Tuning Boxes

The place to discuss everything else..
Post Reply
XE123
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 am
Location: West Midlands

Tuning Boxes

Post by XE123 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:15 am

Just a bit of an update about tuning boxes for you all.

A while back I posted this description about the differences between a tuning box and a remap.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9131

I saw a tuning box company advertising on Facebook. Claiming various things like "Improved MPG, Safer than a Remap etc."

I decided to ask them how they achieved these results without accessing the full software map on the car. They basically said that the box contains a map and that it then transfers that map to the ECU but doesn't edit whats on the ECU.

I asked how it achieved that using just the fuel pressure sensor cable and the boost pressure sensor cable. They responded with some generic rubbish about getting in touch to understand how they work.

I then asked "So your boxes don't just falsify the signals coming from these sensors to trick the ECU into upping the boost pressure?"

Rather than replying, they deleted the comment and then blocked me from putting any more on their facebook page!!

Don't get me wrong, these boxes might be the right way for some people. They are easy to fit and removable. But at least sell them for what they actually are! No need to lie about having "Maps" on them that "Communicate to the ECU" etc. Just sell them for what they are, just the equivalent of those old "resistor based tuning boxes" you could get on eBay back in the day!

Rant over!
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

Hillmangt
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Location: Purley, Surrey, UK

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by Hillmangt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:58 am

That told them!
I agree they should not misrepresent the product.
XE 2.0t 200PS Auto Prestige, Italian Racing Red, 2015 lots of toys.
Mercedes C320 Elegance Auto. Petrol. Eibach springs. Twin K & N Filters. Staggered 18 in replica AMG wheels. 2001.

ChrisGB
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm sure I've seen some tuning box type things that you plug into the OBD port or the ECU itself. They reflash the ECU overwriting the stock map and sometimes storing a copy of the original map for returning the car to standard calibration. You unplug them once the map is written, so not a running box as such. Personally, I'd still rather have a proper map done on a rolling road with detonation detection and lambda sending hooked up.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

XE123
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by XE123 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm

ChrisGB wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 pm
I'm sure I've seen some tuning box type things that you plug into the OBD port or the ECU itself. They reflash the ECU overwriting the stock map and sometimes storing a copy of the original map for returning the car to standard calibration. You unplug them once the map is written, so not a running box as such. Personally, I'd still rather have a proper map done on a rolling road with detonation detection and lambda sending hooked up.
I think those are ones done by Bluefin. They are a much better option than the "Piggy back" ones offered by a lot of companies.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

ChrisGB
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by ChrisGB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:11 pm

XE123 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm
ChrisGB wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 pm
I'm sure I've seen some tuning box type things that you plug into the OBD port or the ECU itself. They reflash the ECU overwriting the stock map and sometimes storing a copy of the original map for returning the car to standard calibration. You unplug them once the map is written, so not a running box as such. Personally, I'd still rather have a proper map done on a rolling road with detonation detection and lambda sending hooked up.
I think those are ones done by Bluefin. They are a much better option than the "Piggy back" ones offered by a lot of companies.
I've used piggyback modules on modified stuff, but they fit onto the ECU and allow alteration of all sorts of parameters. They are ok for tweaking timing, boost and mixture in open loop areas of the ECU map, but they cause chaos if any of their electronic meddling takes place in areas where the ECU is running in closed loop. Standalone module or reflash is definitely best. Having said that, mapping time gets extensive when setting up quad cam fully variable vvt setups!
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

spritely
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Llanon/Wales

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by spritely » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm

XE123,
May we be permitted to know the company please?
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

XE123
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by XE123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm

spritely wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm
XE123,
May we be permitted to know the company please?
Let's put it this way. Their name seems to suggest that they particularly target TDI Tuning.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue / 25t R-Sport / 19" Wheels / Cold Climate Pack / 825w Meridian System / Full Screen Dashboard Display

spritely
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Llanon/Wales

Re: Tuning Boxes

Post by spritely » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 pm

XE123 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm
spritely wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm
XE123,
May we be permitted to know the company please?
Let's put it this way. Their name seems to suggest that they particularly target TDI Tuning.
Enough said. Thanks.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Post Reply