Jaguar XE Forum banner

HELPPP leak discovered

17K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  chrisjp 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help. Yesterday I discovered a leak in my Jag XE engine bay (pictures attached).

Can anyone tell me what this is? Is it a serious issue? Any idea how it was caused? And would it be covered under Jag warranty?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I haven't long had the car.

Apologies they ain't great pictures.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I think that is the turbo and it maybe oil seal failure. You would have to visit a dealer to confirm. I am not sure about the warranty but if it is the Jaguar warranty it's most likely to be covered. The question is what engine is it, diesel or petrol ?. I have been through my PDF files on the diesel and cannot decide excatly where the pipe is but it does look as if it is from the turbo. What year is it and what is the mileage ?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply and sorry that would help haha...

It's a 2.0 diesel and the pipe is on the left side of the engine if your facing the car front on. I have another picture (attached) but unfortunately that's not very clear either! It's a 2016 and has done 59k. Still covered under Jag warranty I'm just not sure if that will be covered!

Attachments

G
#5 ·
I have just had a look at mine and there is also a very slight weep, and I mean slight, in the same area. My turbo was replaced at around 5000 miles because of a whine. The car has now done 14600 miles in total or 9600 miles for the replacement turbo. If that is the limit for turbos to last I will get a normally aspirated car next time. I don't think I am going to worry about it as the car runs fine. With such high temperatures at the turbo and such high speed revolutions I suspect some slight leakage will be apparent. The pipe goes to the intercooler. A suggestion here is that if the dealer says it's OK clean it all off with engine cleaner and check it again at 100 mile intervals.Keep an eye on oil levels as well. Mine does not seem to use oil very much. The fitting clip seems a bit feeble and if there were a stronger clip I doubt any oil would be showing. I have no doubt that there are lots of XE's out there with the same issue.

G
#9 ·
I have been thinking about this and wonder if it is caused by oil misting. That mixes with water vapour and settles out in some engines. My Rover 45V6 had a similar issue which never bothered me but some chaps on the MG Rover website fitted "catch tanks" as the oiling caused problems with some cars air intake electronics. These were small tanks fitted to the intakes which collected this oil over a period of time so it could be drained off. If it got into the electrics it caused one of the air intakes to malfunction and power was lost. Mine never had the problem, luckily. I cannot see this affecting the XE as it doesn't appear to have that system of operation.
EG http://oilcatchtank.com/

#10 ·
Just checked mine and also seems to be leaking. Will get it checked under warranty. Thanks for pointing it out!

Attachments

G
#12 ·
That is how mine looks but on touching it it was slightly wet at the very top. I suspect oil misting and it is nothing to worry about until/or if it gets to the EGR valve which can be cleaned with a suitable cleaner.

#13 ·
Thanks all for the replies, that's really helpful!

I have got it booked in with JLR this Wednesday under warranty and will report back their findings.

It seems pretty unusual and on mine it is pretty wet and pipe is really black where it looks like it's been leaking for a while.

Also my engine seems to run a bit rough when I start it in the morning but not sure if this is normal on Jags or even if the above is related in any way but will mention it to them when I drop it in Wednesday.... The engine sometimes is really loud when it starts and then calms down after about 3-4 mins.

G
#14 ·
The rough running could be the EGR valve needing cleaning but most diesel engines sound a bit clackety when cold. I use Millers Ecomax which is supposed to help keep things running better. Every now and then I put a bottle of Wynns diesel engine cleaner in the tank on fill up, usually in the spring just to give in a clean up. Probably a waste of money but I have done it with the two diesels I have had and never had any problems. I am still convinced that this is caused by oil misting which many cars suffer from. On my old MG Maestro it was a real pain and caused small breathers to block, until I insulated the oil filler pipe which had a breather attached to it. It was right at the front of the engine exposed to all the cold air. The insulation was noted by my dealer and MG Rover made a kit to fit it which I got FOC from my dealer. They are now my JLR dealer.

#15 ·
Thanks Vespa.

I managed to get a recording of the rough engine start up (see below link) which you will hear in the first part of the video and in the second part you will hear it has slightly calmed down.

I took my car to a JLR service centre today and they are currently investigating both the noise and leak. Not much progress yet, had to leave it overnight.. I don't think mine is caused by misting as the liquid seems oily and solid rather than misty. I think it's probably a faulty seal (I hope). I'm keen to find out what this engine noise is though. I don't hear it that often and sounds a bit concerning :cry:

G
#16 ·
M4RK5JAG said:
Thanks Vespa.

I managed to get a recording of the rough engine start up (see below link) which you will hear in the first part of the video and in the second part you will hear it has slightly calmed down.

