Jaguar XE Forum banner

Waze for idiots.

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Kaikoura 
#1 ·
I am the idiot and I need some help from a non-idiot. And yes, I have tried to find the answer using search.

I have an iPhone 7 with CarPlay and a 2016 XE with InControl Pro. The iPhone has the Waze app loaded and I would like to use Waze on the InControl screen.

So far I have not even managed to get CarPlay to link. I have connected the phone using the cable, opened CarPlay in phone settings, pressed and held the voice command button on the steering wheel. The phone searches but does not find the vehicle.

I should mention that I do also have InControl Apps loaded onto my iPhone. As a result I can see a limited number of apps on the screen, but nothing of any use.

So having failed to make any real progress I am asking for the assistance of a knowledgeable person.

The first and most obvious question is can I actually get Waze to display on the screen or am I pissing into the wind on that one?

The second question is could I be missing an InControl update that activates CarPlay? I did see a screen saying the system is up to date but for the life of me I cannot find where the software version is displayed. Neither can I find the 'system up to date' message again :?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Richard,
I have a feeling you may be out of luck, I remember we had a lot of discussions around this when it was being released and I believe that it was only for MY18 vehicles i.e. registered 2017 onwards. If yours is registered in 2016 then it might not have the right connectivity/programming to work with Carplay.

If you can have Carplay you would have Carplay settings in your media setup.

Paul

#3 ·
Hi Paul,

Thank you for that.

Based on your comment I did a quick check and it seems Jaguar did not offer CarPlay until the MY 2019 cars. However I did stumble across the mention of a "complementary InControl upgrade" which adds a Smartphone Pack to the Touch Pro, including CarPlay. What is not clear is whether the older cars can benefit from the upgrade. I have emailed the dealership who sold me the car and asked the question. I am now waiting for hell to freeze over before I get a reply.

Richard

#4 ·
Hi Richard,

As far as I am aware only MY17 and MY18 can receive the free InControl Touch Pro update that includes the Smartphone Pack. The pack became standard on MY19 onwards.

#5 ·
Stephen said:
Hi Richard,

As far as I am aware only MY17 and MY18 can receive the free InControl Touch Pro update that includes the Smartphone Pack. The pack became standard on MY19 onwards.
Thanks Stephen.

#6 ·
One very simple thing to check, is the cable you are using to connect the iPhone the genuine Apple cable ?

There were lots of early issues connecting a phone with a third party cable and I am not sure if they were fixed or not.

Bob

#7 ·
moose said:
One very simple thing to check, is the cable you are using to connect the iPhone the genuine Apple cable ?

There were lots of early issues connecting a phone with a third party cable and I am not sure if they were fixed or not.

Bob
Interesting point Bob.

I have about 20 cables around the house and in various cars. At least two of them should be proper Apple ones. The question is which two :lol:

#8 ·
Managed to get a response from the dealership regarding the smartphone upgrade.

The good news is that they didn't specifically say it would not work with a 2016 car.

Bad news is the response I received:

Although the retro fit for Apple Car play is available for pre 2018 vehicles this has been temporarily suspended.

This is because some of the software is not compatible and the current update can render your system in-operable

They may re write and re launch the programme or may decide not to.
My money is on Jaguar taking the 'can't be arsed route'. But I can live in hope.

#9 ·
Waze is so good that you don't need it on the screen, you just need to be able to hear it.
Set the journey up on the phone, connect the phone to the car and run Apple Music, throw the phone in the arm rest box and your set.

The audio instructions are so clear, you won't miss the map

#10 ·
Stephen said:
Hi Richard,

Maybe I'm mistaken but couldn't a 2016 car be considered MY17? For example, the early cars from late 2015 are considered MY16 - So a car from later 2016 might still be considered MY17?

#11 ·
Yes, my march 2016 with 10" screen is 2017 MY model.

Also I was updated to carplay a year ago under warranty, when I had a bluetooth dropping out fault. They just updated the sw and it came with it.

I think it tells you the model on Topix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.