Jaguar XE Forum banner

DIRT INGRESS @ REAR DOORS AROUND ARCHES

67K views 156 replies 35 participants last post by  colin6377 
#1 ·
Hi Guys , Most of you have probably noticed the tendency of dust & water to find its way into the area between the rear doors & exposed wheel arch which is lacking in a seal at its outermost edge to prevent this occuring ? Anyone getting into the rear of the car would not be best pleased to have their gladrags covered in deposits which tend to accrue in this very area given it would be very difficuilt to avoid on entry/exit ! I have installed extra seals within the aforementioned area as a possible solution to the problem but as yet have still to see if it will actually work ? Will keep you posted if it does . In the meantime a few pics to let you see my work , THOUGHTS ?

Colin.

Attachments

See less See more
#127 ·
This is good thread, installed as well the "P-seals" on mine. However, while they seem to work fine for mud & water etc. they seem to help very little for fine dry dust. Visit to my summer cottage requires driving approx 10kms on gravel road to get there and back. On dry weather that's enough to get pretty serious dust build-up all the way up to b-pillar and rear arches regardless of the additional sealing. I installed the seals as close to the door edge as possible for the "lip" to properly touch the sill. Does anyone have idea what actually causes this "suction of air (and dust)" on the sills and arches in the first place? Could the airflow between the doors and sills be changed so that it would help with this issue? I kinda understand the arches and sills but that dust gets sucked as well all the way up on the b-pillar to the roofline is pretty weird.

#128 ·
Since this thread is back, I might as well chime in.

Does anyone know if Jaguar have remedied this in the 2019 model? Because it looks like the doors are the same, so if this was sorted then I am guessing that there would be some perfectly mounded seals that could be fitted.

#129 ·
Hi everyone , As the origonal O.P. to this thread I felt I had to interject with possibly some final comments. As far as I"m aware Jaguar regretably has still not addressed this issue , WHY NOT? who knows ( Bean counters again ? ) However I would strongly suggest anyone attempting my cheap fix should attatch said seals to ALL of the areas which I have outlined in previous posts ( pages 4&6 ) refering to the attatched photos of same! If you are still unclear how these are placed I would suggest a quick visit to your local dealer to view the set-up on an up to date XF as this will give a clearer idea as to your direction of travel! ! Once again thank you to all for your interest in my humble efforts to fix this neglected issue which Jaguar seems to consistently ignore.

Colin.

#131 ·
I love the work you guys have put in this topic. Me as a fresh XE owner would like to attach such rubber seals to my door. But sadly the posted Amazon article isn't available for shipping to Germany. So I checked ebay for similar seals. This is as close as it gets:

The size looks about right but the shape is a bit different.
What do you think? Is it possible? Or do you got a link to a similar product with worldwide shipping by chance? ;)

#132 ·
colonie said:
I love the work you guys have put in this topic. Me as a fresh XE owner would like to attach such rubber seals to my door. But sadly the posted Amazon article isn't available for shipping to Germany. So I checked ebay for similar seals. This is as close as it gets:

The size looks about right but the shape is a bit different.
What do you think? Is it possible? Or do you got a link to a similar product with worldwide shipping by chance? ;)
Hi Colonie , This product that you have come up with appears to have an additional 3mm extra reach to the item which I have used . IMO this can only be a good result as it should actually give an even tighter seal against the area of concern ! GO FOR IT ! !

Colin.

#134 ·
colin6377 said:
Hi Colonie , This product that you have come up with appears to have an additional 3mm extra reach to the item which I have used . IMO this can only be a good result as it should actually give an even tighter seal against the area of concern ! GO FOR IT ! !

Colin.
Thanks again Colin for your advice. Im done and happy with the result:
Hood Automotive tire Bag Sleeve Motor vehicle

Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

#135 ·
Not wishing to be contrarian, but I've had my XE for six weeks now and while dirt / water does get into the areas mentioned it isn't what you'd call catastrophic (and I'm fussy).

I'm assuming Jaguar designed if like this (as opposed to a post production "d'ohhhh" moment). I mean, it is fundamental and therefore inconceivable that it wasn't planned ?

#136 ·
Colonie, nice job in fitting the seals, but I can't see a slot cut in the bottom seal for the drain holes in the door. If you haven't done so you might want to just make a small hole under each drain hole so any water that comes out of the door drains straight down rather then onto the adhesive part of the seal.
Admittedly depending where you are it may not be a lot of water but if the holes are in the doors it might well be worth adding them into the bottom seal also.

#137 ·
Pongo said:
Not wishing to be contrarian, but I've had my XE for six weeks now and while dirt / water does get into the areas mentioned it isn't what you'd call catastrophic (and I'm fussy).

I'm assuming Jaguar designed if like this (as opposed to a post production "d'ohhhh" moment). I mean, it is fundamental and therefore inconceivable that it wasn't planned ?
Dependent on XE model the side sills are different shapes, the R-Sport and S have a flat lower level on the sill, this stops the spray movement upwards. The Portfolio sill is curved at the bottom and the aerodynamics are totally different and the spray is sent up into the rear door archway.

