Insurance surprise

The place to discuss everything else..
Fighterpilot

Insurance surprise

Post by Fighterpilot » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:45 pm

It's that time of year again and the car insurance is due. I got a quote from my current insurer Aviva and was surprised to get a price of £280 inc full RAC cover, £0 volutary excess, £0 compulsory excess, legal cover and protected no claims. The usual hidden extras for windscreen damage and repairer choice are there, which seems common to most insurers now. I thought that was a good price "Fully Comp" If I added a voluntary excess of £100 I would save another £10.
R Sport 180D 2015

Gojira

Re: Insurance surprise

Post by Gojira » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Eeek - My quote with my current bunch of cowboys went up by almost £200 this year... :o

Then again, I'm in one of the rather less posh DY postcode areas, so I'd be more than happy if I could get mine for nearer your figure :D

That reminds me - I must spend a couple of hours digging out quotes next week, ready for my renewal in early April!

I tried the day I got the renewal notice, and no one would quote for the reewal date I neede, because it was more than 30 days away :roll:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:28 pm

According to money saving expert, about 24 days before your renewal is due is the best time to get the cheapest quotes!
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

Colt

Post by Colt » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:36 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:45 pm
It's that time of year again and the car insurance is due. I got a quote from my current insurer Aviva and was surprised to get a price of £280 inc full RAC cover, £0 volutary excess, £0 compulsory excess, legal cover and protected no claims. The usual hidden extras for windscreen damage and repairer choice are there, which seems common to most insurers now. I thought that was a good price "Fully Comp" If I added a voluntary excess of £100 I would save another £10.
I’m with Aviva.
Free windscreen cover and choice of repairer no excess but I got £100 excess. It’s the aviva premium level cover.
I’m waiting for my renewal price to drop thru the door end of the month so it might change from last years.
🇬🇧 2019 XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, Ebony headlining, 18” black alloys, advanced park assist, heated front screen, 12x12 way heated electric seats, heated power fold door mirrors. Spare wheel.

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:10 pm

Perhaps there have been less claims being made due to the covid restrictions
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

DABroke

Post by DABroke » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 pm

I am with SAGA, and my insurance premium for this year is 37p more expensive than last year!

I thought this was quite good seeing that I had to claim for a windscreen replacement last year, and a genuine OEM screen (heated) was fitted for just the cost of the windscreen excess which was £75.
MY20 Carpathian Grey P250 R-Dynamic HSE. Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Matrix Headlights, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Rear Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Configurable Dynamics, 360 Camera, Clearsight Mirror, Convenience Pack, Red Brake Calipers + load more stuff!

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:53 am

Insurance renewed now for a price I can live with...

Got a couple of quotes I was relatively happy with, and then rang up my existing provider to cancel.

"What is your best current quote, Sir?"

Give them a slightly lower number....

"The computer says we can get within a pound of that"

So I'm now only paying £80 more than I was for a 160hp Insignia 10 years ago - I can put up with that, if I have to :)

A real shame you have to jump through all the hoops to get a "sensible" quote though! :roll:
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Colt

Post by Colt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Colt wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:36 pm
Fighterpilot wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:45 pm
I’m with Aviva.
Free windscreen cover and choice of repairer no excess but I got £100 excess. It’s the aviva premium level cover.
I’m waiting for my renewal price to drop thru the door end of the month so it might change from last years.
So renawal price went up £50 to £356.
I phoned them and tried to haggle with regards to cheaper quotes online. They weren’t having any of it. After weighing up the pros and cons I decided to stay with them. The main reasons were £0 excess on windscreen fix or replacement and £0 excess on choice of repairs if needed 🤞I won’t. Also they let me pay monthly for no extra charge so I took that option as a way of getting my own back 😂. Anyway I’m happy now as I could have got it down to £290 thru go compare but with extra excesses for windscreen and choice of repairer it’s swings and roundabouts.
🇬🇧 2019 XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, Ebony headlining, 18” black alloys, advanced park assist, heated front screen, 12x12 way heated electric seats, heated power fold door mirrors. Spare wheel.

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:13 pm

An update on this price I got. I saved it in the quotes and revisited to purchase. I contacted them via email to make sure it wasn't a mistake and was told that the price on that quote was "new customer" and the price would be the renewal price quoted of £380. They do not price match or alter their quotes. I was a bit annoyed and went around other insurers with quotes much less BUT no full RAC cover included and excesses of anything up to £500 to get a lower price. There were some that didn't have some of the features I wanted like legal cover and NCB protection. At present I am most likely going to stay with them but am still looking until renewal. I may even use a comaprison site but some don't quote on those sites. I wish insurance wasn't one big con with loophole clauses everywhere. :cry:
With a different company my home and contents was priced down after a quote comparison (£30) with another company. I think the comparing quotes game will soon be over for all. It will be, "that's the price, take it or leave it
R Sport 180D 2015

lexie

Post by lexie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:58 pm

I go through this exercise most years with my existing insurer. Each year the renewal increases by a ludicrous percentage, so I go on their website and get a quote which is always similar to my existing premium.

It used to be necessary to lapse the old policy and go with their new web quote, (as they had no other way of matching their own price on the phone). Although they seem to have got their act together in the last couple of years.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats