Updated the Contents of My Glove Box

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Updated the Contents of My Glove Box

Post by BevC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:18 am

In anticipation of the end of shielding on 31 July I have added a pair of disposable gloves, a small bottle of hand gel and a disposable face mask to my glove compartment (just in case I need them). This is in addition to my handbooks, glasses cleaning cloth and lanyard from my track experience with the XE and F Type. I also keep a pair of prescription sunglasses in my glasses holder, a tin of mints in the centre console and a small water flask in the back arm rest. I’m ready to go out now - just waiting for 1 August.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Kaikoura

Re: Updated the Contents of My Glove Box

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 am

Sounds almost exactly the same as the contents of mine. In addition I have a hi-vis vest in the drivers door pocket. Another eBay purchase :D

s-l1600.jpg

Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:44 am

You could probably sneak into any Jaguar factory / Workshop wearing that

Mine is currently completely occupied by one of those portable jump starters. It would take up less space if it wasn't in the box. It also has an LED Torch and can be used as a backup charger for your phone. Never had to jump the car with it, but assume it will work as it states up to 2L Diesel engines which the guy in Halfords assured me means it'll be fine on the Jag :lol:

There were bigger options that don't fit neatly in the glovebox, so opted for the most compact that said it would work on my car. I may get some sort of boot organisers so I can store it in there. The Glovebox is a good place to put small items when it's in for a valet.

Annoyingly on the UK models, Valet mode doesn't lock the glovebox (It does lock the boot), and you have to do it with the blade key - Then make sure you don't lose it as if you were to leave it with the key at the valet company they could just go into the glovebox anyway.

To clarify I know that using this mode for a "valet" as in a car wash means they will skip the boot, but I'm okay with that - And also aware that they probably mean and intend for this to be used for "valet parking" and not a clean :)
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:39 pm

The only problem with storing a jump starter in the boot is that, if the battery is flat and you have to resort to the blade key to get into the driver's door, you can't open the boot lid to access the jump starter. I've stored my jump starter just behind the rear seat to one side of the 'flap' behind the armrest so I can fish about through that to get to the jump starter. Although I've never had a totally flat battery on my XE (yet), I have had one on another car on returning to it after a week parked at the airport, but luckily that car's boot could be opened with the blade key. The lack of a mechanical means to open the boot from the outside is a real design goof with the XE, IMHO.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:58 pm

chrisjp wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:39 pm
The only problem with storing a jump starter in the boot is that, if the battery is flat and you have to resort to the blade key to get into the driver's door, you can't open the boot lid to access the jump starter. I've stored my jump starter just behind the rear seat to one side of the 'flap' behind the armrest so I can fish about through that to get to the jump starter. Although I've never had a totally flat battery on my XE (yet), I have had one on another car on returning to it after a week parked at the airport, but luckily that car's boot could be opened with the blade key. The lack of a mechanical means to open the boot from the outside is a real design goof with the XE, IMHO.

That is a very good point. I must admit that when I swapped my Vauxhall for the XE I just chucked the jump starter in the boot as I have always done. I might need to have a re-think :?
Richard Green

I know what's wrong and if I could find it I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)