Pads and discs at 20k?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Vespa

Re: Pads and discs at 20k?

Post by Vespa » Sun May 12, 2019 7:45 am

I suspect that discs may wear quicker with harder pads as they did on my MG Maestro when I fitted harder pads in an uprate excercise I did. The wear in the photos looks normal to me as there is always a small lip on the edges that corrodes as the pads rarely fit edge to edge. The disc material is "usually" the same on all cars (NOT on sports machines as they are often carbon fibre) and getting better braking is by disc size and pad material. The S has bigger discs and pads. I have changed many discs and pads in the past at around 30000 miles normally for my driving. The MG was at 21000 after I put on the harder pads from Mintex. I always use a dial guage in changing them to check the "run out". This is, in my opinion, the only way to do it as the runout is so critical to eliminate disc warp under heat. That is felt by a bouncy pedal feel. I know most mechanics take off the old and slap on the new but that is not how it should be done, as you risk disc warping. I use a Mitutoyo guage.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 am

Seems odd that there are so many owners who are having problems with their brake discs. Does make you wonder whether JLR were supplied with a significant batch that were not up to scratch. Have to say my fronts are just fine but the rears whilst not terrible started of (at least under my ownership) as somewhat corroded. I put this down to the fact the car had been stood for sometime and over the last years use they have improved to the point where only a finger nail could detect irregularities. As such I think I may well give these folk a try out albeit I'm not sure about the rear wheels being "turned" by the skim machine.
Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this technique?

https://skimmydiscs.co.uk/
XE Portfolio as a daily driver and Z4 because I still can!

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 am

STXS wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:55 am
I dont know if this is correct but doesn't torque vectoring by braking put more wear on your pads?
Probably, if you're driving on the limit all the time. I don't think it works under normal driving conditions.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Kemet

Post by Kemet » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am

Don't want to brag but Jag dealership just phoned me up to give me the details of my 91,000km service and apparently I still do not need to change my brake pads.

Dealership told me they'll soon erect a statue in my honour.

Ok I wanted to brag just a bit.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun May 12, 2019 10:22 am

Do you actually use the brakes in Dubai??
All those long open roads etc.
:lol:
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun May 12, 2019 10:23 am

Stop opening the door and putting your foot out to stop it. You will wear your shoes out. :lol: :lol: That is why your brake pads are lasting so long. :lol: :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Kemet

Post by Kemet » Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 am

Vespa wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:23 am
Stop opening the door and putting your foot out to stop it. You will wear your shoes out. :lol: :lol: That is why your brake pads are lasting so long. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D

I do commute quite a bit though.

I actually signed up to see the experience of drivers who've put high mileage on their XEs. I am hoping to keep mine for as long as I possibly can!

myquest

Post by myquest » Sun May 12, 2019 11:04 am

Against modern thinking, I know - but I use the gears as much as possible to slow the car. Saves brake wear and mucky dust on the wheels.
XE-S. MY17. Usual stuff.

Kemet

Post by Kemet » Sun May 12, 2019 11:08 am

myquest wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:04 am
Against modern thinking, I know - but I use the gears as much as possible to slow the car. Saves brake wear and mucky dust on the wheels.
To be honest, most of my braking is done by leaving enough space (15m) on the highway to be able to match the leading car's speed by only using the petrol pedal. :ugeek:

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 am

PhilB wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:26 am
UV Blue wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:30 am
I've just had my second service and flagged up uneven wear and rusting on the discs - I'm at 13.5k miles. They said it was normal and nothing of concern. Not so sure myself, there's a permanent 5mm of rust around the perimeter and the disc surfaces have a ripple feel. I find myself looking at other cars and by comparison the Jag's look poor.
Took a couple of pictures today for you to compare with yours.
Like yours, a 2 year-old S and mine has just under 12K on the clock.
Swept part of the discs are completely clear.
Tiny rust lip on the corner edge of the discs.
Outer rims of the discs and the internal vanes on the vented part are rust free too as they have a dark grey coating.
Please feel free to show your dealer to show them it's not normal in your case at all.

Rear disc:

20190511_101541(0).jpg

Front disc:

20190511_101522.jpg

Thanks Phil - I have downloaded your photos and will show the dealer - my car's going in at the end of the month...
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”