Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Post by PhilB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:45 am

Fred, If you have a look on page 2 of this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5198

There are pics of the washer bottle being removed and the vent pipe that sits at the top of the bottle to allow easier filling.
I'm wondering if when the bottle is full, heavy braking could cause it to slosh around and vent some fluid from the pipe?
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

FredXE

Post by FredXE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks Phil, I did find that picture. The way the assembly is fitted in the car puts the filler tube level or possible below the vent pipe. I agree that slushing around will occur and some of the dripping I see under the car could also be from the vent tube but the visible spill in my case was around the filler cap. The cap was properly closed but I can feel a play in the lid that will allow liquid to escape.

The position of the vent pipe at the back of the tank could be a problem when accelerating hard but unlike some :D I have the diesel which makes this less of a problem.
XE 2.0d 180 auto, 1AB Grey, ICTP

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:04 pm

I can't understand that small items costing next nothing, can't be designed correctly, to incorporate baffles into the bottle to stop the sloshing about. I must say that I have not had any problems, as far as I know, with wash water leaking out under braking.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi I'm new to this but here goes I have just noticed washer fluid leaking from left side under bumper, after reading this forum I went to my local dealer and they have told me it is the left headlamp washer jet and have ordered a new one which will be fitted in 2 weeks apparently if you have the headlamp washers there is a fault as someone had said in this forum the dealer is doing it under warranty but will keep you posted when they have fitted the jet and see if it solves the problem.
I would of been lost without forums like this so thank you all for the posts please keep it up as I will.

hairy

Post by hairy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:05 pm

So is there a generic fault / cure for this yet - I seem to have lost 5 litres last week.

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi, I had this problem 15months ago. Mine would dump the full bottle on a 100 mile journey. After filling the bottle up 5-6 times I investigated and eventually came to the conclusion that the design of the system had created a venturi effect on the washer bottle. After a bit of trial and error I stopped the fluid loss completely by fitting a plastic milk carton top (Sainsbuy's) slotted into the top of the filler hole. (still use the original cap to cover) The bottle top should be fitted upside down so you can use your fingers on the inside screw thread to remove it for refilling. The bottle cap should be push fitted flush in the filler and not wedged down. This will allow the system to breathe through the bottle top grips!. Its still there today and my local dealer is amazed!
Since doing this I have not had any issues with washer fluid loss and useage is what id say is normal use. Ive topped up once since November last year and the roads around here are atrocious! we have 2 quarries, nearby need i say more!
The fix costs nothing and worth a try.

aquamac

Post by aquamac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi,
I took delivery of an R sport 2018 2.0t XE last Monday at my work. Whilst driving 2 miles home in the evening, the washer warning came on in the instrument cluster. Today, was the first opportunity I had to fill up the washer bottle. It took around 5.5 litres. I drove 20 miles to my parents house and I noticed a fairly large wet patch on the ground near the near side headlight. I didn’t think too much about it as I had the air con going on the way over. However, a mile down the road on the way home, the washer fluid dashboard warning was on again!

I have just re-filled and I am trying your milk bottle top fix Astonatic. Keeping my fingers crossed, I’ll try it out and let you know how that goes!
Jaguar XE 2.0 d R Sport with Black Pack and 20” Propellor Wheels and leaky washer fluid! Spare wheel, 2018 plate.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:18 am

The puddle under the nearside headlight is the most common sign of the headlamp washer leaking which can be replaced under warranty.
If the milk bottle top fix doesn't sort things out then I would suggest a trip to the dealer to get it replaced.

As a side note, when I had mine done a couple of months ago, the dealer filled the tank right to the very top.
On getting home I had fluid dripping from under the offside wheelarch for a minute or two and then it stopped.
It looks like the vent pipe is in such a place that if the tank is brimmed, a bit of heavy braking (yes I did just before I saw it) will slosh a fair bit of fluid out of the vent pipe.
Once the level has gone down it has never happened again.
So I would suggest only filling to the bottom of the triangular section on the tank (you can see it if you look down inside the wing) to avoid any seepage when the tank is full.
Or brake like there's a bomb under the pedal until the level goes down a bit.
:D
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

aquamac

Post by aquamac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi Phil,

I guess it’s a trip to the main dealer, as Astronics fix didn’t work. I put in 12 litres today and it’s all gone while the car sat stationary. I have to admit I’m a bit hacked off that Lancaster Jaguar didn’t sort this out, as the car was a demonstrator with 6000 miles on the clock . They serviced it and must have noticed water coming out as fast as it went in! It’s 40 miles to the nearest dealer, hopefully it can be fixed in a day.
Thank you to everyone hear for helping with this issue. I probably need to take it in anyway as I tried to set up an “In Control” account and the App tells me that the car is already associated with another account. Probably the guy at the garage who’s been driving it and didn’t tell anyone about the leak!

PS - Love your car!
Jaguar XE 2.0 d R Sport with Black Pack and 20” Propellor Wheels and leaky washer fluid! Spare wheel, 2018 plate.

aquamac

Post by aquamac » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi all, turns out it is the nearside headlamp washer that is not sealing and water continually dribbles out. Will be a trip to Jaguar main dealer.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”