Jaguar XE Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

words fail me!

15K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  Gojira 
#1 ·
So I had my 1 year old XE serviced on 11th December. I told them about the fact that the stop/start had not worked for 6 months.

Surprise, surprise they just said the battery needed charging - very sceptical considering the well versed problems with jaguar stop/start and batteries but I accepted this as at least the stop/start was working.

I used the car regularly since, including a returning day trip to Ely from London on Boxing Day. Not used since as I had the flu. Today I get in the car and the battery is completely dead!

Currently waiting jaguar technician to arrive and hopefully they carry new batteries rather than just jump starting having to book in with the cowboys at Jaguar who serviced the car.

I've had the car 1 year. It failed within the week I got it with a leaky air hose and now a battery fault.

This is the last Jaguar I will own - premium brand my arse!

G
#27 ·
One has to wonder if the battery and stop/start on the XE is really the Achilles heal of moans about the car. I know it annoyed the life out of me. If it is fitted it should work. If it doesn't work 4 years is too long to find a solution. Now I am at a point where it's just "sod it"

#28 ·
That's just as likely to be a significant contributory reason why the XE gets marked down on reliability scores, an inconsequential feature that should but doesn't work dragging down the overall rating of the car. Agree 4 years is more than long enough to resolve the problem and importantly what has this cost JLR not only in terms of immediate fixes but lost sales. Curiously mine is working just fine and has been so since Harwood's worked their magic some three months ago i.e. a new 80 amp/hr battery.

G
#29 ·
BRC said:
That's just as likely to be a significant contributory reason why the XE gets marked down on reliability scores, an inconsequential feature that should but doesn't work dragging down the overall rating of the car. Agree 4 years is more than long enough to resolve the problem and importantly what has this cost JLR not only in terms of immediate fixes but lost sales. Curiously mine is working just fine and has been so since Harwood's worked their magic some three months ago i.e. a new 80 amp/hr battery.
On another matter today I was at the dealers parts dept and they have offered me customer discounts on any parts when I go in. I am thinking of having one of their batteries, (80 amp), in May when the service is done.

#30 ·
Phil B - My dealer has had it since Thursday and rang me on Friday to say they have checked the battery (using both the 1080 and 3080) and battery passes. They are keeping it over the weekend to see if any different on Monday. To be honest I'm not expecting them to find anything as since the Jaguar Assistance came out and charged the battery when it was flat the stop/start had been working despite short journeys so there can't be any drain on the battery. Could be just one of those things where something kept running when it shouldn't at a time when I didnt then use the car for a week. It will get a test in February when I am away for a week and I'll see what it is like when I come back.

As for the stop/start which stopped last summer I expect because of short journeys and air conditioning full on I'll invest in a CTEK charger if it stops again and see if that helps keep it going.

#31 ·
BrianS said:
Phil B - My dealer has had it since Thursday and rang me on Friday to say they have checked the battery (using both the 1080 and 3080) and battery passes. They are keeping it over the weekend to see if any different on Monday. To be honest I'm not expecting them to find anything as since the Jaguar Assistance came out and charged the battery when it was flat the stop/start had been working despite short journeys so there can't be any drain on the battery. Could be just one of those things where something kept running when it shouldn't at a time when I didnt then use the car for a week. It will get a test in February when I am away for a week and I'll see what it is like when I come back.

As for the stop/start which stopped last summer I expect because of short journeys and air conditioning full on I'll invest in a CTEK charger if it stops again and see if that helps keep it going.
Thanks for that Brian.
I had a low battery warning last spring which I'd never seen before.
I also think something was running which drained the battery more than usual (Sim card ran out whilst "in service" so might have been constantly trying to connect or something) but it hasn't happened since.

Hopefully it was a one-off in your case.

#32 ·
Had the same problem. Had it charged, flat next day, put new battery in under warranty been perfect since.

G
#35 ·
Here is all the information regarding the battery system including stop/start in XE. Of particular interest.

Part 3 - Quiescent Drain Test.
- The drain is HIGH when car is NOT double locked (single lock and alarm not active) causes car to not shutdown for up to 8 hours. May take several days to fully recharge if only short journeys.
- Keys left within 5 metres of the car can also cause the car to NOT shutdown.

Part 9 includes all the conditions for stop/start to operate.
- There are quite a few conditions it requires to activate!

