Jaguar XE Forum banner

Blind Spotting

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
How many of you don't have the blind spot monitoring option and does it cause you an issue? I haven't specced it myself, but having read some people have issues I thought I would ask the question.

G
#3 ·
Never had it on my XE's (until my current one), covered around 150,000 miles in those without an issue.
When I had it on loan cars I found it distracting as I wasn't used to it, but now I'm used to it I don't notice it and kind of ignore it, so may as well not have it. I find visibility in the mirrors more than adequate. The only visibility issue I find is out of the rear window, so always special the reversing camera.

#4 ·
I have it, and given the restricted rear vision I really appreciate it. If it only prevents one collision then it will pay for itself.

#5 ·
I'm a convert too.
Didn't have it on my first then saw it on a loan XE and wouldn't be without it now.
You may think it's noticeable at first but after a while it isn't and very useful when changing lanes as a kind of belt and braces to looking in the wing mirrors.
I would also add the reverse traffic detection too if anybody was thinking about speccing it.
Very useful in car parks when backing out of spaces with very limited sideways vision.
You get a very urgent beep if something is approaching.
It also picks up pedestrians who start to approach the car from the side as you start pulling out.

#6 ·
Also got it on this car. didn't have it on my first, love it, it catches your eye when it activates and lights up the orange led in the mirror, especially when idiots are carving through motorway traffic with abandon.

#8 ·
I had it on my previous car but mainly ignored it. I don't have it on my XE, have not missed it and would not bother to spec it. I find the side mirrors are sufficient enough to cover any area to the side and nothing beats leaning forward a little, if necessary, just to make sure all is clear.

#9 ·
I don't have the reverse traffic detection but do have the rear camera and find this gives a very wide angle view when reversing out of a parking space, to such an extent that you can see if anything is approaching left or right.

#10 ·
Sorry but that's not quite my experience.
Whilst the rear cam does give a wide view it's not always wide enough to look around corners.
The place it really has helped me is the under store car park of my local supermarket.
Just starting to poke the rear out will give an activation well before anything comes into camera view.
I'm normally pretty cynical about "gizmos" but I find it very useful.

#13 ·
Cheers for your input.

I do think I am going to give it a miss though, after a lot of consideration. I don't want to fall into a trap of relying on it rather than looking. I may regret it though I guess later on. Lol

#14 ·
Mash, I am with you. I think it is a great feature but I do not want it myself otherwise I might become a lbit lazy with checking my mirrors and looking over my shoulder. Riding a bike has helped me keep a good sense of awareness and I prefer keeping that as second nature rather than relying on technology for this.

#16 ·
I think it should be mentioned that anybody who purely relies on this before moving out into the next lane deserves to come unstuck.
I think we are a bit too savvy for that.
It should be regarded as an additional bit of help and never take the place of a look over your shoulder.
What it can do is what it says in the description is to warn you of vehicles in your blind spot such as the berks who sneak up on the inside etc.

#17 ·
:lol: Max Verstappen should have ordered it.

#21 ·
I'd rather be reversing out of a space a few inches (the usual big SUV either side so you can see bugger all) and get the beep than stick my nose out a few feet to get vision and get the "crunch" as of course they didn't see you.......... :D

G
#22 ·
PhilB said:
I'd rather be reversing out of a space a few inches (the usual big SUV either side so you can see bugger all) and get the beep than stick my nose out a few feet to get vision and get the "crunch" as of course they didn't see you.......... :D
Parked up today and two wonga wagons on either side, side vision totally blocked. Reverse engaged and all hell let loose as a car totally out of my vision was detected. Well worth having.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.