DIRT INGRESS @ REAR DOORS AROUND ARCHES

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
colonie

Re: DIRT INGRESS @ REAR DOORS AROUND ARCHES

Post by colonie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

I love the work you guys have put in this topic. Me as a fresh XE owner would like to attach such rubber seals to my door. But sadly the posted Amazon article isn't available for shipping to Germany. So I checked ebay for similar seals. This is as close as it gets:
Image Image
The size looks about right but the shape is a bit different.
What do you think? Is it possible? Or do you got a link to a similar product with worldwide shipping by chance? ;)

colin6377

Post by colin6377 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

colonie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm
I love the work you guys have put in this topic. Me as a fresh XE owner would like to attach such rubber seals to my door. But sadly the posted Amazon article isn't available for shipping to Germany. So I checked ebay for similar seals. This is as close as it gets:
Image Image
The size looks about right but the shape is a bit different.
What do you think? Is it possible? Or do you got a link to a similar product with worldwide shipping by chance? ;)
Hi Colonie , This product that you have come up with appears to have an additional 3mm extra reach to the item which I have used . IMO this can only be a good result as it should actually give an even tighter seal against the area of concern ! GO FOR IT ! !

Colin.

colonie

Post by colonie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Awesome, thanks for your feedback. Just ordered. Now I really need my XE, so many parts are waiting already :D

colonie

Post by colonie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:27 pm

colin6377 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am
Hi Colonie , This product that you have come up with appears to have an additional 3mm extra reach to the item which I have used . IMO this can only be a good result as it should actually give an even tighter seal against the area of concern ! GO FOR IT ! !

Colin.
Thanks again Colin for your advice. Im done and happy with the result:

IMG_1058.png

IMG_1061.png

IMG_1059.png

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Not wishing to be contrarian, but I've had my XE for six weeks now and while dirt / water does get into the areas mentioned it isn't what you'd call catastrophic (and I'm fussy).

I'm assuming Jaguar designed if like this (as opposed to a post production "d'ohhhh" moment). I mean, it is fundamental and therefore inconceivable that it wasn't planned ?
2016 XE-S 340

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 am

Colonie, nice job in fitting the seals, but I can't see a slot cut in the bottom seal for the drain holes in the door. If you haven't done so you might want to just make a small hole under each drain hole so any water that comes out of the door drains straight down rather then onto the adhesive part of the seal.
Admittedly depending where you are it may not be a lot of water but if the holes are in the doors it might well be worth adding them into the bottom seal also.
R-Sport 300, Corris Grey, Jet / Light Oyster.

Previous: R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am

Pongo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Not wishing to be contrarian, but I've had my XE for six weeks now and while dirt / water does get into the areas mentioned it isn't what you'd call catastrophic (and I'm fussy).

I'm assuming Jaguar designed if like this (as opposed to a post production "d'ohhhh" moment). I mean, it is fundamental and therefore inconceivable that it wasn't planned ?
Dependent on XE model the side sills are different shapes, the R-Sport and S have a flat lower level on the sill, this stops the spray movement upwards. The Portfolio sill is curved at the bottom and the aerodynamics are totally different and the spray is sent up into the rear door archway.
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

richmond

Post by richmond » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 pm

The painted areas inside the door openings of my 2016 car used to get really filthy until I added the rubber strips, and there's no way that was intended. I think it was an oversight.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

colin6377

Post by colin6377 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Pongo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Pongo , I find it inconceiveable that you seem to think that Jaguar would deliberately build in such a fault ! ( at least this is how I read your post )
Looking at a comparable XF you will note that this issue has now been adressed and as such I can only assume that that we as XE owners are looked upon as the poor relations in the Jaguar family ? ? Can"t see how you can describe yourself as " fussy " Apologies if my comment offends .

Colin.

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 pm

colin6377 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Pongo , I find it inconceiveable that you seem to think that Jaguar would deliberately build in such a fault ! ( at least this is how I read your post )
Looking at a comparable XF you will note that this issue has now been adressed and as such I can only assume that that we as XE owners are looked upon as the poor relations in the Jaguar family ? ? Can"t see how you can describe yourself as " fussy " Apologies if my comment offends .

Colin.
No offence taken.

I was saying the opposite. I intended to imply that it was inconceivable that Jaguar could have made such a fundamental design error - and so the way the cars are must be how Jaguar intended them to be having considered the factory fitting of extra seals and discounted doing so. They must have experienced the same ingress during testing but didn't think it was an issue ?

I am very fussy about my cars. For example, I currently have a screw in a rear tyre causing a very slow puncture. It's repairable - but I am reluctant to do that as I don't want to risk any marks on the wheel as a result of some ape getting the tyre off and back on (I speak from experience here having had mint 20" wheels on an XKR and a later XK both of which were marked by the tyre changing. Even after pointing out beforehand that they were mint. No point the "they are mint and I expect them to still look like that afterwards" malarkey - that just elicits some blank "you are a nutter mate" looks from the poor freezing cold, filthy dirty, minimum wage, sod being told to do it). If only there were a premium tyre fitter with high tech machinery and a floor you could eat your dinner off.

Anyway, as someone mentioned above, mine being an XE-S may have a different side skirt which means the dirt ingress issue is largely negated. I hadn't considered the fact that this may affect only certain models as a result and therefore my 'ingress' is not of the same magnitude.

I wonder if the XE-S side skirts can be retro fitted to other models ? Or whether they would a) be too expensive and / or b) look ridiculous ?
2016 XE-S 340

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”