#139 ·
Pongo said:

Hi Pongo , I find it inconceiveable that you seem to think that Jaguar would deliberately build in such a fault ! ( at least this is how I read your post )
Looking at a comparable XF you will note that this issue has now been adressed and as such I can only assume that that we as XE owners are looked upon as the poor relations in the Jaguar family ? ? Can"t see how you can describe yourself as " fussy " Apologies if my comment offends .

Colin.

#140 ·
colin6377 said:
Hi Pongo , I find it inconceiveable that you seem to think that Jaguar would deliberately build in such a fault ! ( at least this is how I read your post )
Looking at a comparable XF you will note that this issue has now been adressed and as such I can only assume that that we as XE owners are looked upon as the poor relations in the Jaguar family ? ? Can"t see how you can describe yourself as " fussy " Apologies if my comment offends .

Colin.
No offence taken.

I was saying the opposite. I intended to imply that it was inconceivable that Jaguar could have made such a fundamental design error - and so the way the cars are must be how Jaguar intended them to be having considered the factory fitting of extra seals and discounted doing so. They must have experienced the same ingress during testing but didn't think it was an issue ?

I am very fussy about my cars. For example, I currently have a screw in a rear tyre causing a very slow puncture. It's repairable - but I am reluctant to do that as I don't want to risk any marks on the wheel as a result of some ape getting the tyre off and back on (I speak from experience here having had mint 20" wheels on an XKR and a later XK both of which were marked by the tyre changing. Even after pointing out beforehand that they were mint. No point the "they are mint and I expect them to still look like that afterwards" malarkey - that just elicits some blank "you are a nutter mate" looks from the poor freezing cold, filthy dirty, minimum wage, sod being told to do it). If only there were a premium tyre fitter with high tech machinery and a floor you could eat your dinner off.

Anyway, as someone mentioned above, mine being an XE-S may have a different side skirt which means the dirt ingress issue is largely negated. I hadn't considered the fact that this may affect only certain models as a result and therefore my 'ingress' is not of the same magnitude.

I wonder if the XE-S side skirts can be retro fitted to other models ? Or whether they would a) be too expensive and / or b) look ridiculous ?

#141 ·
Thanks for the reply Pongo. I would point out that my car is an RSport & as such has side skirts similar to if not identical to those on the "S" which you have . This problem was very quickly identiified by myself which prompted my attempts to negate or at least reduce the ingress of the debris within the aforementioned areas . If you can live with it , fair enough but for myself it was an ongoing aggrivation which had to be addressed ! Unfortunately Jaguar I believe have still to address the problem at source ! Will they do so at some point in the future , who knows ? BEANCOUNTERS rule I"m afraid . Meanwhile enjoy your otherwise BRILLIANT car in all other respects ! :D :D :D Colin.

#142 ·
….well it would be brilliant were it not for the:

- constant fast tickety ticking engine noise (especially noticeable on overrun). Although this is entirely normal according to Jaguar
- groaning / creaking rear nearside corner in any circumstance where the body shell is twisting (even at a crawl)
- rattle over small bumps (same rear corner)

…..all of which are driving me insane :evil:

#145 ·
pauljobr said:
Colonie, nice job in fitting the seals, but I can't see a slot cut in the bottom seal for the drain holes in the door. If you haven't done so you might want to just make a small hole under each drain hole so any water that comes out of the door drains straight down rather then onto the adhesive part of the seal.
Admittedly depending where you are it may not be a lot of water but if the holes are in the doors it might well be worth adding them into the bottom seal also.
Oh thank you for the advice. I've done this right away.

#147 ·
Just looked at my rear doors and amazed at dirt there ! (unlike previous XF). Ordered P strip. Thanks for the idea.

#148 ·
Pongo said:
….well it would be brilliant were it not for the:

- constant fast tickety ticking engine noise (especially noticeable on overrun). Although this is entirely normal according to Jaguar
- groaning / creaking rear nearside corner in any circumstance where the body shell is twisting (even at a crawl)
- rattle over small bumps (same rear corner)

…..all of which are driving me insane :evil:
Dave, might be worth lubricating the door rubber seals using WD PTFE loaded lubricant. This cured a creak I had repeatedly and typically as I pulled in/out of my drive. Didn't expect it to resolve the problem but it did. Simply spray the lubricant onto a cloth and then run it around the rubber door seals. The carrier spray soon dries but it leaves a trace of Poly Tri Flouro Ethylene of PTFE to you and me.
As for the rear rattle then check the C pillar trim and in particular where it contacts the rear window. To test if this is the problem wedge a piece of cardboard between the glass and trim. You'll soon know if this was/is the cause.

#149 ·
mrb said:
Just looked at my rear doors and amazed at dirt there ! (unlike previous XF). Ordered P strip. Thanks for the idea.
I fitted the P strip back on page 10. Almost 2 years later and they're still working and still stuck fast.

Aside: The new face-lift XE still lacks the outer seals. They haven't learned, or the bean counters still said no...

#150 ·
as you may have read, I have jumped to XF, and cannot believe the difference in sealing of doors, even the leading edge of front doors has a seal, you cannot tell me this was easily doable on the XE for very little extra cost

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.