Brake lights out?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
JAGDH

Re: Brake lights out?

Post by JAGDH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 pm

FishyMcGee wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:29 am
Just had the "offside brakelight replacement" experience myself. What a faff. I mean, I got there in the end, but talk about making simple jobs difficult in order to encourage people to think "f*** it, off to the dealer to change a £3 bulb".
Yes I remember the days when you didn’t need a forum to find out how to change a bulb on a car, and I don’t think I’m even that old.

I remember a couple of LEDs going out on my A4 rear cluster last year and the only way to fix them was to replace the entire light cluster :lol:
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

JAGDH

Post by JAGDH » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

billvega wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am
Britannia wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am
Hi All

Mine Offside brake light not working for a couple of days. Got the warning triangle on the dash.
:!: :?: :shock: :? I thought there was no warnings for bulbs. This was confirmed by jag assist guy and by this forum!

If that’s true it’s pretty disappointing. I think my 1997 BMW told me when a brake light or headlamp was out..... Indicators just flashed more quickly than usual but enough to alert you.
XE 2L Diesel [180] R-Sport (2015/65 Plate/MY16)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 am

JAGDH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm
billvega wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am
Britannia wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am
Hi All

Mine Offside brake light not working for a couple of days. Got the warning triangle on the dash.
:!: :?: :shock: :? I thought there was no warnings for bulbs. This was confirmed by jag assist guy and by this forum!
If that’s true it’s pretty disappointing. I think my 1997 BMW told me when a brake light or headlamp was out..... Indicators just flashed more quickly than usual but enough to alert you.
JAGDH wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 pm
FishyMcGee wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:29 am
Just had the "offside brakelight replacement" experience myself. What a faff. I mean, I got there in the end, but talk about making simple jobs difficult in order to encourage people to think "f*** it, off to the dealer to change a £3 bulb".
Yes I remember the days when you didn’t need a forum to find out how to change a bulb on a car, and I don’t think I’m even that old.

I remember a couple of LEDs going out on my A4 rear cluster last year and the only way to fix them was to replace the entire light cluster :lol:
I trust you realise you are quoting posts from 2 years ago so you may not get any reply ?
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

smp1

Post by smp1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi Guy's

I have had this problem and many many more unfortunately.
I hope i have this correct....When I looked at it, it would appear that the bulb spring contacts are either dirty or in my case simple do not have enough "spring" to firmly hold the bulb in place under vibrating conditions. (fix just bend contacts).
However Jaguar have nicely added monitoring software to this circuit and upon it detecting an intermittent or lost contact the computer turns off BOTH brake light bulbs on the affected side. But then if you do a restart the fault is reset and the brake lights will work again until you lose contact again upon which the computer turns off the brake lights on that side!!!
So in my case every time i started the car and checked the brake lights they worked fine, i then drive off and the vibration causes one of the bulb not to illuminate and the software turns off the brake lights until the journey is complete.
Also there is a fault code generated but no dashboard warning.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:03 pm

I've just had the misfortune to have my car serviced by Pentland Perth. They have merged the Jaguar franchise in to the nearby Land Rover faculty. After picking up my freshly serviced car, my wife is driving behind me and calls me to tell me my nearside brake light isn't working. At first I thought it was just a blown bulb, but then I noticed that the bulb is working on engine start, but not on subsequent brake pedal activations. I return to the dealer to ask how they managed to miss this during the service. "It was working when we tested it" is their answer.

To fix the problem they tell me I need a new LED Assembly at a cost of £201, including fitting (not sure if that included VAT). I tell them that the brake light uses bulbs, and so they change tack and say that the LED board controls the brake bulbs and that it's this PCB that has failed. Replacement of the entire nearside lamp assembly is the only remedy.

Something didn't smell right, and I had a vague memory of reading this thread a few months ago, so I left the dealers without any work being done. It was slightly nervous driving home in case I happened to brake in front of any police cars. I got home safely and read Phil's advice at the start of this thread. Low and behold, both brake bulbs on the nearside were "insufficiently seated". Once I pushed both in to the holder, and reassembled the car, to nobody's amazement, the brake lights were working correctly (and legally) again.

So thank you Phil for your Public Service, and for saving me £201. I owe you a pint at least.

Finally, it was mentioned above that at least one dealership knows of this problem and how to fix it. Is this common knowledge amongst all dealers? Does Jaguar notify all the facilities when a single dealer manages to solve a problem?
2016 XE Portfolio in Italian Racing Red; 2.0 Diesel (180PS)

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:18 pm

They probably do all know about it but think that us Joe Public are all thick and they can make a few quid by charging us for work that they won't actually do, they'll just mess around with the contacts like is advised on here!
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:04 am

The Fraud Act 2006 defines "Fraud by false representation" as
(1)A person is in breach of this section if he dishonestly makes a false representation, and intends, by making the representation—
(i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
(ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
(2)A representation is false if it is untrue or misleading, and the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

The question is do Pentland Jaguar technicians know that a loose bulb can trigger these symptoms? If that is the case, then falsely representing that the symptoms can only be remedied by replacement of the entire lamp assembly is fraud by false representation.
2016 XE Portfolio in Italian Racing Red; 2.0 Diesel (180PS)