Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
mistral_blue

Re: Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Post by mistral_blue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Astonatic wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:11 pm
Hi Guys/Gals
I have a 66 XE Caesium blue 2.0R-Sport...love it! (7k miles)
I have the screen washer bottle issue. It is dumping 600ml of washer fluid overnight and more during the day. It has lost a full 5 litres in one day on 3 occasions!
I've noticed (can't miss to be honest) Water pouring out of the bottom of the offside wing section and also nearside floor pan area underneath the headlight washer area but the whole underfloor tray is soaked.
I have photographic evidence and a daily log of journey details and fluid loss.
All pipework to washer jets are fitted and showing no leaks so my guess at the moment is a split fluid tank which leaks when flexed.
Jaguar service centre hav'n't been able to find the problem but have agreed to investigate further which (i'm advised) may mean the outer wing will have to be removed.
Has there been any conclusive (and common) evidence as to what the problem is so i can give them some idea?
Many thanks for your assistance in advance.
Mine is also leaking from the offside area, like you I have taken photos and have quite a bit of evidence now. The car will be going back to Jaguar again for them to have another look as it's not good enough!! I wouldn't have thought it was the washer bottle at fault as that is over the other side of the car... My money is on the headlamp wash system...
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi, Thanks for posting.
I'm losing 650ml every day if i go out and 150mm when stationary. I noticed after a journey on Saturday that although the lid was correctly sealed on the washer bottle . the inner wing was drenched, rear of head lights wet and water had been pouring thro' the inner wheel arch airflow disrupter down to the ground. This isnt happening on the passenger side. Its in Jaguar's on Tuesday so hopefully it will be sorted. I'll let you know. Cheers.

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Jaguar had car for 2 days. Confirmed my findings and also replicated on brand new XE which had just been delivered. Dealers have raised the issue with Jaguar who advise that this problem has not been reported. I'd insist all owners with this problem complain and ask for it to be raised with Jaguar.
Having analysed the problem and possible causes I'm going to try an experiment. I have a theory it may be siphoning and I think I know why.

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah I think it is an un-reported fault and also believe it to be siphoning. With any luck there will be a TSB along shortly if we all complain about it! Am going to get my car booked back in for another look by Grange. I am going to insist it goes back to Jaguar for further investigation if they can't find it this time as I have multiple photos of it wetting itself all over the floor now... ;)

I reckon it's the headlamp wash system causing the issue - perhaps it needs an NRV fitting before the headlamp wash or something...?
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 pm

I have just filled up my washer bottle with around 500 mls after 3 usages over 4 days. If there is siphoning can you please explain how it is working as I would think 500 mls would be about right for the amount sent to the screen (possibly also a lamp wash). I am not implying you are wrong as I am just curious. I don't have any seepage under my car and think that the bottle is just not big enough compared with some other cars and their systems. The VW Passat I had used a fan spray over the screen and that was very economical on washer fluid. It also had what seemed a bigger reservoir. The XE seems to spray quite a lot of wash liquid with just a small press and seems to be timed.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Not sure about OP but I'm losing about 4-5L... :shock: See exhibit A, B, C & D - it is definitely leaking and the fact it keeps on going suggests it is siphoning as there are no pumps audibly running... I reckon once it gets started having been primed by pumps a leaky jet/pipe means it just keeps on going... Have just booked it in again with Grange on 12th Dec for another look... (pics dated 29 Sep, 19 Oct, 30 Oct - 2nd to bottom pic was after parking and getting stuff from boot, bottom pic was after being stood for only 10 mins!)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:38 am

A definite leak of some description and you are right in your assumption of siphoning, which makes me think more is amiss at the pump end also.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:49 am

@mistral_blue,

Could you be experiencing the same issue as Chas379? Have a look at the latest post but one on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5198&p=62265#p62265
Ordered: P250 S; Portofino Blue; Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seats; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Can I now join this club please?
Mine is dripping from the undertray on the front nearside as well.
Nothing like as bad as Mistral Blue's - I'm getting a drip a minute so it should take a week or two to empty!
:lol:
I last used mine on Thursday evening and had to use the washers a couple of times so got the headlamp wash.
I'm thinking back but that could have been the first time the headlamp washers have functioned on mine so I'm convinced that's the culprit.
It's in the right place inline with the washer and no leaking prior to that.
Definitely washer fluid as it's smells of the purple fruity Halfords stuff I use.

Going to open up the wheelarch liner when I get a chance and try and see what's going on.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am

Went down to the dealer's this morning and mine is booked in for next Monday.
They have ordered a couple of new washer units in anticipation.
Mine has now slowed right down so the thinking is that the headlamp washers aren't closing properly after spraying.
Depending on how much would depend if you get a drip or a dribble or it dumps the whole bottle.
There was a comment that the design had been changed so I'll dig into that a bit more next week.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”