Members locations

Forum suggestions, help and advice.
PhilB

Re: Members locations

Post by PhilB » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:05 am

Fozzie1960 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:30 am
I thought this post was about members was about telling others their location, not having a dig at where people are located.
:roll:
I have to agree.
Let's not have any "North V South" nonsense please.
Plus any reference to where people are born and bred as in "recent arrivals" is going straight in the bin.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:08 am

Hey, don’t forget that though I now live in Leeds I’m an Essex boy. I hadn’t a clue where Leeds was in relation to Chelmsford till I followed family tradition in galloping, well, okay, in my case, driving, up and down the A1. Before then, when I was going by train I just knew it was somewhere reached via Kings Cross.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 am

Gojira wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Vespa wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm
I used to get my railway display cabinets from Sandwell. I always collected them either as part of a day out or on the way back from Devon or Cornwall.
Warley Model Railway Club?

If so, they are about a mile up the road from here...
No they have a massive show at the NEC every year but I hate the NEC having been there 3 times.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:59 am

Gojira wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:43 am
147daytona wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:04 pm
Everyone knows where Lands End and John O'Groats are but what about Britain's most easterly point, that's where I'm located :D
Funny you should say that...

Just over a week before the Beast from the East hit, SWMBO and I were in Gas Works Road, working out how many of the places on the floor plaque we had been to so far :mrgreen:

Not the most scenic of locations is it :lol:
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Slightly off topic, but we have a fabulous set of countries in the UK with such fantastic views and yet many people cannot say where a certain town or city is. I am very lucky indeed as there is, within around 60-90 minutes drive from where I live, the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Trough of Bowland. The Derbyshire Peak District and fabulous North Wales with Snowdonia National Park. Furthur afield Devon, Cornwall and The South Coast, Norfolk The North Yorks Moors, The Scottish Highlands and Lowlands. All great places to visit. I have yet to visit Ireland (North and South) All these places are well worth a visit if you want a holiday at home. No, it doesn't always rain in Scotland as some think. We have had several super summer holidays there with wall to wall sunshine.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am

Just for information, it is possible to check locations via "IP address look up" so please make sure what you post as your location is the same as where your IP address is located.
;)
Thanks.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am

PhilB wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am
Just for information, it is possible to check locations via "IP address look up" so please make sure what you post as your location is the same as where your IP address is located.
;)
Thanks.
Hi Phil, that fails in the modern era of work away, due to working in one place and living in another and accessing the forum from both locations.
I write this from Leeds West Yorks, but live 50 miles away in East Yorks, I'm sure many people on the forum from the South East work in London but live somewhere else in the South East, the same for many conurbations in the UK.
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Also fails if you’re using a VPN, my IP is currently showing Denmark even though I’m typing this in Lancashire (whilst wearing a tin foil hat :lol: )
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 am

Domfow wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am
Hi Phil, that fails in the modern era of work away, due to working in one place and living in another and accessing the forum from both locations.
I write this from Leeds West Yorks, but live 50 miles away in East Yorks, I'm sure many people on the forum from the South East work in London but live somewhere else in the South East, the same for many conurbations in the UK.
I'm not talking about where you are on a daily basis.
When you register you have to show your location and your initial registration shows the IP address you are registering from.
If they don't marry up then it's cause for concern.
No, I'm not talking about slight differences in counties in the UK either.
If someone registers saying they are in Birmingham or even just a county such as Kent or wherever and the IP says they are in Cairo then I'm going to look into it.
;)
Jay wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 pm
Also fails if you’re using a VPN, my IP is currently showing Denmark even though I’m typing this in Lancashire (whilst wearing a tin foil hat :lol: )
Yes, and I allow for that so if a new member has an IP and location that are very different then I give them the chance to explain why behind the scenes so to speak.
:D

Joe Social

Post by Joe Social » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 am

Pretty sure I registered from my workplace browser, they way they shape our internet traffic, I can be in London, New York, Berlin or Amsterdam.

Return to “Website Issues”