Jaguar XE Forum banner

Strong vibration at idle

39K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  yokyno 
#1 ·
My XE 2.5t (with the pre-ingenium (Ford?) engine) has strong vibration in idle. One can both hear and feel it. A tractor comes to mind. I took it to Jaguar, and they tightened some bolts on the exhaust, with zero effect. I think they will take a look again. But before that, I would like to see if anyone else has that problem, and what could be the cause?

I love the XE, definitely the best driving car I ever had. But the vibration at idle drives me crazy.

#4 ·
ahostmadsen said:
My XE 2.5t (with the pre-ingenium (Ford?) engine) has strong vibration in idle. One can both hear and feel it. A tractor comes to mind. I took it to Jaguar, and they tightened some bolts on the exhaust, with zero effect. I think they will take a look again. But before that, I would like to see if anyone else has that problem, and what could be the cause?
As Barrie says, it's a known problem with the engine mounts and the vacuum tubes connected to them.
Quote SSM 72758 to the dealer who should do a test on the system.
Big thread here: https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5675

#5 ·
PhilB said:
ahostmadsen said:
As Barrie says, it's a known problem with the engine mounts and the vacuum tubes connected to them.
Quote SSM 72758 to the dealer who should do a test on the system.
Big thread here: https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5675
Thanks. Very informative, as usual. I will tell the dealer when I talk to them, perhaps later today.

#6 ·
My dilemma is: our car is on short term lease with perhaps 8 months remaining. So, do I want to go through the trouble with getting this fixed?

On the other hand, I really, really like this car. I want my next car to be a Jaguar (XE or XF). But not if the dealer service is bad (had bad experience with other brand). So, this is like an exam: can the dealer service fix this problem?

#7 ·
It may be a simple fix such as reconnecting a hose (others have found this).
I'm not sure if it would be an issue with the leasing company as I understand they go over them with a fine-toothed comb on return and it sitting there shaking itself to bits might not be too good.
I would give the dealer a try.
They definitely aren't all bad so get it looked at.

#8 ·
PhilB said:
It may be a simple fix such as reconnecting a hose (others have found this).
I'm not sure if it would be an issue with the leasing company as I understand they go over them with a fine-toothed comb on return and it sitting there shaking itself to bits might not be too good.
I would give the dealer a try.
They definitely aren't all bad so get it looked at.
Yes, I took it back to the dealer, and they are keeping it for several days. So, at least they take it seriously. We'll see what the result is,

#9 ·
I have this as well with the 2.5 petrol engine (U.S. spec). After complaining about it, they replaced one engine mount and it got a little better but still shook far more than I wanted. It was, like you said, driving a tractor instead of a modern luxury vehicle. I took it back and they tried to tell me that all cars shake a little so I downloaded an Android app that measures vibrations and showed them that it was twice as bad as our ten year old Toyota minivan. They took it out again and suddenly decided that the other engine mount needed replacing too. It's now better than it was but definitely not as smooth as every other car I've every driven. It feels like a problem with the engine itself that's the source of the vibration, like it's occasionally stumbling. I've pretty much given up trying to get them to fix it although I may try again next year at the annual servicing.

I hope they manage to sort out whatever's wrong with your car. Please let us know either way.

#10 ·
CaliforniaJag said:
I have this as well with the 2.5 petrol engine (U.S. spec). After complaining about it, they replaced one engine mount and it got a little better but still shook far more than I wanted. It was, like you said, driving a tractor instead of a modern luxury vehicle. I took it back and they tried to tell me that all cars shake a little so I downloaded an Android app that measures vibrations and showed them that it was twice as bad as our ten year old Toyota minivan. They took it out again and suddenly decided that the other engine mount needed replacing too. It's now better than it was but definitely not as smooth as every other car I've every driven. It feels like a problem with the engine itself that's the source of the vibration, like it's occasionally stumbling. I've pretty much given up trying to get them to fix it although I may try again next year at the annual servicing.

I hope they manage to sort out whatever's wrong with your car. Please let us know either way.
They still have the car, for quite a while. Meanwhile, I have a 35t as loaner. Zero vibration. Sure, it's a different engine, but still... Anyway, the 35t is cool, yet surprisingly not hugely superior to the 25t. The 25t is definitely not a bad engine, if they can reduce the vibration.

