Jaguar XE Forum banner

Disc and Pad Replacement

78K views 203 replies 39 participants last post by  Rsport180 
#1 ·
#77 ·
Martyn UK said:
The aircon service charge is not on. Is the service garage an official Jaguar approved?

I had a condenser changed under warranty no problem and they said they also had trouble with leaking pipe

I would pursue this with them and JLR I am sure JLR would be very interested on quality grounds what has happened to you.
So they never queried the work they did on your Air con? Just did it without bringing it to your attention as if its solely a warranty issue which they need to attend to?

#78 ·
The work was on my previous XE, the aircon was not running cold they regassed it, but it did not hold so it went back and had condenser changed no charge for anything all under warranty.

It is normal if anything over and above normal service items is required the customer is asked 1st not just go ahead without authority.

I would ask to see the dealership manager.

Hope it all works out for you

#79 ·
Martyn UK said:
The work was on my previous XE, the aircon was not running cold they regassed it, but it did not hold so it went back and had condenser changed no charge for anything all under warranty.

It is normal if anything over and above normal service items is required the customer is asked 1st not just go ahead without authority.

I would ask to see the dealership manager.

Hope it all works out for you
Yeah think that's my best bet. And appeal to his better nature.
I'll have to make him aware of others that have had similar issues and it being covered on warranty. Whether it be for the air con or the discs & pads.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

#80 ·
That's crazy - Over the three years I've had my XE I've had the air con repaired twice under warranty - no charge (Just waiting for it to fail again !!)
As for the £100, that's not a lot of work considering most JLR retailers charge £150 per hour labour cost. Still they shouldn't be charging for work that is covered by a warranty.
If it's any help I had a breakdown 30 minutes out of warranty and Melinda Pawar, Case Manager, UK Customer Relationship Centre assisted me in getting the necessary repair (failed alternator) under warranty. Contact info, T: +44 (0) 1926 691585, e-mail: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com.
If you ring her you will probably receive a message that she is away from her desk, so leave your name and number and ask her to call you back. This may take a day or so (I think she's pretty busy with disgruntled customers).
Best of luck in pursuing your claim (although you shouldn't have to rely on luck to get repairs carried out on a 2 year old, low mileage car).

#81 ·
XES Owner said:
That's crazy - Over the three years I've had my XE I've had the air con repaired twice under warranty - no charge (Just waiting for it to fail again !!)
As for the £100, that's not a lot of work considering most JLR retailers charge £150 per hour labour cost. Still they shouldn't be charging for work that is covered by a warranty.
If it's any help I had a breakdown 30 minutes out of warranty and Melinda Pawar, Case Manager, UK Customer Relationship Centre assisted me in getting the necessary repair (failed alternator) under warranty. Contact info, T: +44 (0) 1926 691585, e-mail: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com.
If you ring her you will probably receive a message that she is away from her desk, so leave your name and number and ask her to call you back. This may take a day or so (I think she's pretty busy with disgruntled customers).
Best of luck in pursuing your claim (although you shouldn't have to rely on luck to get repairs carried out on a 2 year old, low mileage car).
Wow, that's amazing. So really I'm the only one who they've told this "service" on air con is mandatory and I have to pay for it..
How bizzare.

Can't remeber the exact figure but it was around £100 could have been more. They just threw so many numbers at me I got a bit disorientated.
A service cost is fine, but wen it's 5 times that.. It's just not making sense.

Thank you so much! I very well may need to call her tomorow once jaguar reach a decision.
Maybe even before they do.

I really appreciate that. Thank you.

And I agree, 10,700 miles, 23 months old. It's surely far too new to have these things go wrong.
If jaguar don't want to cover it. They're then accepting that their rear break discs and pads will only last 10k..surely they can't happily accept that.

#82 ·
Mike87 said:
Wow, that's amazing. So really I'm the only one who they've told this "service" on air con is mandatory and I have to pay for it..
How bizzare.

Can't remeber the exact figure but it was around £100 could have been more. They just threw so many numbers at me I got a bit disorientated.
A service cost is fine, but wen it's 5 times that.. It's just not making sense.

Thank you so much! I very well may need to call her tomorow once jaguar reach a decision.
Maybe even before they do.

I really appreciate that. Thank you.

And I agree, 10,700 miles, 23 months old. It's surely far too new to have these things go wrong.
If jaguar don't want to cover it. They're then accepting that their rear break discs and pads will only last 10k..surely they can't happily accept that.
From what has been said this aircon "service" isn't mandatory.
Nobody can find it in any service schedule for the XE apart from checking the aircon operation which is expected.
Threatening that if you don't have it done will invalidate your warranty is getting close to fraud as unless it is a written requirement in the service schedule then it won't invalidate your warranty.

