Jaguar XE Forum banner

Disc and Pad Replacement

78K views 203 replies 39 participants last post by  Rsport180 
#1 ·
#4 ·
There may be an issue with corrosion in Jaguar Brake disc's. My car is fairly early car (July2015) 240ps petrol Portfolio. It had its annual service in July with Jaguar Amersham and its first Mot.. On the health check video it highlighted that all four brake disc's were worn, pitted and scored on the inner surface. The car has only done 20,000 miles. The Mot now has these all listed as advisories. It was also advised that the brake fluid needed changing as the vehicle was three years old. I was initially quoted at £751 to have the work done, not sure if this included Vat.
Fortunatley they decided to do it under warranty, I had to pay for the brake fluid change. I believe some Landrover/Range Rover owners are having similar problems with brake disc's and it has been mentioned on another thread on here

John

#5 ·
alanplum241276 said:
147daytona said:
Err..because they need replacing..
Ah, it didn't sound like that from your original post where you said you were toying with the idea of changing them and it is only 1 year old! ;)

#6 ·
My discs are in pretty poor shape, and I've read others on here with similar.

Personally I'd rather pay a few hundred quid to source and fit my own "non jaguar" brakes.

Only 17000 on the clock.

EBC seem to be well respected, so thought I'd ask if anyone had done it.

I'm leaning towards the RedStuff pads at the moment.

#7 ·
Well, I've taken the plunge.

I've order the discs from MTEC:

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/jaguar/xe-2015/xe-2-0-d-180bhp-04-2015.html

Went for Dimpled Grooved.

I've ordered the pads from EBC:

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/jaguar/xe/2.0-TD-RWD-2015-/1001661

Went for the EBC Redstuff.

Total price (with finding online voucher codes): £275.89.

My local garage man (who owns a Jag XF) is going to fit them all for £100. So £375.89.

From my understanding Jag charge £465 to do the same thing. (Albeit with OEM parts)

If you are going to do this yourself, be careful on getting the correct size front discs based on your engine. Mine is the 316mm discs (checked with TOPIX and tape measure), and get the right pads for the size of discs.

#8 ·
Let us know what you think of your new setup once you have it sorted.

I had some drilled discs on an Alfa several years ago and boy were they noisy when braking. Hopefully you won't have the same issue.

#9 ·
I fitted EBC Greenstuff pads to my Series 3 E Type, took them out and replaced with Mintex,after a month, couldn't stop the brake squeal Had some fitted to other cars previously, with no problems. I fitted them originally because of the low dust reputation

#10 ·
I fitted EBC RedStuff to my previous car because it was fairly fast & heavy (Zafira GSI Turbo) and I was pleased with them.
Less dust on the wheels and didn't seem to wear the discs as much as OEM pads so I would happily fit them again in the future.
Greenstuff is really for small cars and leave Yellowstuff, Bluestuff or Orangestuff for track use!

#15 ·
Job complete. Got to let them bed in properly, but so far, they are even better than they were already.

Glad I chose to do this rather than OEM. What with the Pilot Sport 4S and these, this thing is going to stop PDQ.

Might think about getting the calipers painted Glossy Black ;)

#16 ·
Your brakes look superb.

I no longer use copper grease on brake pads. There are better more modern options. Cera Tec os one option. It is almost clear so does not look as messy as copious ammounts of copper grease.
I hope you used the correct grease on the guide pins which is vital to avoid brake drag? Molykote G3407 would be my choice.

I have bought a set of OEM pads for the rear made by ATE and only paid £30. ATE Plastilube is another better imho option than copper grease for the back of the pads.
The OEM pads have a built in antirattle shim so will not use much.

Nice work. :)

#17 ·
Alan, liking that look a lot, judging by the uneven wear rates mine will need replacing at some point so will be as easy to do what you have done.

#18 ·
Had my car in for an issue with the exhaust. They found a leaking transmission and my discs and pads need changing..

It's in this week for the transmission..

My question. Can I replace the discs and pads myself or does it have to be done by Jag as the car is PCP. Also does it have to be OEM does anyone know.?

I know how to do it myself just unsure if I'm 'allowed'. Lol

#21 ·
Of course by going aftermarket and non pattern parts you will need to notify your insurers of the modification to your car...

Changing the brakes is obviously a non cosmetic modification to the car....

Fitting OEM yourself will not class as a modification..

S.

#22 ·
Alan, now you've had your new braking setup on for a while, what are your thoughts?

What is the performance and feel like, do you have to apply any more pedal pressure?
Is there any noise caused by the grooves or dimples?
What about the amount of brake dust produced?

Sorry about all the questions ;)

#23 ·
147daytona said:
Alan, now you've had your new braking setup on for a while, what are your thoughts?

What is the performance and feel like, do you have to apply any more pedal pressure?
Is there any noise caused by the grooves or dimples?
What about the amount of brake dust produced?

Sorry about all the questions ;)
I'm over the moon with them.

Definite performance increase. I would say nearly double of what it was on OEM. I find I'm putting less pressure on the pedal.

Surprisingly, zero noise whatsoever. I was expecting a whoosh perhaps with the grooves, but I can't hear anything.

Whilst bedding in, there was a reasonable amount of dust produced which I just washed off with soapy water. Now, there isn't any that I can see.

Would I do it all over again? Without question :)

#25 ·
alanplum241276 said:
Job complete. Got to let them bed in properly, but so far, they are even better than they were already.

Glad I chose to do this rather than OEM. What with the Pilot Sport 4S and these, this thing is going to stop PDQ.

Might think about getting the calipers painted Glossy Black ;)
....slightly off topic but what do you think of the Pilot Sport 4S tyres compared to the standard Pirelli's? Think I might go for the PS next time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.