Jaguar XE Forum banner

windscreen external plastic trims

27K views 111 replies 26 participants last post by  sfletc 
#1 ·
Photos to follow as they are on my other phone.

Drivers side external windscreen trim blew off today whilst on M26.

Bottom section luckily got trapped in bonnet edge/joint.

It's a piece of t shaped plastic which clips into a stainless channel.

Why didn't they just use a rubber seal like every other car?

Not impressed for this to happen on day 2 of Jaguar ownership. Taken my old beast to 150mph and never lost any trim even on the 'ring'

Someone in another thread told me to look at the outside if I question the xe build quality. Unfortunately I just have on the hard shoulder.

So two lifetime firsts for me this week.

1) got a Jag
2) stopped on motor way hard shoulder

See less See more
#4 ·
Did you have to use the emergency button.

#6 ·
I must say that the number of faults reported so far, amongst a relatively small number of deliveries, is cause for concern.
I suppose that the truth is that the cars are being produced in a brand new facility (which is fine) by a largely brand new workforce (which possibly isn't fine!) In theory, the much revered Quality Assurance should detect any mistakes made by the newly trained operatives, but the system doesn't appear to be working well.
I only hope that they can get it together before JLR's reputation, sales, and future are damaged.

#11 ·
It's in the garage and I have a hire XE for now, not the same but at least I'm mobile. Had to get the MD involved and at last I feel something will get done about it.
Have a feeling I'm not going to see my XE for some time :-( but if it means she will be fixed when I get it back then that's a big plus.

#14 ·
Not good at all, the last couple of days have been hell with the car, but still can't stop spying on it. Hoping that my car is in the workshop as it's not locked and the window is open.

One of the tech guys drove it yesterday and it seems to have been in the workshop since it arrived back this morning - I'm so hoping it played up with him so they can sort it.

As the MD has started they will need to re build my confidence in jaguar as so far all I've had is problems.

Must admit when I walked into the showroom on Friday morning at 8am sharp the receptionist said oh dear when she saw me - I have a feeling my face was like thunder.

#18 ·
jcook, and with bloody good reason, too. Your list of faults is a disgrace and should never have been allowed to happen. They may put your gearbox problem down to "software" (I think in fact it's more likely to be firmware stored in non-volatile memory) but even if this is the case, how come your box has a different operating system to other, satisfied, owners. A windows doesn't just pop out of its runners for no good reason - either it wasn't located properly during the build, or there was something wrong with the runner(s) or the drive system. The same could be said for tobes's window trim.

I sympathise with you on the confidence issue - confidence is like an eggshell - once broken, it takes a hell of a lot of work to fix it. It's quite conceivable that this could be the last new car I buy, and I would hate having to drive off into the sunset cursing the day I bought it.

A final thought - as someone mentioned earlier, this Forum represents a very small sample of owners and there have been quite a few problems reported here. If we are a cross section of typical owners, there must be a lot of unhappy people out there.

Ian

#24 ·
No damage that I can tell. Looked under bonnet where it got trapped and not a mark.
Was a slight black mark on wing mirror but it rubbed off.

Incident was almost funny.....

Was starting to enjoy the car on M25 as it's ok once moving. Traffic was slow but anyway. Got to M26 turned to wife and in a clarkson voice did a mini review talk of the xe. As speed increased called out climbing numbers. As I hit the old milestone marker the trim flew off. Was a bit like a topgear challenge where they buy old bangers and the three of them laugh as things go wrong or drop off. Difference is this was 33k of old banger.
Spent next 50 miles on m way and a roads at slow speeds though as confidence dropped. A lot. Whilst wondering what else is loose.

Jcook I can just picture your thunder face as it was no doubt a female version of mine as the trim blew.

Hope yours is sorted real soon

#26 ·
gsb,

If they do, then the business doesn't deserve to exist. It puts them on a par with bankers who don't appear to give a damn about their customers except to see them as mugs that they can flog some worthless financial deal to.

Financial columnists frequently tell us that a car is the second largest purchase we will make, after our house. And, it's a depreciating asset as well ! I wouldn't like to think that the dealers just treat you as a mug to flog a car to.

Surely there must be sufficient competent engineers at Jaguar to get things right and to listen to what their customers are saying about their product .

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.