know is that Dennis the Menace was one of my favourite Comic characters in the good old days. I can't remember whether he was in the Beano or Dandy. Perhaps PhilB can enlighten me. :?
Bazzamf - 2017 XE 200PS Petrol Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black