I took my car to a JLR service centre today and they are currently investigating both the noise and leak. Not much progress yet, had to leave it overnight.. I don't think mine is caused by misting as the liquid seems oily and solid rather than misty. I think it's probably a faulty seal (I hope). I'm keen to find out what this engine noise is though. I don't hear it that often and sounds a bit concerning :cry:
The misting eventually goes back to oil as the water evaporates and is slightly gooey. On the MG Maestro this formed in the thinner pipes and
eventually go sucked out under vac pressure entering the cylinders and causing what looked like an exploding engine for a few seconds. The XE pipe is in a similar place although much wider and that is why I am sure its oil misting. I would bet they find no faults but change the pipe and clips. The noise sounds like oil starvation on start up combined with cold diesel engine noise. I think that needs looking at but if its only for a few seconds it may be nothing to worry about. This engine has a cam chain and is known to have problems with them. There are several tensioners on the route of it around the pulleys they may be at fault.

#17 ·
Vespa said:
M4RK5JAG said:
Thanks Vespa.

The misting eventually goes back to oil as the water evaporates and is slightly gooey. On the MG Maestro this formed in the thinner pipes and
eventually go sucked out under vac pressure entering the cylinders and causing what looked like an exploding engine for a few seconds. The XE pipe is in a similar place although much wider and that is why I am sure its oil misting. I would bet they find no faults but change the pipe and clips. The noise sounds like oil starvation on start up combined with cold diesel engine noise. I think that needs looking at but if its only for a few seconds it may be nothing to worry about. This engine has a cam chain and is known to have problems with them. There are several tensioners on the route of it around the pulleys they may be at fault.
I see what you mean and thanks, that's really helpful.. I just had a call from JLR and they have confirmed it's a oil leak with the 'down pipe turbo' and the noise is due to lack of pressure caused by the leak (I think he said). They've ordered parts (not sure what) but won't arrive until next week so I'm taking the car back for the time being as I would rather it be in my garage than their car park :lol: They said it will be okay if I keep an eye on the oil level and don't use it much which I won't.

I'm really keen to find out next week if that is the cause of the noise

#18 ·
Hi all,

Just an update on the above...

I finally had the turbo down pipe and seals replaced early last week and since replacing there hasn't really been a leak (fingers crossed). There are what looks like oil dribble marks on the downpipe but I think that might have been when they first replaced it as it isn't wet. I will try upload some pictures tomorrow.

However, the engine rough running noise on startup is still present. The noise will go after a minute or so and it doesn't matter if the car is cold or hot.

I had it booked in today with JLR to have the noise looked into but the diagnosis was inconclusive. The Jaguar approved service centre think it's the drive chain and apparently Jaguar are saying they think it's the turbo so the Jaguar service centre have asked for a Jaguar engineer to come out to confirm before they order parts but don't have any dates as of yet.

Any thoughts on what you think it might be?
There is a link to a video in one of my earlier posts which you can hear the rough engine running and I have captured a few more since. The noise is very predominant near the driver side front wheel.

Not sure if I should be starting a new thread but any ideas will be greatly appreciated :D

Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Jaguar XE 2.0 R-Sport diesel 2016 Automatic

#20 ·
Evening all.

I've read this thread and perused the internet for similar information, but with this being a fairly new model of car, there's very little out there about this particular issue.

Cutting to the chase - I have this particular leak with my XE. I noticed it a few weeks ago when refilling the screen wash. It appears to have gotten marginally worse in that time, indicating a currently active leak, rather than one that has since been rectified.

Diagnosis and rectification could be costly, as it would be for a turbo on any car, but particularly on the jag. My previous car, a Mondeo, I was quoted £1,000 to replace a turbo. So, as you can imagine, I'm very keen to find the cheapest and easiest fix. Preferably something that I can afford to pay Jag to do for me, purely for completeness.

Background
In June 2019, I instructed a used car dealer to source a used diesel (163) manual XE, and he returned a day later with an ex-fleet 04/16 Narvik Black XE from an auction in England with 58,000 on the clock, FSH, all working, all in good condition. I paid up and it's been my daily driver since. 63,000/72 month service carried out in September 2019. Now it has 70,000 miles on the clock.

I understand that this is outside of the manufacturers warranty as it is now older than 3 years (4 years in April), and that any warranty claims would have to go through the merchant, the independent used car dealer that I bought the car from.

The queries I have are these.
-Has anyone here established the source of the leaks?
-Can they be rectified without major service or component replacement?
-Are there any examples of this being rectified successfully?
-What cost implication can I expect as a result?
-If it does require a replacement turbo, would a turbo failure within 70,000 miles be seen as early failure, and therefore fall under my European consumer rights (for however long we have them :roll: ) to have this replaced or repaired?

I appreciate I've said a lot there, but I really cannot afford to have to replace something like this out of my own pocket, so I'm trying to do as much research before I pick up the phone to anybody, be it Jag or anybody else.

All relevant input appreciated.

#21 ·
Hi,

My first post here.

I have this issue on my 2016 Jaguar XE 2.0d 180. Did someone get this issue solved and what was the solution?

I'm also having some slight engine vibration while engine is cold. Appears clearest when choosing R from transmission. Some noise coming from exhaust when vibrating. I changed one exhaust vibration damper earlier because it was broken but the noise is still there.

Planning to take my Jag to service soon but would like to know if someone got this solved already.

Thanks!

#23 ·
If it's still within the 3 year warranty period and has been serviced in line with JLR's schedule then yes. Otherwise no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.