Drive mode self-changing.

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: UK

Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 pm

The usual cry here. Am I alone?

Several times in the last couple of weeks I've started driving and found the car in Normal mode. I always use it in Eco, though I do slip it into Sport on occasion to pass something. I certainly haven't switched it over inadvertently, or even deliberately, other than trying it for a tankful to see what the difference in fuel efficiency was like.

Is this something that has been cured in the past for most folks, by one of the unmentionable updates?

Sorry PhilB if there is a thread on this elsewhere, I did search but couldn't tie one down.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


Pete McK
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:50 am
Location: Teesside

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Pete McK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:29 am

Mine has swapped itself to normal on 3 or 4 occasions over the last 2 years, still not sure why.

One thing to be aware of is when you put it back to Eco it switches off auto front and rear screen demist and puts the air con in low power mode - which not everyone might want. Personally I put these back on manually.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.


User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 am

It also changes the dash layout, which is annoying, as it seems to have to cycle through all the options but the one I want, before eventually getting to it second time around. I haven't fathomed that one yet.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


User avatar
Vespa
Posts: 4809
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:50 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Vespa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

Is this happening whilst driving? Or is it after a new start up after 6 hours of lay up? If it's the latter that is normal.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D


User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am
Is this happening whilst driving? Or is it after a new start up after 6 hours of lay up? If it's the latter that is normal.
???

Are you suggesting that it should always start up in Normal mode? It certainly doesn't do that. I haven't ascertained yet if it changes on start or later, it's not something I'm looking for. Perhaps I should start.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Malta

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Stephen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:02 am

From the online Owner's Handbook for the MY16 XE:

"Dynamic driving mode will remain selected for approximately 6 hours after the ignition is switched off, after which point it will need to be selected again, if required."

It does not say the same about the Eco driving mode, however.


User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 am

Stephen wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:02 am
From the online Owner's Handbook for the MY16 XE:

"Dynamic driving mode will remain selected for approximately 6 hours after the ignition is switched off, after which point it will need to be selected again, if required."

It does not say the same about the Eco driving mode, however.
That seems an odd approach. Why change it at all, leave it to the driver to set it how he wants. Perhaps just a nudge to suggest you shouldn't use Dynamic too much, for fuel consumption reasons. ??? Similar to having to switch off Stop/Start every time, if you don't want it. More Big Brother.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


User avatar
Gojira
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:41 pm
Location: Sandwell, West Midlands

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Gojira » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:37 am

And just to confuse things, here is the quote from the MY19 handbook :)
The comfort driving mode is automatically selected each time the ignition is switched on. The previous driving mode selection is not retained when the ignition is switched off.
Someone obviously reprogrammed the computer at some point, but why?

If I'm staying in the local urban area, I might drop it into Eco, but most of the time it goes straight to Dynamic - I've really not done many miles in Comfort, after I discovered I could get as good or better MPG in Dynamic :lol:
A Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:


User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am

Gojira wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:37 am
And just to confuse things, here is the quote from the MY19 handbook :)
The comfort driving mode is automatically selected each time the ignition is switched on. The previous driving mode selection is not retained when the ignition is switched off.
Someone obviously reprogrammed the computer at some point, but why?

If I'm staying in the local urban area, I might drop it into Eco, but most of the time it goes straight to Dynamic - I've really not done many miles in Comfort, after I discovered I could get as good or better MPG in Dynamic :lol:
Is 'Comfort mode' not just about the suspension?
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


User avatar
PhilB
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: South Buckinghamshire

Re: Drive mode self-changing.

Post by PhilB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am
Is 'Comfort mode' not just about the suspension?
Comfort mode is a term used sometimes for "Normal" mode.
It can be confusing as unless you have adaptive dynamics (electronic suspension) you can do bugger all about the ride and suspension settings.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.


Post Reply

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”