Hello from London

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Inpher

Hello from London

Post by Inpher » Mon May 20, 2019 11:57 pm

This obviously isn't a way to get my post count up so I can use private messaging at all...

I don't have an XE yet but I'm in the market for one (XE-S). It has a good combination of performance, handling/ride and practicality, and it has four doors which will be a novelty for me! Hopefully it's not too big for the cramped streets of south-east London where I live.

I'll update with some pics if the purchase goes ahead, but it's a Firenze/Italian Red with the 20' wheels and the weird plate behind the badge for the adaptive cruise control. Wish me luck.

mdem

Re: Hello from London

Post by mdem » Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 am

Good luck!
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 am

The Xe is a relatively compact saloon so you'll have no issues in cities. It'll help to have front and rear sensors and at least a rear parking camera.
Corris Grey 25D AWD R-Sport

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Luckily for me, this has all the cameras and lots of other tech to boot, so it will be a novelty I'm sure (as well as being easy to park). It's only about 20cm longer than my current car although 200kg heavier and a little slower.

Four doors was the reason for changing, but I want something of comparable performance that won't break the bank and is understated enough to keep the missus happy. She would have been quite unhappy if I'd come home with a Civic Type R or a Focus RS - both fast, practical but "interesting looking" cars. :lol:

What else can I say about this prospective purchase? It has adaptive cruise control. I'm a big fan of cruise control for late night motorway stints, but not many people seem to be able to keep a constant speed so I'm always intervening or trimming the speed settings on my current car. Adaptive may solve that problem! Anyone used it much and can confirm?

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed May 22, 2019 4:42 am

I must admit, I like the adaptive cruise on mine :D

If anything, it works -too- well...

I tend to leave it set at a fairly large gap (3 on the 1-4 scale), and find that it slows down so gently when I come up behind someone going a little slower that it isn't noticed until I check the speedo :oops:

On the other hand, the fact that when I realise it has slowed down, and move into a gap to overtake, it kicks down on its own to get back up to speed always gives me a grin!
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:05 am

I went ahead with the purchase (in spite of some possibly sensible reservations expressed by other forum members!)

So far I've done around 200 odd miles I think - a mix of motorway, central London and A-road driving. My first impressions (some of which are comparative to my previous car):

1. The performance is impressive although you do feel the weight coming from a lighter car and the engine is a little more reluctant to rev. However, it's deceptively fast and you find yourself at the speed limit very quickly. The car settles down nicely on a motorway cruise if you don't use the adaptive cruise control (more on that below).

2. The gearbox, although the same as on my previous car, feels quite different in terms of its behaviour. The shift points are different and the shifts are a bit harder between lower gears. I will probably be resetting the gearbox adaptations so it will learn my driving style.

3. The exhaust sounds good. It's more of a constant rumble (although mercifully quiet on the motorway), while the previous car was very Jekyll and Hyde depending on the driving mode settings. I need to do some more testing to see how it sounds at wide open throttle, on the overrun etc. I've not yet heard any induction/supercharger noise from the engine.

4. The 360 cameras are very useful for parking although it would be great if you could stop the reverse camera from taking priority over it when you put the car in R. I find the parking distance system is quite conservative (as you'd expect) and the system is telling you to stop when you have plenty of room. The blind spot monitoring is useful as visibility over the shoulder is obstructed by the B pillar - although the side mirrors are good enough that I normally know if something has entered my blind spot.

5. The forward collision alert system - I thought this was broken to begin with because it seemed very sensitive and I even triggered the pre-warning on the automatic braking system where the pedal starts vibrating. I then realised I could decrease how sensitive it is with the "gap" setting on the cruise control. I've still managed to set it off a couple of times after that but maybe I just need to drive with more care.