I would refuse to pay anything for this "service" as it isn't necessary.
If they insist then ask to see written documentation to show it is required during a normal service.
Ask to see written documentation to prove that if it isn't done your aircon system will no longer be covered by the car's warranty.

When all is finished with this episode then change the dealer you are getting yours serviced at.

#83 ·
Absolutely spot on advice! Furthermore i've just had a look into the service requirements in regards brake fluid and that is normally renewed on the second service or 48 months, certainly not at 10K miles/2years.
Have to say 48 months does sound somewhat extended!
Looking forward to hearing the outcome of all this but it would appear this dealer should not be the first or last choice come the next service.

#84 ·
Mike87 said:
Martyn UK said:
The aircon service charge is not on. Is the service garage an official Jaguar approved?

Yes, it's definitely an approved dealership. Almost bought a car from them before I found my current car, as they're local.
Had to take it there for the service to be legit to enable me to keep my warranty going.
I noticed your comment above and if I read that correctly, they have told you that you have to go to them to keep the standard 3 year warranty valid. If they did, that is just an outright lie. You can take it to any approved dealership during the 3 year period.

Very sorry to hear your tale of woe which just seems to prove once again that garages very often see customers with no mechanical knowledge whatsoever as the "goose that lays the golden egg"

You should be able to expect a high level of honesty and service from any garage and especially from a manufacture approved dealership. Sadly this is not always the case and on so many occasions customers get ripped off for all those "unnecessary extras we can add on to the bill and get away with"

It might be worth investigating the history of your car. It would seem that so many of the low mileage ones were registered, not sold and then stored outside for long periods which can certainly cause degradation of discs. Mine was July 15 and I bought it in June 16 with 5500 miles on the clock. I found out from the DVLA by chance that it had SORN declared on it and was off the road for 6 months in the first year. I may have just been lucky, but my discs are fine (at least on the outside where I can see) and the car has now done 24000 miles.

As regards the air con as other have said, what the dealer has told you is complete cobblers. Mine was actually blowing warm air when I bought it and was re-gassed at 1 year, then again at 2 years and then at 3 years they finally changed the condenser saying they had found a very slight leak. They had found my front camera and pulled the plug out, but had failed to notice the rear camera which was recording conversations in the car. It was pretty obvious when I played the recordings back that they could not find the cause of the problem and in the end decided to try changing the condenser which was the cause of the problem all along. The car had it's first service at 2 years but never any mention of an air con service.

Sounds to me like your dealer has found a new way to to make easy bucks from all the unsuspecting punters. £1K for every 10 cars serviced, not bad at all!!

G
#85 ·
Well having read through all the posts on this subject it looks as if the dealer in question is taking the mickey. Go to your online service history
https://osh.jaguar.com/ Enter your VIN and access services. You will see the first delivery service. At the bottom you will see a box with pre delivery service. Click on that and a dropdown of all the current and future services are listed. Read all for the service you wish but also check the very bottom of that service for JLR recommendations. These are what JLR consider worth doing at your expense to keep things 100%. NO WHERE does it say aircon service, just check the function. There is no service required until a part fails or the system fails to operate efficiently. Coolant is just "Top up" Brake fluid is optional at years 2, 4, 6 etc I would have that changed anyway for safety. The most the aircon needs if it's working OK is a pollen/cabin filter change. That is part of the service and inc in the service cost. Change your dealer after this service.

#86 ·
BOBCDP said:
Mike87 said:
Martyn UK said:

Yes, it's definitely an approved dealership. Almost bought a car from them before I found my current car, as they're local.
Had to take it there for the service to be legit to enable me to keep my warranty going.
I noticed your comment above and if I read that correctly, they have told you that you have to go to them to keep the standard 3 year warranty valid. If they did, that is just an outright lie. You can take it to any approved dealership during the 3 year period.

Very sorry to hear your tale of woe which just seems to prove once again that garages very often see customers with no mechanical knowledge whatsoever as the "goose that lays the golden egg"

You should be able to expect a high level of honesty and service from any garage and especially from a manufacture approved dealership. Sadly this is not always the case and on so many occasions customers get ripped off for all those "unnecessary extras we can add on to the bill and get away with"

It might be worth investigating the history of your car. It would seem that so many of the low mileage ones were registered, not sold and then stored outside for long periods which can certainly cause degradation of discs. Mine was July 15 and I bought it in June 16 with 5500 miles on the clock. I found out from the DVLA by chance that it had SORN declared on it and was off the road for 6 months in the first year. I may have just been lucky, but my discs are fine (at least on the outside where I can see) and the car has now done 24000 miles.

