Jaguar XE Forum banner

Road Noise

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  JiggyJag 
#1 ·
The XE is generally a quiet car but there is always room for improvement.

Bizarrely the seats do not seal against the bulk head leaving a gap resulting in cabin noise. I added a foam sealing strip around the boot aperture which made a small but noticeable difference.

On my XE there were several large unused cut outs in the parcel shelf presumably for extra speakers with little insulation applied in the factory.

I lined the underside with Silent Coat sound deadening sheets.

My XE is now noticeably quieter.

Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Food Grille
Bag Luggage and bags Material property Automotive design Carbon

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
couple of questions Capese21 what thickness did you go for with the silent coat and where did you get it from, googling finds a big variations on thickness and price, and what did you use for foam sealing strip
I have been very successful on getting rid of most those annoying rattles, except for one I am still working on, but have found I am making car more noticeable on the road noise, so will be taking this route as well.
Thanks

#9 ·
2mm 30 sheet A4 pack £40 from Sound Deadening Shop. Neoprene foam sealing strip 20mm wide 10mm thick. Cisonline11 listing on ebay.

The strip needs to be all the way around the aperture, top sides & along the bottom. The difference on my XE is very noticable & well worth the effort. I might do the doors next. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEOPRENE-SPONGE-FOAM-SELF-ADHESIVE-STRIP-5MTR-3MM-6MM-10MM-THICK/121388027214?hash=item1c434a4d4e:m:mW_2xK-DKFiHeHoZ-98b68g

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-Coat-2mm-30-Sheets-Pack-Car-Van-Deadening-Sound-Proofing-Damping-Mat/151262792131?epid=24009665152&hash=item2337f709c3

G
#11 ·
Interesting about the rear seat aperture. I had never thought of that as a potential noise transmitter. I had a Vauxhall Chevette in the 80's ( horrible car) and used sound deadening pads, designed for washing machines, under the bonnet. That made a massive difference to that.

#13 ·
myquest said:
I just take my hearing aids out.
Nice one - simple but effective 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.