Jaguar XE Forum banner

Factory fit tyres

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Domfow 
#1 ·
My dealer tells me that the factory is sending XE Portfolios out with all season tyres. I've always had winter tyres for previous cars, but like the idea of all season. I ordered my car today, and will go back and specify them if that's not what they're likely to come with. Can someone who's taken delivery recently tell me what was on their wheels please.

#2 ·
I will be interested in which make your All Season tyres are as I will shortly be replacing my Continentals summer (rubbish) tyres. I know some XE's are delivered with Continental, Dunlop and Pirelli tyres depends on variant. I use to fit Bridgstones on my X types, superb tyres but they do not do a 17inch All Season tyre to fit the XE, only a Winter Tyre.

#3 ·
:| The US market XEs came with (still do I think), Continental ProContact all season tires. In 17 and 18 inch for sure (19" is one I'm not sure about).

UK market XE's appear to flaunt Pirelli all season tyres (notice I wrote tYres, for the blokes). Owners like Vespa, CaptainNoddy or PhilB will be able to let you know if the type has changed over the 3 years the build has been around.

I am never a fan of all-season. All season means Master of None, so they will start losing their summer performance sooner than a true Summer tyre, and their winter ability will erode in a shorter number of months than a true Winter tyre.
The reports I read from other UK owners indicate the Pirellis are a good and reliable factory tyre. Here in the US, we are not so keen on the Continental ProContacts, because (depending on your driving terrain, which varies wildly across America), you can physically FEEL the traction and tread fading as the months progress.

:cool: Look into Nokian. They make what is starting to be considered an "all season Winter tyre". The reviews are excellent. I'm not dead certain it is made for XE's 17 inch rims though.

#4 ·
NewLester de Rocin said:
:| The US market XEs came with (still do I think), Continental ProContact all season tires. In 17 and 18 inch for sure (19" is one I'm not sure about).

UK market XE's appear to flaunt Pirelli all season tyres (notice I wrote tYres, for the blokes). Owners like Vespa, CaptainNoddy or PhilB will be able to let you know if the type has changed over the 3 years the build has been around.

I am never a fan of all-season. All season means Master of None, so they will start losing their summer performance sooner than a true Summer tyre, and their winter ability will erode in a shorter number of months than a true Winter tyre.
The reports I read from other UK owners indicate the Pirellis are a good and reliable factory tyre. Here in the US, we are not so keen on the Continental ProContacts, because (depending on your driving terrain, which varies wildly across America), you can physically FEEL the traction and tread fading as the months progress.

:cool: Look into Nokian. They make what is starting to be considered an "all season Winter tyre". The reviews are excellent. I'm not dead certain it is made for XE's 17 inch rims though.
Nearly two years ago, I was fortunate to have three days on a training course at Jaguar Land Rover's Secret test centre in Northern Sweden. There we used all Jaguar and Land Rover products on non-studded Pirelli standard snow tyres. We were schooled in various techniques by Scandinavian Trainers over truly vast areas of Frozen lake. The course is bookable right now on Jaguar.com. I now know from experience the snow Pirellis extract the utmost qualities out of the cars, and the car's feel and dynamics are outstanding in these conditions with them on.

#7 ·
one thing I've noticed is that whilst the recommended jaguar pressures are 34PSI the computer shows running at 38 from new. don't know whether to bother letting some pressure out or whether they do this for a reason?

#8 ·
BrianS said:
one thing I've noticed is that whilst the recommended jaguar pressures are 34PSI the computer shows running at 38 from new. don't know whether to bother letting some pressure out or whether they do this for a reason?
I think the dealers can be a bit off sometimes when they PDI new cars.
(If they remember to check the pressures at all ! :lol: )
I have always used a decent BSi pressure guage to check then manually as well as on the menu.
I would set them properly yourself to the recommended settings.

#10 ·
Well I've taken the plunge and got rid of my ditchfinder 'continental eco warriers' and replaced them with a set of Michellin Crossclimate plus

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimateplus

First thoughts, totally changed the cars handling:-
1. The rubber remains supple in the cold,doesn't turn to concrete
2. The grip is in another league especially off roundabouts, no tail slapping
3. Braking in the wet feels more assured
4. Much quieter on the Motorway 5 decibels below the Conti's and you can tell
5. Not had the opportunity to see what they are like in the snow yet, but they are rated as a winter tyre, got to be better than the pant filling :eek: Conti's which are totally useless and dangerous in snow, if you can get the car to move
6. Will keep a check on my mpg, to see if any affect, there will be more resistance as the Michellins come with tread not like the Conti's which aren't far removed from slicks

The garage that fitted the tyres reckon Michellin are onto a winner, an All Season tyre that can handle the summer and winter we get in the UK, not a summer tyre that most OEM's fit as standard to most cars and then the whole country grinds to a halt at a single snowflake. Maybe the Tyre manufacturers are waking up to the fact that on occasions (the last couple of weeks) the UK isn't always a summer tyre utopia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.