As regards the air con as other have said, what the dealer has told you is complete cobblers. Mine was actually blowing warm air when I bought it and was re-gassed at 1 year, then again at 2 years and then at 3 years they finally changed the condenser saying they had found a very slight leak. They had found my front camera and pulled the plug out, but had failed to notice the rear camera which was recording conversations in the car. It was pretty obvious when I played the recordings back that they could not find the cause of the problem and in the end decided to try changing the condenser which was the cause of the problem all along. The car had it's first service at 2 years but never any mention of an air con service.

Sounds to me like your dealer has found a new way to to make easy bucks from all the unsuspecting punters. £1K for every 10 cars serviced, not bad at all!!
Its not that they said I need to go through them as a dealership to keep the warranty, sorry, I have been unclear.
They have said that they "always perform a service on the air con, for the benefit of the customer. Air con is a warranty item, but we always carry out a service as part of our work to ensure if you the customer needs to make a warranty claim, you can, but can only do that if the air con has been serviced"
So it requires its own service in order for me to have any back up regarding warranty on it.

As far as I was aware it was just a showroom/sales persons car. I did find out (soon after I bought it) that jaguar weren't aware of my purchasing the car, and didn't have me on record. So I needed to update them or I wouldn't be able to have any warranty at all. Odd situation. Its currently under manufacturers warranty, and in a year I believe, will roll over to approved warranty.

I can only hope jaguar come to a conclusion today, maybe they have already and i'll get a call from the garage soon, saying jaguar are happy to have the break discs and pads done on warranty.
They surely could not in all honesty, agree to it being wear and tear, they would then be admitting that jaguar parts, discs and pads are only good for less than 10,000 miles. Surely they'd see that as unacceptable? Because i do

I am very new the the jaguar family (first jag) and was hoping to have this entry level jag as an environmentally friendlier, more affordable to run option, so I could experience an exec car. Realising mots may be costly and services are £265, (without the topping up of liquids, which is fine, shouldn't be too much added on) I thought with it being so new, there shouldn't be such problems for a while.
So with a service costing over 5 times the set price, its disappointing

#87 ·
@Mike87,
I have opened a topic in the Customer relations section on this matter.
Dan the rep has requested you send him a Pm (CRC@Jaguar) giving your contact details, the VIN of your vehicle and details of the dealer you are having issues with and a run down of what has happened so far.
Thanks.

#88 ·
Vespa said:
Well having read through all the posts on this subject it looks as if the dealer in question is taking the mickey. Go to your online service history
https://osh.jaguar.com/ Enter your VIN and access services. You will see the first delivery service. At the bottom you will see a box with pre delivery service. Click on that and a dropdown of all the current and future services are listed. Read all for the service you wish but also check the very bottom of that service for JLR recommendations. These are what JLR consider worth doing at your expense to keep things 100%. NO WHERE does it say aircon service, just check the function. There is no service required until a part fails or the system fails to operate efficiently. Coolant is just "Top up" Brake fluid is optional at years 2, 4, 6 etc I would have that changed anyway for safety. The most the aircon needs if it's working OK is a pollen/cabin filter change. That is part of the service and inc in the service cost. Change your dealer after this service.
Ah thats a fantastic tip, I shall do that today.
Thank you for the link, will be doing that, there will only be one service on there, but I can see what was said for it.

Yeah i need to be able to prove that the air con is not something that requires its own service according to documentation by jaguar. Then them saying its mandatory is just them and no other dealership doing so.
Thank you I will give that a read this afternoon

#89 ·
Mike87 said:
They have said that they "always perform a service on the air con, for the benefit of the customer. Air con is a warranty item, but we always carry out a service as part of our work to ensure if you the customer needs to make a warranty claim, you can, but can only do that if the air con has been serviced"
So it requires its own service in order for me to have any back up regarding warranty on it.
No that is untrue.
They do that to make money.
The aircon does not require any form of extra service at all.

Please read my previous post about sending a Pm to customer service to sort this mess out.

#90 ·
PhilB said:
Mike87 said:
No that is untrue.
They do that to make money.
The aircon does not require any form of extra service at all.