Guides

Part 1 - Everything starts with H&S
View attachment Part1 - Health and Safety.pdf

Part 2 - This document defines the requirements for care and maintenance of batteries, and the standard of battery care at retailers for new vehicles.
View attachment Part2 - Battery Care Requirements.pdf

Part 3 - If a customer complains of a vehicle battery that discharges continuously or when left for a prolonged period of time, it is recommended that a quiescent drain test is performed as described below.
View attachment Part3 - Quiescent Drain.pdf

Part 4 - Battery Report Form - In Service Batteries Only.
View attachment Part4 - Battery Report Form .pdf

Part 5 - Battery Specifications.
View attachment Part5 - Battery Specifications.pdf

Part 6 - Battery Component Locations.
View attachment Part6 - Component Location.pdf

Part 7 - Diagnosis and Testing.
View attachment Part7 - Inspection and Verification.pdf

Part 8 - Midtronics GRX-3080 JLR Diagnostic Battery Charger User Guide.
View attachment Part8 - Midtronics GRX-3080 JLR Diagnostic Battery Charger User Guide.pdf

Part 9 - Auto Stop/Start - Requirements and Conditions.
View attachment Part9 - Auto Stop-Start System.pdf

Attachments

#38 ·
I've got my car back with no problems identified using the battery tester. The stop/start is working fine despite being at the garage for a few days. They did offer to take it back when I got on holiday for a week in february but if I find the stop/start continues to work then i know the battery is not draining.

I'll just put it down to a one off event for now.

#39 ·
I find myself in similar circumstances with S/S, took the car out on Saturday, S/S worked fine, drove to work,drove home, car left sitting for 15 hours and not worked since, although limited opportunity to try it out. I'll get it booked in as it's still under warranty.
Does this have an effect on remote starting as well? That's been a bit flakey as well.

#40 ·
Well finally have my car back, battery checked I presume with 3080 tester, charged and BMS reset, and S/S working for now, no one could tell me why their charging system works, whereas my Ctek charger has no affect, so I think I will be buying new battery when it stops again in a weeks time.
Only think I have noticed is that climate control was turned off, so maybe that is part of answer, car not designed to work properly when climate control on.

#41 ·
Repairman said:
Only think I have noticed is that climate control was turned off, so maybe that is part of answer, car not designed to work properly when climate control on.
That's one of the common reasons why stop/start won't work.

"Demand from the climate control system requires the engine to be running, e.g., when in defrost mode."
I would suggest "demand" would probably include the climate control working to reach the set/required temperatures too.

G
#42 ·
I can't believe all the required conditions for S/S to kick in (part 9).

My start procedure on the F-Type is ignition on, dynamic mode on, seat belt on, S/S off and away we go. If we end up getting an XE over the coming months then S/S will be off anyway but understand people who want it to work.

The other thing for diesel owners is oil temp. I don't know if the XE displays oil temperature (F-Type doesn't) but if your only doing 30min / 15 mile journey in cold conditions with climate control on then I doubt S/S would kick in anyway.

Double lock and keeping keys more than 5m away is also important as drain is more than double when compared to when car is asleep and shutdown.

Kind of a never ending thread. However if someone has a fault reader and S/S not working then if it is battery related a fault code would be logged. I have all fault codes in the manual.

#43 ·
simpler said:
I can't believe all the required conditions for S/S to kick in (part 9).
My start procedure on the F-Type is ignition on, dynamic mode on, seat belt on, S/S off and away we go. If we end up getting an XE over the coming months then S/S will be off anyway but understand people who want it to work.
Double lock and keeping keys more than 5m away is also important as drain is more than double when compared to when car is asleep and shutdown.
Kind of a never ending thread. However if someone has a fault reader and S/S not working then if it is battery related a fault code would be logged. I have all fault codes in the manual.
Luckily on the XE the S/S off and left hand arrow to engage dynamic are next to each other so I always stick two fingers up at mine on start up.
:mrgreen:
The double lock thing is important too.
Bloke on the F-Space forums had a very nice garage attached to his house and didn't believe in locking the car and couldn't understand why he had a dead battery after a couple of days. Was advised to double lock but he wouldn't have it.
:roll:

Yes, it's a never-ending subject and 55 pages worth on the Faults section is testimony to that.
The problem is there are so many reasons why it won't work anyway and throw in a flaky battery here and there and we see topic after topic on the subject.
If I didn't nag or lock up the odd topic here and there, we would just have topic after topic about it including ones that were nothing to do with it in the first place but morph into bloody stop start.
:lol:

G
#44 ·
I temporarily fitted a CTek comfort indicator yesterday and charged the battery to full on both the indicator and the charger. This morning we went out shopping and my headlamps came on on auto with a couple of screen wipes. It wasn't particularly dark by any means so I didn't expect the lights on, nor was it raining. The journey was horrendous as for some reason the area was jammed up with cars. It was slow or stop nearly all the way. When we arrived I checked the comfort indicator and we only had less than 60% charge in the battery. There were too many systems running and not enough charge going into the battery. When we came out of the shop 40 mins later it showed it had recovered slightly to >80% and showing green in the centre not the orange on arrival. I am going to recharge the battery again today and if it happens again it's going in and the dealer can check it over. They were very good yesterday in the parts offering me a 90Ah battery at trade price. That worked out just less than Halfords by £4.