6. Adaptive cruise control - a useful system although not without its flaws. I've found it excellent at matching speeds with the car in front and on a long unhurried motorway drive on a fairly quiet evening, which I do quite often, I will be using it a lot. That said, I do find its inputs a bit aggressive relative to my own driving style (especially when I have passengers) and I find it overuses the brakes. I imagine it must really irritate drivers behind me if there's a fair bit of traffic with my brake lights flashing on and off.

For example, if someone cuts in front of me instead of coming off throttle and using engine braking to increase the gap, the system will brake with a fair amount of force. I suspect the designers needed to be as cautious as possible in implementing the system to avoid running into the back of other cars. It also seems that there is a lot less engine braking with this drivetrain compared to my previous car - I suspect this is because the BMW used regenerative braking to charge the battery when the car was off throttle. As far as I know the XE doesn't use this kind of system.

More to follow...

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 am

Good write up of your experiences so far.
I would suggest exploring the drive modes a bit as they can make quite a bit of difference.
Personally I have always driven both of mine in Dynamic as I find it really brings the best out of the car and the V6.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

mdem

Post by mdem » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Totally agree Phil. Two buttons to press after the start button. Auto stop/start off, dynamic on. They’re so close to each other you can do both at once!
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:12 am

mdem wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 pm
Totally agree Phil. Two buttons to press after the start button. Auto stop/start off, dynamic on. They’re so close to each other you can do both at once!
Likewise!
I do the "two finger" start as well!
:D
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:54 am

After a bit more time with the car now, I think I've adapted to it (or it has adapted to me). Adaptive cruise is, as I suspected, a lot more useful on less congested motorways outside of London. I've found a gap setting of 1 works best on congested roads, and 2-4 works best when there is less congestion. I've not noticed as much harsh braking from the ACC system, although that could just be me getting used to it.

I tested park assist earlier, in a busy supermarket car park so maybe not the best place to trial it. I cancelled it when it looked like it was about to run over a woman loading shopping into her boot. I'm sure it would have told me to stop before I cancelled, but I didn't want to risk it. Something to try again later where there aren't people walking around! It was certainly an interesting experience to see the steering wheel whirling around without any input from me though.

The auto high beam function seems to get confused and switch itself off if it sees anything reflective (like bollards with red reflectors) - although to me that's preferable to it getting confused and dazzling people. I haven't decided whether I'll leave this on or do things the old-fashioned way.

I continue to be impressed by the performance, especially now I've driven some B roads and been able to test using the throttle wide open in Dynamic+Sport. It inspires confidence a lot more than the BMW did when cornering, and it feels a lot more planted. I've also now heard the supercharger and it sounds great. In fact the car just generally sounds a lot better (the noise in the BMW was fake), with the combination of intake sound, supercharger whine and exhaust growl. I'm not sure what it sounds like from outside, but presumably it is louder.

At idle though, especially when cold, the engine itself sounds quite rough. It's a direct injection engine (and they always sound a bit rough), plus it's a V6 which is inherently unbalanced at idle compared to the BMW inline six, which you could barely tell was running other than some faint injector noise. So maybe I'm just comparing the two. Also related to the engine, I suspect it's running quite rich but will be using my OBD plug to check tomorrow. Why do I suspect it's running rich? Well, there was some soot build up on the exhaust tips (cleaned off with Autosol), the economy is a few MPG short of what I expected (maybe 36-37mpg on a long run at 70mph - I expected about 40mpg), and I could smell a little unburnt petrol. Anyone else with the same engine able to comment on whether this is normal?

Anything else... I've only just noticed the ambient lighting changes to red when in dynamic and I can select the standard colour on the ICT. A nice touch. Speaking of colours, and also how some people are fairly oblivious when it comes to cars, I picked up my grandmother yesterday and she didn't notice the car was different. When I mentioned it she said "Well they're both red aren't they?" Better than my housemate though, who hadn't noticed after it had been parked outside the house for two days and then asked "Is it silver?" :?

I'll report back on the fuel mixture. I am probably just being paranoid.

Return to “Introductions”