Please read my previous post about sending a Pm to customer service to sort this mess out.
Thanks Phil, I did contact them and asked for her, but they said there is no need to have an case manager yet, as its still being debated by jaguar and the dealership. Once a decision has been made and I have grounds to fight it, I can then use her :)

But yes, how silly for one lone dealership (I only realise they are alone in this now) say that a service is a must, and they do it without asking as "its looking after the customer" for an extra hundred and something pounds..

#91 ·
Mike87 said:
Thanks Phil, I did contact them and asked for her, but they said there is no need to have an case manager yet, as its still being debated by jaguar and the dealership. Once a decision has been made and I have grounds to fight it, I can then use her :)

But yes, how silly for one lone dealership (I only realise they are alone in this now) say that a service is a must, and they do it without asking as "its looking after the customer" for an extra hundred and something pounds..
I have raised the issue of overcharging for an unecessary aircon service with the CRC rep on here.
It is a very serious issue as your dealership are effectively ripping people off by charging for this service.
Dan, the rep on here needs your details to investigate this and perhaps stop them trying to charge you over the aircon issue.
It is a separate issue to the brakes which the dealer and Jaguar are negotiating.
Can you plese send a Pm to Dan (CRC@Jaguar is the address for the pm) as I previously asked providing the relevant details including your vin, contact details and the dealership especially giving the quote about the warranty nonsense.

Can you also please let us know the dealership you are dealing with so we can avoid them in the future.
Thanks

#92 ·
PhilB said:
@Mike87,
Dan the rep has requested you send him a Pm (CRC@Jaguar) giving your contact details, the VIN of your vehicle and details of the dealer you are having issues with and a run down of what has happened so far.
Thanks.
Phil this is brilliant, so helpful, thank you so much
I do need to speak to someone now

How do i find Dan? type " (CRC@Jaguar)" into ..? Clearly I have no experience with forums

#93 ·
Mike87 said:
PhilB said:
@Mike87,
Thanks.

How do i find Dan? type " (CRC@Jaguar)" into ..? Clearly I have no experience with forums
Ah found it, in the PM section, ha thank you, will message now

#94 ·
Mike87 said:
Mike87 said:
PhilB said:
@Mike87,
Thanks.

Yep,
It's just like an email.
Type CRC@Jaguar into to the box and then "Add" and then give it a title then type the message just like an email then "send"

#95 ·
PhilB said:
Mike87 said:
Mike87 said:

Yep,
It's just like an email.
Type CRC@Jaguar into to the box and then "Add" and then give it a title then type the message just like an email then "send"
Fantastic thank you, I need to put dans name at the top? or will he pick it up ?

#96 ·
Mike87 said:
Fantastic thank you, I need to put dans name at the top? or will he pick it up ?
As long as you typed CRC@Jaguar in the box then pressed "add" it will get to him as that is the generic address for the rep currently looking after these forums.
Dan is the present incumbent.

#97 ·
PhilB said:
Mike87 said:
As long as you typed CRC@Jaguar in the box then pressed "add" it will get to him as that is the generic address for the rep currently looking after these forums.
Dan is the present incumbent.
Phil,
Thank you,
It has been sent. Took a while to give them a break down of each phone call (condensed)
As it seems I cant resolve the issue alone with the garage
Hopefully Dan can see my case

#98 ·
Mike87 said:
Phil,
Thank you,
It has been sent. Took a while to give them a break down of each phone call (condensed)
Fingers crossed.
Just out of interest, which dealer is it that's causing your problems?

#99 ·
PhilB said:
Mike87 said:
Phil,
Thank you,
Fingers crossed.
Just out of interest, which dealer is it that's causing your problems?
No word yet, hopefully something in the morning that I can go to the dealership with.
The last contact with jaguar themselves earlier in the day was to say, "tell the dealership what you want from them"
I shall be reiterating this in the morning so I've done what they ask.
Formally asking to not be charged for work or parts with regards to the break discs and pads, and also the £160 cost to service the air con.
I only wanted an add blue top up
I need a break down to see what makes it all come to over 5 times the basic service cost.

While the issue is ongoing, I'd rather not but, I shall most certainly reveal who they are as soon as this is resolved, whatever the outcome!

#100 ·
This seems to still be at something of an impasse and as far as I can make out still no definition of what an aircon service entails. Surely as no such thing exists then the charge of £160 is bogus. Just out of interest has there been any mention of a pollen filter being changed?
As for the brakes then without knowing more about the history of the car it does seem curious given it was (if I'm reading correctly) an approved motor. You say the bill is over five times the normal service cost and if so then presumably significantly over £1000, is this correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.