Jaguar XE Forum banner

Data Usage

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Kushanku 
#1 ·
I recently collected my new XE with ITC Pro. I purchase a 3 prepaid data SIM card. It was loaded with 10gb and valid for 12 months. The data has now all gone in less than 4 weeks. I don't use the 4G for anything in the car. Can anybody please advise me as to what could be using the data.

#2 ·
If all the data allowance has gone then something is wrong.
As an example, in two months on mine it has only used 120Mb .
I have left it "on" from day one so only mobile data is operational.
The car seems to use a small amount of data but I have heard of other members who have had it very busy with the Nav etc and still only used 1Gb a month.

I would go into the settings and make sure the wifi hotspot is off and check it's not the monthly data limit that has stopped things.
Mine had set a limit of 1Gb per month on the car by default but you can turn this off.

#3 ·
It could be that you are activated on a "New" pay as you go contract, in which they wipe all remaining values at the end of the month regardless of if you have used them or not. If you are on that contract, you have to request to be put onto the "Classic" pay as you go. Just bought a Sim Card for my dad this weekend and got an update from the sales guy on this "New" monthly method of paying.

#4 ·
Shortly to take delivery of my XE with ICT Pro. I got the impression that the conectivity was covered for the period until warranty expiry. It seems from this thread that you have to buy a SIM plan extra.
Is this something the dealership sales guy will try to sell me or do you pick up your SIM for the local mobile shop?
If picking up your own SIM - does anyone know what size SIM card is needed?
The data consumption is something I'll certainly watch!
Hope you get it all fixed up soon!

#5 ·
If you are in the UK (like me) I bought a "3 Mobile Pay As You Go Trio Data SIM Preloaded with 12 GB of Data" for £24.99 on 9th June and got the dealer to fit it as part of the handover. It lasts for 12months and should be ample. However just noticed it's gone up by £10.

I also got a "Samsung MUF-BB 64 GB USB 3.0 MicroFit Flash Drive - White" from the same place to hold my music. Fits the usb input on the XE unobtrusively.

#7 ·
After 11 months and 30,000 miles (most of which with sat-nav on for traffic updates), mine has used a not-so-whopping 2.1GB. I have everything under the data settings turned on (except for hotspot as I have no use for it)

APEaling said:
Shortly to take delivery of my XE with ICT Pro. I got the impression that the conectivity was covered for the period until warranty expiry. It seems from this thread that you have to buy a SIM plan extra.
Is this something the dealership sales guy will try to sell me or do you pick up your SIM for the local mobile shop?
If picking up your own SIM - does anyone know what size SIM card is needed?
There's two* parts to the connectivity - there's a built-in SIM which Jaguar supply and pay for during the warranty period (you have no access to this, it's deep in the computer in the boot of the car) - this covers the incrontrol remote features such as remote unlock/climate etc and the assistance and SOS calling functionality of the car. Then there's the SIM you supply, which is used for traffic data updates, door-to-door journey planning (so the naviagtion can sync with your here.com account) and wifi hotspot - you don't have to fit one, but as they're so cheap, you may as well and get the full functionality from the system.

*three if you include connecting the car to your home wifi when you're at home.

#9 ·
No, annoyingly ICTpro and the maps don't do over-the-air updates. ICTpro needs a visit to your dealer for software updates, maps require downloading on a computer and copying to the car via a usb stick.

G
#10 ·
I am not sure what is being talked about here but if it's phones then have a look at the junk that Google keeps putting into your phone as data. I get loads of crap in the memory that I clean out regularly. Sadly some cannot be stopped as it is part of the functionality of the phone and stopping it stops other vital parts working. If it's not 4G phone data that is being discussed I shall go and sit quietly in the corner. :oops: :lol: :lol:

#11 ·
Kushanku said:
If you are in the UK (like me) I bought a "3 Mobile Pay As You Go Trio Data SIM Preloaded with 12 GB of Data" for £24.99 on 9th June and got the dealer to fit it as part of the handover. It lasts for 12months and should be ample. However just noticed it's gone up by £10.

I also got a "Samsung MUF-BB 64 GB USB 3.0 MicroFit Flash Drive - White" from the same place to hold my music. Fits the usb input on the XE unobtrusively.
That's what I bought but 90% of the data has been used in 3 weeks

#12 ·
Is your WiFi hotspot on?

Is it secure? Or have you given access to anyone with it. Know of colleagues with a mifi, who had their kids tablet on it. Went abroad and the tablet was downloading movies over roaming data til the cap was used up...all unbeknown to him.

Work IT were less than happy....

S.

#13 ·
Kushanku said:

My data SIM was a year old in July but the display still said 4G or 3G depending on where I was. I assumed it was still working. I had bought a new SIM (£27.99 from MyMemory) but not fitted it as I thought I was getting some sort of extended time on the old one. But I have noticed that I'm not getting live traffic updates anymore. So I assume that although 4G is displayed it is not connecting to the net so I should now install the new SIM!

#14 ·
Mine threw a bit of a wobbler when my previous sim ran out.
Best advice I can give is to remove the old sim and leave the car overnight then put the new one in the next day.

#15 ·
PhilB said:
Mine threw a bit of a wobbler when my previous sim ran out.
Best advice I can give is to remove the old sim and leave the car overnight then put the new one in the next day.
Thanks, I'll do that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.