Jaguar XE Forum banner

Upgrading from XE to XF?

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  ahostmadsen 
#1 ·
My lease on my XE expires soon. I'm strongly considering getting another Jaguar. But I'm thinking if I should upgrade to XF. Has anyone with an XE considered an XF? What would I get out of it except a slightly larger car? They seem very similar in many respects.

#2 ·
Funny enough the first Jag I test drove was an XF and it was that drive that started me on my car hunt. Got to say I was very impressed with the XF and was very surprised by its pace and serenity. The car was extremely quiet and handled surprisingly well. The internal space was just on a par with the Mazda 6 I was "replacing" and if I recall just a tad longer and also slightly wider. It was the larger size that initially put me of and in turn I started to look at XE's. The reality is I would be the sole occupant most of the time and seldom needed the XF's capacity. However with a longer wheelbase it was always going to be a more serene experience than the XE which I would have highly appreciated. Of course come to parking time I'm grateful the XE's bum isn't hanging out waiting to be clobbered. In so many ways the XE is perfect for me and on balance I'm well pleased with it but I won't be discounting an XF so quickly next time around.

#3 ·
All you would get is a slightly larger car. I've had two XFs as courtesy cars and for some reason, I cannot explain, I was always pleased to get my XE back. If you need the extra space then go for the XF. If you don't, I would stick with the XE.

#4 ·
"Upgrading" ??????
:eek:
I think "Upsizing" might be a better term to use.
:lol:
I was looking at a parked XF the other day and thought how long it looked.
But when you compare the figures apparently on paper it's the same width as an XE but about 28cm (11") longer.
In my garage that extra foot near enough would cause problems.

Oh, and apparently the XF is 100kg heavier than the XE as well.

#5 ·
PhilB said:
"Upgrading" ??????
I think "Upsizing" might be a better term to use.
:lol:
:lol: I thought exactly that when I saw the thread title.

I would have thought that unless you regularly carry three passengers and / or lots of clobber there would be little point going for the XF over the XE. Same with 5 series over the 3 series. Or A6 over A4. Yes, the larger car might ride a little more smoothly but, generally, unless you really need it I would have thought the extra size will be more of a hindrance (parking, garage space etc) than a benefit.

The days of the 'large saloon' seem to be nearly over with most people preferring SUV's, hatchbacks and compact saloons. Cars have gradually grown over the years though so that a compact saloon today is as big as what was considered a large saloon a few years back. But the parking space sizes haven't changed....

#6 ·
I went with the intention off getting a XF and came away with a XE, I wanted something sporty after owning a Mondeo I liked the XF but after looking at it it was enormous, something like 12" longer 9" wider and slightly higher so had to look elsewhere, the wife spotted the XE and suggested we look at it, and as you say, the rest is history.

#7 ·
PhilB said:
"Upgrading" ??????

Oh, and apparently the XF is 100kg heavier than the XE as well.
My thoughts exactly! My other half once described the XF as the 'next one up' and had to be put right in no uncertain terms! :shock:

I see the XE and XF as siblings, they are slightly different for different needs. I must admit getting in and out of the back of the XF is pleasanter than the XE and the extra headroom and knee room is nice, but if you don't need that extra space then I personally haven't found anything to recommend it above the XE.

#8 ·
The XF has a bigger boot and more leg room in the back and that's important to some people. If it isn't then get an XE, spending the XF extra money on a better one. Also the XF is more awkward to park due to it's length and longer wheel-base.

#9 ·
richmond said:
The XF has a bigger boot and more leg room in the back and that's important to some people. If it isn't then get an XE, spending the XF extra money on a better one. Also the XF is more awkward to park due to it's length and longer wheel-base.
I'd also point out that the increased headroom may be of benefit if you really want the panoramic sunroof, as I understand this eats into the headroom a little so the extra on the XF may be more comfortable depending on the build of the occupants.

#10 ·
I have a friend with a 180D Portfolio XF so have been able to do a direct comparison with mine. I've also had a couple of XF courtesy cars.

The biggest difference for me is the handling, the XE is that bit sharper, more agile, more enjoyable to drive. The other main difference is the NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness). I have an early XE, so maybe the current cars are better, but the XF is a bit more refined and quieter inside. Perhaps the additional rubber seals round the doors on the XF help with this, as well as keeping the door shuts clean...

The interiors are identical to all intents and purposes, swivelling air vents aside (these don't stick out so much and catch your knee - not that I've had this problem in my XE). Rear headroom and access is better, so if you're a six-footer with gangly teenagers you'd do better with the XF.

Personally I think the XE looks better, the grille is smaller and neater somehow and the bonnet line is lower. Perhaps I'm biased :)

#11 ·
I'm fortunate to have both and both are great cars - the reason I got an XF first was the occasional requirement to take passengers in the back and have a larger boot.

I bought the XE for my wife as she never carries passengers so for us its a great two seater.

So having had experience of driving both, I think the XF is a better cruising car on the motorway, it had slightly less road noise and feels more planted - the XE is more fun to drive on country roads - now some of this could be based on the fact that the XF is a portfolio with standard suspension vs the XE with R-Sport suspension.

When it comes to replace the XF I will probably get something cheaper and keep the XE as the fun car.

#12 ·
I had an XF on loan for a couple of days. From the drivers seat they are pretty much identical. Just a bit more room in back. I thought about both cars before I settled for the XE. All reviews say the XE handles better. Unless you need the extra space in the back, go with the XE. Oh, and its a tad easier to park :)

#13 ·
Mikeyjd said:
I had an XF on loan for a couple of days. From the drivers seat they are pretty much identical. Just a bit more room in back. I thought about both cars before I settled for the XE. All reviews say the XE handles better. Unless you need the extra space in the back, go with the XE. Oh, and its a tad easier to park :)
Indeed - the XF is longer (just) than a Mondeo estate and a bugger to park in small spaces.

#14 ·
I can see there is certainly opinions in favor of the XE, perhaps not surprising since it's an XE board!

I think a main thing is that XE and XF are very similar, except for size. When I look at Mercedes E-class vs C-class, they seem quite different cars. For example, the interior design is completely different, although of course sharing pieces. But the XE and XF seem to have nearly the same interior (just judging from pictures). Perhaps Jaguar did too good a job in making the XE!

Here in the US, I could get an XE S for the same price as an 30T XF, and the XE S seems a more fun car to drive.

#15 ·
I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the XE rather than the XF...

I rarely have rear seat passengers, and the two most likely (my parents) are both noticably shorter than us!

But the biggest problem with the XF is that specced as I want, it would cost me more than our house did, back in 2000 :lol:

I can convince SWMBO about an XE that is just less than the house was, but the XF is a teeny bit too expensive!

#16 ·
I 'downsized' from an XF Sportbrake to the XE. The XF had more space - especially in the rear - but the XE car drives and handles better. The XF was more of a grand tourer as opposed to the XE which I think is an excellent drivers car

#17 ·
Kev259 said:
I 'downsized' from an XF Sportbrake to the XE. The XF had more space - especially in the rear - but the XE car drives and handles better. The XF was more of a grand tourer as opposed to the XE which I think is an excellent drivers car
That is exactly what I like in the XE: it is such a delight to drive, a true driver's car. I would have thought Jaguar had gotten the same feeling in the XF (I did not test drive), but perhaps not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.