#11 ·
They had mine in a couple of weeks ago, they said they couldn't find anything wrong but to bring it back if it continues? I've changed the fuel to Esso and I've got a 200 mile round trip next week, if it's still vibrating when I get back I'll be taking it back to the garage.

#13 ·
Xephil said:
Seems to me like I am having the same issue?

You can hear (and I feel) it, when the engine revs go down.

Engine mount? Is it an issue which will come up again or is there a permanent solution?

Thx in advance.
It's hard to judge from the video, the sound is not that clear. In my case, the vibration is there at idle. As soon as I increase the RPM just very slightly above the idle, the vibration disappears.

An update: they say it's the left and right engine mounts, and they will replace them (left and right? Doesn't that mean all engine mounts? Are there any other?). It took them a week to get to that conclusion, and it will take another week to get the parts. But I'm not complaining. Meanwhile I have a 35t loaner :D .

#14 ·
Yes, it's not at idle, just a little "above". If you listen carefully you should hear it. Car than vibrates a lot. Feels like it's caused by exhaust. Gets better, when engine is at temperature. Worse at low temperature (outside) obviously.

#16 ·
The engine mount issue is normally evident at idle as it is caused by failure in one or more of the mounts or one of the vacuum tubes coming adrift.
Once a few revs are on the engine it smooths out so the mounts aren't as critical to the smoothness.

Listening to your vid there is a definite resonance just above 1000 rpm.
It would make me think something is lose such as one of the undertray panels, a heat shield maybe, or part of the exhaust?
It needs putting on a ramp by the dealer and revving whilst a tech has a good look underneath.

#18 ·
I got the car back, and the vibration is indeed fixed. Let me be precise. The low-frequency vibration is still there, but it's drastically reduced. Before I could both feel and hear the vibration - essentially the whole car was shaking. Now the sound is gone, and there is only a weak vibration through the seat. It's still more than the 35t loaner and my Cadillac CTS, but not much - occasionally those two cars also have some moderate vibration. Definitely acceptable now.

This was an exam, and the Jaguar service department passed it! So, when my lease expires (soon), I will likely get another Jaguar.

I attach what exactly they did, for reference.

Attachments

G
#19 ·
Xephil said:
Seems to me like I am having the same issue?

You can hear (and I feel) it, when the engine revs go down.

Engine mount? Is it an issue which will come up again or is there a permanent solution?

Thx in advance.
That sounds awfully similar to a vibration/rumble I had on my last XE, it was evident when the revs come down (for example when coming to a stop at a junction) and sounds like it's coming from the front footwells which made me think it was engine mounts.
Turned out 2 of the exhaust mounts had completely failed (one was missing). They were replaced and the problem was solved.

#21 ·
I drive a 2016 XE 2.0d and just had my engine mounts changed - vibrations gone and the engine feels so much quieter. I knew about this issue a year back but my local dealer only changed one side, which helped somewhat. There was still this slight shake that got progressively worse (feels like a tractor on cold days). Finally I sent it in again and everything is perfect now with both LHS/RHS mounts changed.

#23 ·
Ice170 said:
what kind of cost was it to put this right ? car is out of warranty and local dealer telling me £700+ , which i think is in the high side ?
Mine is in for nem mounts right now. Under warranty.
I think 2 houts will do both mounts. I have seen mounts for sale at 160€. That would make 500 to 600. Go shopping.

#24 ·
Just an update ref what seems to be a common problem.
My 2.0d started to vibrate horrifically at idle.
My mechanic found the RH engine mount wasn't holding vacuum.
(The LH mount is OK, but as they share a common vacuum supply, if one is leaking, effectively, both are).
New mount fitted and car is back to normal.
Car is a July 2015 registration with 39000 miles.

Approx £250 to fix, (part £125 plus labour)..

#25 ·
My XE 2.0d just went in for the 3rd engine mount change .The vibration is resolved but the car's handling felt strange right after. The front wheel alignment was way out, as confirmed when I went to get it realigned .

So far, the mounts have been replaced under warranty (expires in Aug). A little inconvenient having to send it in again after 7 months, but the local dealer has been quick with arranging the appointment and repair completed within a day. Though I am not sure why the it would affect the wheel geometry this time round .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.