Jaguar XE Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop/Start again a few thoughts

253K views 898 replies 111 participants last post by  PhilB 
G
#1 ·
I made an observation over the past 24 hours. Yesterday we had a run out of 125 miles along fast A roads and motorways along with a few slower A roads due to speed restrictions. The stop/start more or less packed up about 4 weeks ago, which I put down to short journeys and the DPF filter not having chance to regenerate properly. So after the run I expected the S/S to function correctly. No, it didn't. Today I got back in the car and for once did not connect the phone to the USB. The first journey there was no S/S working but coming back home it functioned every time. As I was near the dealer I was going to get it in to have it looked at. When it started working again I decided not to book it in. The question here is because I was so near the dealer and the car was parked within a few hundred yards from the dealer for around 40 minutes. Now can the car electronically link to JLR near a dealer and be checked over?? I don't know. Can the phone actually be blocking any updating if the acceptance of connection to JLR is not granted? Really strange situation that the S/S works faultlessly for weeks on end then just packs up. I have kept the battery topped up fully with a CTEK charger, so it is not battery related. The car should have cleaned the DPF on the first part of the larger journey at 63 miles. The only other thing I can think of was that I had the aircon on all the time but switched it out this morning. In the past the aircon made no difference whatsoever as long as the battery and DPF were 100%. Any thoughts again on the subject??

See less See more
G
#353 ·
I agree that the battery cannot cope but I think you will find all are fitted with 80 Ah batteries. Mine is working fine again after the current stupid packing up so I think there is more to this than just battery and more involved electronic control. Wait for the cars to start bursting into flames as I can see that happening as they get older.

#354 ·
I think they have fitted the bare bones of a battery with the 80Ah.
Only just enough to do the job when in condition.
The number of people having to have them recharged/ reconditioned makes it clear to me it's a basic standard.
It appears to be susceptible to the slightest loss of grunt so that the various modules start shutting things down very quickly like stop start.
The car will start fine but the "extras" pack up.
I recall a thread where a member had a no start and the battery was dead and the Jag assist bloke only had 90Ah batteries on the van.
Apparently fitting it made a big difference.
From the documents I saw from Vespa they do fit 90Ah as standard but only for a list of "cold" countries or if the car has the separate remote engine heater.
I suppose the bean counters at JLR earn their bonus shaving a few quid off the build costs by fitting the 80Ah so it's not surprising.

#355 ·
Mine is only 70Ah! That is what was was fitted from new, and the warranty replacement is the same.
I saw some details a few weeks ago, and I can't remember where from! I t could have been a link from this site, or something obtained by other means.
Anyway, as I recall, there are 3 different sizes fitted depending on the spec of the car. Cold climate pack, and various other thing.
I think it's 70Ah, 80Ah, & 90Ah.
I am in Australia by the way.

G
#356 ·
The warranty replacement I had fitted a few weeks ago is a 80 Ah, since then it has worked flawlessly, even after not being used for a few days or so at a time. It now kicks in very early on in the journey, the obvious things that stop it are the aircon working hard etc.

But of course it's a brand new battery, the other one had to be replaced when the car was not three years old and was not used for the first 17 months of its life.

Cheers,

G
#358 ·
KevinInSuffolkUK said:
DavidW said:
the other one had to be replaced when the car was not three years old and was not used for the first 17 months of its life.
Was the battery maintained during that 17 months?
Only Jaguar know the answer to that. On first tests the dealer said it was not a dud, then second test within a few weeks it was replaced. I disclosed the non use of the car as it could have contributed to the battery needing to be replaced for the stop/start system to function correctly. However there were no other signs of battery problems.

Cheers

#359 ·
Since my battery was replaced under warranty it has worked perfectly. Very occasionally (usually coming off the motorway) it doesn't cut out first stop, which I assume is due to the emissions management system or some-such as it only ever does this for the first stop after a motorway cruise. Otherwise it is pretty faultless and even now cuts in (or cuts out, if you see what I mean) very early on in a journey, before I would expect the engine to reach temperature. After it not operating at all for about 8 months I was very dubious when they said it would be fine, but to be fair, 1500 miles down the road they appear to be right. So far...........

G
#360 ·
Mine is back to normal again. A pretty useless piece of electronic rubbish that I wish I hadn't wasted so much time on. It's a pity it isn't part of many other pieces of cyber junk associated with the car. Incontrol premium, no pay then your rubbish S/S won't work. Thank you I'll have that.

#361 ·
This is interesting: http://www.iaaf.co.uk/news-item/ebt-leads-the-way

It's about a year old but it does indicate the way things are going. Looks like the battery manufacturers are yet to fully milk the golden replacement market cow because over 50% of us switch the bloody thing off so that the batteries are lasting longer than they thought.
Also seems they are lobbying and will probably eventually persuade manufacturers/government to make stop/start obligatory and therefore remove the means to turn it off in new cars. I smell little to do with saving the planet and all to do with making more money.

#363 ·
Vespa said:
Another bloody fiddle by car makers. I am looking out for a good Triumph Herald or Vitesse. Really getting pissed off with JLR CRC. :evil:
Here's one. Only one careful owner too :D :D

View attachment 3595

Attachments

#364 ·
I always fancied a Triumph, a nice red TR6 would do, but don't forget all the old cars we hanker after may not have had all the electrical gremlins of our current motors but they certainly weren't without their own foibles ;)

#373 ·
HaloJones said:
Mine's still good with relatively little use since the dealer recharged it and reset the alert
May have spoken too soon as didn't work at all today despite having the air con off. Perhaps it doesn't work if the windows are open?

#374 ·
If truth be known, it was probably only ever intended to work in the lab for emissions testing... otherwise why design a system that stops the engine every time you change from D to R when manouvering into a parking space but then starts it again when you select P 🤔

#375 ·
I was having a nose round the "other" forums and found this one which is interesting.
I'm having trouble understanding why someone would leave their car unlocked for 2 days (albeit in a garage) but it seems like a reminder about the car not shutting down properly and continuing to draw power from the battery.

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1136

#376 ·
Modern cars use power when unlocked.

Driving a vehicle with a low battery will not really charge it up properly.

A 5A 16 hour stint on a Ctek or similar charger is required then the alternator will maintain it.

Alternators are not intended to charge a dead batteries.

Some ignorant people there on the Velar forum.

Ed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.