#45 ·
Vespa, my comfort indicator shows orange probably 95% of the time and very rarely shows green but everything seems to work and run as it should.

G
#46 ·
147daytona said:
Vespa, my comfort indicator shows orange probably 95% of the time and very rarely shows green but everything seems to work and run as it should.
Thanks for that info as I was just, literally, going to go to the dealers to get a new battery. I think I will wait a bit longer and attck the plastic boot fitting tomorrow morning. I have other jobs on today as well.

#47 ·
Vespa said:
When we arrived I checked the comfort indicator and we only had less than 60% charge in the battery. There were too many systems running and not enough charge going into the battery.
I've said before elsewhere, unlike older cars, our Euro 6 cars do not continuously charge the battery. The BMS manages the charge by varying the regulated voltage and will effectively turn off the alternator at times to reduce load on the engine, hence reducing fuel consumption and emissions (the real reason for doing so - Google smart alternators). When this happens the battery is suppling the power.

I would expect the alternator to have sufficient capacity to power everything though and the BMS to sense the load and adjust accordingly...

Where are you getting your 60% figure from? Is the comfort cable display accurate?

G
#48 ·
From the Ctek instructions regarding the 60% but also from them, leave the battery 30 mins to recover. That done it went to green and showed at least 80%. All very confusing with the activation of unnecessary of lighting and wipers without any moisture. Perhaps the car actually has a problem.

#49 ·
Vespa said:
I temporarily fitted a CTek comfort indicator yesterday and charged the battery to full on both the indicator and the charger. This morning we went out shopping and my headlamps came on on auto with a couple of screen wipes. It wasn't particularly dark by any means so I didn't expect the lights on, nor was it raining. The journey was horrendous as for some reason the area was jammed up with cars. It was slow or stop nearly all the way. When we arrived I checked the comfort indicator and we only had less than 60% charge in the battery. There were too many systems running and not enough charge going into the battery. When we came out of the shop 40 mins later it showed it had recovered slightly to >80% and showing green in the centre not the orange on arrival. I am going to recharge the battery again today and if it happens again it's going in and the dealer can check it over. They were very good yesterday in the parts offering me a 90Ah battery at trade price. That worked out just less than Halfords by £4.
As I only do low mileage per week I purchased a Ctek charger and Comfort indicator and as soon as I received them I connected the Comfort indicator and it displayed red although everything was working ok except the s/s.Today I put the battery on recon charge until everything indicated a full charge and comfort indicator was green. I went out for a 9 mile drive (it was dark so h/lights were on) when I returned home the indicator was amber which to me indicates the battery is not holding a charge but reading all the posts I now have my doubts.

G
#50 ·
I think there may be some marketing gimmick going on with those comfort indicators (you buy one, see that it's on red quite a lot, so you then buy a CTEK charger, kerching!)... There's no way they can know the capacity of the battery without internal battery monitoring or electronics to monitor current in v's current out - but even then it'd still need a full discharge and recharge cycle to know the total capacity in the first place in order to give a percentage.
The percentage ranges they give are just wild guesstimates based on the voltage and provide a bit of comfort to the user (hence the name I guess). As an example, I have a faulty battery in my garage, it reads 12.8v so would show green on a 'comfort indicator', but as soon as you put a load on it, it drops to 0.6v and wouldn't even tick over a starter motor.

Doing some quick digging they appear to just be basic volt meters, according to a post I found where someone contacted CTEK the ranges are:
Green: above 12.7 volts
Yellow: 12.4 - 12.7 volts
Red: below 12.4 volts

(which explains why you appear to gain 'capacity' after leaving it for 30 minutes)

So even at red, you shouldn't have any problems - the car should be able to start (at least once) from a battery as low as 11.5v, then it'll begin to charge it.

As for the random wipers and lights; I've had that happen a few times, especially at this time of year, I believe it's due to moisture between the rain sensor and the windscreen - the car thinks it's raining and activates the wipers and headlamps. It corrects itself after a short time after it dries out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.