Jaguar XE Forum banner

Higher performance XE on the cards?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NewLester de Rocin 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It's an early XE (Registered Dec 2014) so probably one of the older test mules.
Sounds like a V6 on startup but the back end is different with the R-Sport valance and a tow hook which you can't fit to a production S.
Got the big front brakes like an S as well.
It was only the S to start with that had the chrome trims on the exhaust too.
Bit of research (car tax checker) shows a lot of things like fuel type, type approval and engine capacity as "not available" so a stealth job if ever there was one.
I don't understand why they have put the swirly plastic wrap on the doors and back end as the body looks normal to me so why draw attention to it ?
I read recently that the V6 accounted for only 0.5% of sales in the XE, XF and F-Pace (not sure I agree with that as the V6 F-Pace is (was) a good seller).
So with things as they are, financial issues make it doubtful you will see anything other than a four pot in an XE from now on.
But I really hope I am wrong.
Next developments may well be hybrids though as per the RR Sport job.

#3 ·
Oh my Lord!

The XE is already arguably the most sports performing NON-sports car there is. The number of unprepared owners who have already crashed the blessed vixen, is proof that we drive a precariously high performing thing as it is, a car that Jaguar still has the nerve to humbly call just a, "sports sedan".

Does Jaguar really need to multiply the car's ability with an EVEN SPORTIER performing version?
James Bond already calls on me regularly to bring my 25T to help save the world with him. I don't know how you 35T and S drivers keep your beasts out of trouble.

#6 ·
:lol: No, not smoking any fun tobaccos. I'm just adoring the vehicle, and my reckless humor shows through.

But the jokes aside, I've always driven budget cars and watched the (wealthier?) cars drive by in the streets. Some drove their Audis/Mercs/Porsches without creating any issues among other drivers----some made noise or dodged traffic lights or close cut other drivers with a deliberate smile on their faces.

Now that I have a performance car of my own, and realize how particular a performance transmission can be to drive, I look at those same drivers now and realize, they come in two categories. Very refined operators… you can see by the way they sail around corners or on open motorways, and the engine sings and occasionally growls.
AND…. The slob operators… (yes, hurtful to say) they don't learn or don't care what a performance engine is, disturb and injure other drivers, fantasize about the Grand Theft Auto video games, strip out the poor turbo and joints of the car, or eventually slam into something superbly hard.

In a simple 25T petrol 4 cylinder (with Ford engine), I can rule most of the NYC motorway and street, without even having to do an actual kick-down. My skills have nothing to do with it---the XE is THAT enormously powerful and grippy for its class. A 4V petrol easily puts New York car drivers to shock and shame.

I'd imagine anything more powerful than the 35T V6 is just way more than the refined driver would want (I think).
…But I guess I still have a lot to learn about the hunger of domestic non-professional drivers.

#7 ·
NewLester de Rocin said:
James Bond already calls on me regularly to bring my 25T to help save the world with him. I don't know how you 35T and S drivers keep your beasts out of trouble.
Sorry to disappoint you, but James Bond will come home for his XE,as the US version is limited to 121 mph the UK version 155 mph :lol:

US Spec
https://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_us/xe_k18/?_ga=2.72812243.1924092659.1526475749-229548573.1526475749&mi_u=anon-1526475748754-1789611088

UK Spec - even the smallest diesel in the UK will do 132 mph and we no longer get the V6 only 4 pots
https://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_gb/xe?_ga=2.83632466.556158059.1526476369-351481566.1526476369

#8 ·
:? :cool: Ahh, but that's because Jaguar and Bond both know that US criminals aren't capable of putting down their phone texting long enough to consistently hold the pedal down and reach 110.
Exceeding speeds of 130 in the US will only help you catch adventurous 8-year olds who tied blocks to their feet to reach the pedals, drunken moms who are speeding south on the northbound highway, and taxi drivers who've fallen asleep on the throttle.
…none of them really dangerous persons of interest in the US. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.