Jaguar XE Forum banner

Finding a rare spec.

14K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  Richardofyorks 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an S in 380 spec. Problem is, the colour. I'm after Firenze red, which seems to be less common than rocking horse droppings in cars coming through in the 380 spec. I've made enquiries to see if I can find out what's out there in fleet land, but no one is getting back to me.

Does anyone here have access to information about what is floating around in fleet stock at the moment? Falling that, I'll probably end up with a resale grey or black car. Maybe have something wrapped in 3m metallic red!

#3 ·
In my experience, you wait ages for the perfect spec, give up and buy something as a compromise, and then the very next week you see the perfect spec advertised :cry:

My view, unless you are desperate, have patience and wait for the right car to come along...

PS and don't buy a 340 because you'll then keep wondering what a 380 would have been like (ask me how I know....)

#4 ·
Pongo said:
(ask me how I know....)
:lol: Pongo, How do you know.?.... :lol:

I know what you mean, just jesting. :lol:

#5 ·
As previously posted, I have had the Rare Spec problem for 6 months now. Colour and HUD are particular problems - so many cars seem to be Black, the last thing I want. I've concentrated on big Group websites, such as Inchcape, etc. In the meantime I've bought an expensive years warranty!

#6 ·
I suppose I could mention that I'm after a petrol Portfolio 250 (+) or perhaps an "S", ideally year 2018. My ideal colour (now deleted) is Quartzite, or whatever it is now called. HUD (I know it's very rare) would be a big plus. Location Bolton, for info.

#7 ·
The must haves for me are 380ps motor, low mileage, configurable dynamics, adjustable lumbar support in the seats. Colour preference is the Firenze red, not at all keen on blue or block colours, could go black but it's a PITA to keep clean. Nice to have a solid roof instead of a sunroof, but not critical.

Having said all that, there are a couple of red 2016, 340ps ones that are tempting. From what I can gather, the adaptive dynamics of the earlier car just places everything in dynamic when you select dynamic mode? While the cars have higher mileage, they are corroding cheaper.

For me, the main question to the forum is how much better where Castle Bromwich cars screen together?

#9 ·
simpler said:
Red 380 low mileage and all the options? Including no sunroof. I haven't looked at history mind.

Wrong red I know but it's red and the only one in stock just coming off ex demonstrator. Literally the only 380 in red.

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2869031
If it had been in metallic, it would have been in my garage last weekend!

#11 ·
I have an MY17 340ps registered Apr 2016 and it has the configurable adaptive dynamics. Don't know if the 380ps version has even more configuration options than mine though.
You can map the 340ps to 380 (or as much as 400) since the power difference is apparently just software. I've read that the power is all high in the rev range so you'd only notice the difference when really pushing on - I keep thinking about remapping because I know there's more power available but I also know I don't need more power especially at max revs where I rarely drive!

Rgds
Steve

#13 ·
Jagxesmn said:
I have an MY17 340ps registered Apr 2016 and it has the configurable adaptive dynamics. Don't know if the 380ps version has even more configuration options than mine though.
My first one had the adaptive dynamics but at that time there was no "configurable" set up available.
Selecting dynamic mode on the drive modes put all four criteria into "dynamic" setting.

Configurable dynamics was standard on My18 V6's.
You have two screens on the dynamic set up menu.
One is "Factory setup" which just turns them all on dynamic and a second screen "My setup" where you can turn individual things to dynamic or standard.
Pic is of the screen with "my setup" which is set to all dynamic as per the factory setup as personally I don't feel the need to have anything but full dynamic on all areas.

Selecting dynamic on the drive modes will activate whichever screen has been selected either "Factory" or "My setup"

View attachment 5107

Attachments

#14 ·
simpler said:
Red 380 low mileage and all the options? Including no sunroof. I haven't looked at history mind.

Wrong red I know but it's red and the only one in stock just coming off ex demonstrator. Literally the only 380 in red.

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2869031
Wow, that's expensive for a pretty poor spec.

Compare it to this XF-S. also 380 petrol with pretty nearly every option available on it and only 2k more.

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2926851

G
#17 ·
Without even looking up the VIN it will a paragon fleet solutions car because of the reg OW (or OV or OY). It could of been anything from the managers car, vmax200, avis rental, magazine car or anything regardless of what the advert says. I've seen them all.

It will be a good one because it's ended up as used approved. Bad ones don't get brought back and end up at BIAS de-fleet management company at Bruntingthorpe proving ground. We've seen at least one that appeared to have a new front end come from there. And the ruined ones end up as savage at Copart. We have seen two Jaguars there so far but not XE's.

#18 ·
Thanks for the input folks!

The remapping potential is understood, however, so is the effect on warranty! With the bigger torque options, there is also some question mark over gearbox ratings. A custom map would be the answer of course, but again, warranty goes out of the window.

