Brake lights out?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
billvega

Re: Brake lights out?

Post by billvega » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am

Britannia wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am
Hi All

Mine Offside brake light not working for a couple of days. Got the warning triangle on the dash.
:!: :?: :shock: :? I thought there was no warnings for bulbs. This was confirmed by jag assist guy and by this forum!

I did this job yesterday, awkward but do able. No need for a spanner, kneel down on the floor and get your hand up through the fuse box hole. Feel for the nut and turn till it comes out.
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Britannia

Post by Britannia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 am

Thanks for the info. I will be tackling this next. Is this just one single plastic wing nut so the tail light cluster eases out wars and can the nut disappear down the side of the panel or is it a captive one ? From what i can see these bulb contacts are just like 'Christmas tree' ones and ones that are sometimes dash bulb ones...
Thanks.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:12 am

Britannia wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 am
Thanks for the info. I will be tackling this next. Is this just one single plastic wing nut so the tail light cluster eases out wars and can the nut disappear down the side of the panel or is it a captive one ? From what i can see these bulb contacts are just like 'Christmas tree' ones and ones that are sometimes dash bulb ones...
Thanks.
Its a big old plug, you shouldnt have trouble not dropping it. Once unscrewed, you might need to push it back in the hole to get the light to come free.

Bulbs:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... P-EALw_wcB

Once the cluster is out, the little bulb covers require a quarter turn to be released.
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Britannia

Post by Britannia » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi Big Cat Owners. Decided to have a g oat my Right hand rear outer Brake light issue. The single retaining Plastic wing nut is a bit difficult with the fuse box in the way but its easy to brake your wrist then bingo you can feel the wing nut and undo it. Its spring loaded and after removal i redid all the connections checked the bulbs and sprayed wd40 on the contacts then refitted it. I got the Wife to let me know if all was Ok. I pressed the brake pedal and start button and the wife said the brake lightsworked then even with my foot on the brake and when the engine started the right hand light went out. Its now going in to the Main dealer to have a look at and also the issue of the Non start i had a couple of weeks ago when i had the Jaguar breakdown visit to show me the work around to get it started, Its a Brake switch issue and some sort of vacuum circuit in the starting circuitry. New switch me thinks? The start stop has not worked for weeks. but gather there is so many parameters that can stop it. Temperature being one and load on the battery, How about having a 85aph batter of better?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 am

Britannia wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm
....... after removal i redid all the connections checked the bulbs and sprayed wd40 on the contacts then refitted it.
Not a good idea to spray electrical connections with ordinary WD40 as it's a lubricant and flammable !
The tin says, Caution: Keep away from sparks and any other sources of ignition and to disconnect any electrical source before spraying.
If you want to clean contacts the Halfords electrical contact cleaner is best.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Britannia

Post by Britannia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am

Hi you are right was desperate to make them work in case the boys in blue decided to do a stop on me. Will have another go this weekend. Cheers

FishyMcGee

Post by FishyMcGee » Sat May 26, 2018 2:29 am

Just had the "offside brakelight replacement" experience myself. What a faff. I mean, I got there in the end, but talk about making simple jobs difficult in order to encourage people to think "f*** it, off to the dealer to change a £3 bulb".

Wasn't so much the undoing of the wingnut, as it's quite chunky and easy to turn, it's the putting-it-back that made it a Crystal Maze performance.

When I bought the car, I didn't think that within a month I'd be lying in the foetal position in the boot of it, but that's how I found myself able to line the wingnut back up into its slot.

....bulbs work though.

For those coming across this issue and debating whether to try and replace it, you don't need any tools, but plan on being quite left-hand-flexible to screw the wingnut back in, and trying to find the slot behind the fusebox completely blind.

Renesis

Post by Renesis » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:48 pm

So glad I found this thread to realise I’m not alone.

Wife informed me that brake lights on the passenger side were not working, so nipped into Halfords and ordered one bulb having not looked at the car first.

Come to do the job and realise there’s 2 bulbs, surely can’t both be blown?

I replaced the one closest to the number plate. And got my daughter to press the brakes. It flicked on then went out. Hmm blown fuse?

The old bulb looked ok so I swapped that with the outer bulb which also looked ok!

Brake light and both bulbs now on???

I shall be keeping a close eye on this!
XE-S MY15 340PS
Santorini Black, 20” Propellers, Black Pack, Pan Roof, ACC, HUD, Winter Pack, Lighting Pack,18 Way Seats.

AndyMadrid

Post by AndyMadrid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Has anyone had any more experience with this issue?

I was informed the other day that the brake lights were out only on one side of my 2015 XE.
When I took off the light cluster and inspected the two brake light bulbs they were both OK.
The turn indicator, reverse and rear lights still work and so I suspected a contact issue.
As the car was going on for wheel alignment I asked the dealer to check…

They phoned me stating that the whole light cluster needs to be changed and asking for 250 Euro!
I declined as I considered it was an abusive price for a faulty brake light and would investigate the bad connection myself.
The dealer still charged me 45 minutes labour at 76 Euro inc. VAT for checking.

Later at home I tracked the problem down to a pcb (circuit board) inside the light cluster that only feeds the brake lights.
So now I understand why the dealer wanted to replace the complete light cluster!
However, elsewhere I have read that Jaguar were changing light cluster’s under warranty (mine is not covered) but it is not clear what the problem is.

Does anyone have an idea about the faulty pcb in the rear light cluster?
XE 2015 2.0 D Prestige Auto Ammonite Grey

davesedge

Post by davesedge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:11 pm

Picked my XE up on Friday, the dealer did the MOT for me. Sunday no brake lights except the top strip. Back to dealer on Monday, brake lights work on start up so system is working but then no longer work on subsequent brake application. Norwich Inchcape knew exactly what to do, fixed in 20mins. I enquired about the fix and was told when 1 build isn't seated correctly all the lights dont work but work on start up. They had seen it many times, know the fix but dont understand the problem.
Any auto electricians on her with any ideas, just want to know why.

Noticed the auto stop/start is also not working, back to dealer on Wednesday, hopefully just a software update and that this isn't a sign of things to come