Jaguar XE Forum banner

Keyless entry fault

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  HoratioAlgerIII 
#1 ·
I have keyless entry where, after getting out and closing the door, I just have to touch the small indentation in the door handle to lock the car (and touch it again to double lock). But this evening it has stopped working. It works on the passenger side door but not the drivers side. Weird.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

#4 ·
Mine is temperamental when it's wet - I'm also having to train myself to keep my hand away from the handle area as I close the door, otherwise the car seems to think I'm going to open the door again and refuses to lock. I typically touch the sensor on the rear door if the driver's door is being awkward....

#5 ·
Gaspode said:
I typically touch the sensor on the rear door if the driver's door is being awkward....
Hmmm. I tried the rear door one and that did nothing. I assumed it wasn't supposed to do anything - but that does beg the question why is there a dimple on the back door handle !

Are we saying you should be able to lock all of the doors using the dimple on any of the door handles ?

#6 ·
Pongo said:
Are we saying you should be able to lock all of the doors using the dimple on any of the door handles ?
Yes, you should be able to lock/double lock the car using all four door handles.

One thing you could consider given that yours is a 2016 is that the battery in the fob could be getting a bit tired and the car isn't sensing the fob near the car all the time.

G
#7 ·
I haven't got your locking system but what Phil says is likely. When you are in the car on start up see if the waring triangle illuminates for around 3 secs after all other check lights extinguish. If it does this is the first warning of fob batteries going. Both fobs will need to have new batteries.

G
#8 ·
I found this in my many bits of info on the car and it backs up Phils thoughts.
The Passive Entry system is based around the Jaguar Smart key. Each Smart key for a given vehicle is
programmed uniquely to that vehicle. The system will not function without a suitably charged battery within
the body of the key.
The main functional components of the Passive Entry system are as follows:
• Door handle and latch assemblies
• KVM
• Low frequency (LF) door antennas
• Smart key
• Radio frequency (RF) receiver
• Body Control Module/Gateway Module Assembly (BCM/GWM)
• Driver's door module (DDM)
• Passenger door module (PDM)
• Rear door modules (RDM)

#9 ·
Yes, all those lovely modules!!!
:roll:
I'd give the spare key a try first as it should still have plenty of juice in it .

#10 ·
PhilB said:
I'd give the spare key a try first as it should still have plenty of juice in it .
That's a good idea

The only thing that makes me thing it isn't the fob key is that it works perfectly on the passenger side and I would have thought it would have ceased working on both sides if it were the battery (key in coat pocket so same distance from the handle in both cases).

Obviously checking / changing the key fob batteries is another thing not on the 130 point (or whatever) pre approved Jaguar checklist despite them probably needing changing on a 30 month old car :lol:

New JLR Motto : "We do our best not to go the extra mile" ? :|

#11 ·
Pongo said:
Obviously checking / changing the key fob batteries is another thing not on the 130 point (or whatever) pre approved Jaguar checklist despite them probably needing changing on a 30 month old car :lol:

New JLR Motto : "We do our best not to go the extra mile" ? :|
Noo that might cost them money!! :lol:
Good news is that it's pretty simple and uses readily available batteries.

#13 ·
Just checked it again and it works fine on both nearside doors but not at all on both offside doors. I'm guessing there is some kind of separate module for each side of the car.

I feel another warranty issue coming on.....I wonder if they'll lend me that f-type again ;)

#14 ·
Well, bizarrely the locking has, out if the blue, now started working perfectly again on the drivers side.

It might be another of those "intermittent" faults. Great. There was me thinking "Well at least this one is a clear, indisputable, 'not working ' issue" :roll:

I honestly think this car has a mind of its own. I may have to rename it 'Herbie' :D

#15 ·
I do find the convenience locking to be flaky. It never seems to work on the first attempt, and I'm often to be seen swiping my finger repeatedly across the sensors till it eventually fires. I haven't found a technique that works consistently, though I have found that touching the part of the handle immediately behind the sensor often works quicker than touching the dimple.

It's probably quicker to use the key fob most of the time but, well, you got the tech, you want to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.