Configurable dynamics gives me the option of natural throttle response, which I prefer when a car is up on its toes, especially in the wet.

Regarding asking price, I view that as a starting point :cool:

Looking at the XF, how does it compare to the XE dynamically?

Re the one that has come through BIAS, if it's the one I was looking at, I'm not sure it has a new front end, but it's certainly had some work done. It is on the approved used scheme though.

#19 ·
ChrisGB said:
I've only driven a 180 diesel XE as a courtesy car but I was surprised how similar it felt to my XF-S. The XF is bigger obviously but it drives a lot 'smaller' than it is, if that makes sense. It's an agile car for its size. The supercharged petrol XF-S is marginally slower in the 0-60 sprint but only by .2 secs. The diesel XF-S is a lot slower.

#20 ·
simpler said:
Without even looking up the VIN it will a paragon fleet solutions car because of the reg OW (or OV or OY). It could of been anything from the managers car, vmax200, avis rental, magazine car or anything regardless of what the advert says. I've seen them all.
Yes I'm aware of the meaning of the plate prefix as relates to JLR, but looking at the spec it doesn't look like the kind of thing that would have been in general fleet. It looks like what someone would spec for a personal car. The only other reason for such a high spec would be as a press demo, but the XF isn't the sort of car that JLR are currently trying to wow the press with.

#21 ·
bensales said:
ChrisGB said:
I've only driven a 180 diesel XE as a courtesy car but I was surprised how similar it felt to my XF-S. The XF is bigger obviously but it drives a lot 'smaller' than it is, if that makes sense. It's an agile car for its size. The supercharged petrol XF-S is marginally slower in the 0-60 sprint but only by .2 secs. The diesel XF-S is a lot slower.
The XF is interesting. I've only driven an earlier generation one and it's handling was absolutely brilliant for it's size.

The XE is leaning towards being big for me, so going larger still is not ideal for me, but the right car could sway me.

Diesel is definitely out. If I where going oil burning, it would be 335d which is the most impressive diesel I've ever driven.

#22 ·
Regarding history, mine was advertised by the dealer as "previously privately owned" which I took to mean if has never been lease, rental or whatever. I assumed (in my head anyway) that it meant one owner.

When the V5 arrived it said 2 previous owners. I queried this with the dealer and, after allegedly trying to trace the history by taking to supplying dealers, they were still unable to give me anything credible.

The car seemed fine - so I just let the issue go. I was planning to keep for 4 years anyway by which time it will be a sub £10k car where such provenance is less important than condition and history.

If I do change it sooner by px'ing at a Jag dealer I'll be mighty unimpressed if this is a value affecting issue !

Bottom line, always insist on seeing the previous V5 before signing on the dotted line. Oh, and consider any reference to previous 'private ownership' to be bull$hit unless physical documentary evidence exists to corroborate...

#24 ·
Any intrepid salesman on here from Jaguar dealers, or does anyone know where the following needle in the Jaguar haystack can be found?😁 I'm after a v high spec XE R Sport; it must be in grey or black ideally with black leather, must be AWD, engine is less important but I'd prefer either 180d/25d And it MUST have ALL of the following options:
Black pack
Upgraded wheels
Advanced parking pack+surround cameras
Cold climate pack
Power convenience pack (keyless/elec boot)
Climate seats/heated rear seats
HUD
Pro nav pack or
Meridian 380 at least ideally 825 with
Digital instruments/interactive display
Dual view screen
Configurable dynamics
Configurable mood lighting
Illuminated tread plates
Elec memory seats/folding mirrors
Pano roof
Any other options gratefully received!
I've given myself 6 months to find this car. Is that long enough do you think guys? 😀
Budget is £20-25k
Any sightings, I'd love to know!
Thanks

#25 ·
Gosh - it;s funny how different we all are! Richardofyorks' requirements are very complex, and remarkably unlike what I want. I'd say he has little or no chance of finding such a spec, especially at the price. I've been looking for a much simpler spec for more than six months, and have had very little success; just one of my requirements (almost the only option that does happen to be on the above list) is almost unobtainable, namely Head-Up Display. Very few XEs are fitted with that, and I've concluded that either I have to order a new build, or probably give up on the idea. I might also mention that an XE with all the above features would have been very, very expensive new, and to some extent that will be reflected in the second-hand price.

At this moment I'm very tempted by an ex-demo 300 Sport AWD on an 18 plate, at pushing £10K more than specified above.

Best of luck R of Y!!

#26 ·
The car I was after is still on the Approved Jag website as they haven't delivered it yet 180d AWD R Sport in Corris grey with black leather OW17CNE CNE, check it out. With finance contribution it is £22k with 2 yrs warranty. I specced it up on the configurator and (as of now) its a shade under £51k!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.