Jaguar XE Forum banner

Drive mode self-changing.

8K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike Rometer 
#1 ·
The usual cry here. Am I alone?

Several times in the last couple of weeks I've started driving and found the car in Normal mode. I always use it in Eco, though I do slip it into Sport on occasion to pass something. I certainly haven't switched it over inadvertently, or even deliberately, other than trying it for a tankful to see what the difference in fuel efficiency was like.

Is this something that has been cured in the past for most folks, by one of the unmentionable updates?

Sorry PhilB if there is a thread on this elsewhere, I did search but couldn't tie one down.

#2 ·
Mine has swapped itself to normal on 3 or 4 occasions over the last 2 years, still not sure why.

One thing to be aware of is when you put it back to Eco it switches off auto front and rear screen demist and puts the air con in low power mode - which not everyone might want. Personally I put these back on manually.

#3 ·
It also changes the dash layout, which is annoying, as it seems to have to cycle through all the options but the one I want, before eventually getting to it second time around. I haven't fathomed that one yet.

#5 ·
Vespa said:
Is this happening whilst driving? Or is it after a new start up after 6 hours of lay up? If it's the latter that is normal.
???

Are you suggesting that it should always start up in Normal mode? It certainly doesn't do that. I haven't ascertained yet if it changes on start or later, it's not something I'm looking for. Perhaps I should start.

#6 ·
From the online Owner's Handbook for the MY16 XE:

"Dynamic driving mode will remain selected for approximately 6 hours after the ignition is switched off, after which point it will need to be selected again, if required."

It does not say the same about the Eco driving mode, however.

#7 ·
Stephen said:

"Dynamic driving mode will remain selected for approximately 6 hours after the ignition is switched off, after which point it will need to be selected again, if required."

That seems an odd approach. Why change it at all, leave it to the driver to set it how he wants. Perhaps just a nudge to suggest you shouldn't use Dynamic too much, for fuel consumption reasons. ??? Similar to having to switch off Stop/Start every time, if you don't want it. More Big Brother.

#8 ·
And just to confuse things, here is the quote from the MY19 handbook :)

The comfort driving mode is automatically selected each time the ignition is switched on. The previous driving mode selection is not retained when the ignition is switched off.
Someone obviously reprogrammed the computer at some point, but why?

If I'm staying in the local urban area, I might drop it into Eco, but most of the time it goes straight to Dynamic - I've really not done many miles in Comfort, after I discovered I could get as good or better MPG in Dynamic :lol:

#9 ·
Gojira said:
And just to confuse things, here is the quote from the MY19 handbook :)

The comfort driving mode is automatically selected each time the ignition is switched on. The previous driving mode selection is not retained when the ignition is switched off.
Someone obviously reprogrammed the computer at some point, but why?

If I'm staying in the local urban area, I might drop it into Eco, but most of the time it goes straight to Dynamic - I've really not done many miles in Comfort, after I discovered I could get as good or better MPG in Dynamic :lol:
Is 'Comfort mode' not just about the suspension?

#10 ·
Mike Rometer said:
Is 'Comfort mode' not just about the suspension?
Comfort mode is a term used sometimes for "Normal" mode.
It can be confusing as unless you have adaptive dynamics (electronic suspension) you can do bugger all about the ride and suspension settings.

G
#11 ·
I am not ignoring anyone regarding a reply but all what has been stated is correct. I have just had a great 2 1/2 hours trying to get my printer working as it didn't connect to my new router. (*6%@*&5 electronics) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#12 ·
Stephen said:

It will do this for Dynamic, but not for Eco.

#13 ·
Vespa said:
I have just had a great 2 1/2 hours trying to get my printer working as it didn't connect to my new router. (*6%@*&5 electronics) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Most stressful things in life:
1. Buying and moving to a new house.
2. Buying a new car.
3. Buying and setting up a new router.

:D

G
#14 ·
PhilB said:
Vespa said:
I have just had a great 2 1/2 hours trying to get my printer working as it didn't connect to my new router. (*6%@*&5 electronics) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Most stressful things in life:
1. Buying and moving to a new house.
2. Buying a new car.
3. Buying and setting up a new router.

:D
I must admit I have had a bellyful of electronics this week. First the TV stations decided to change cahannel numbers and I thought just retune and all will be fine. Nooooo, both recorders needed rebooting and one had to go back to factory reset. Then the printer wouldn't connect to the router or computer. Rebooting did nothing, having updates did nothing, unplugging and reconnection did nothing and in the end I went to the HP printer website and they have been apologising for non connection of certain routers. I then downloaded a complete new driver and programming which worked once and disconnected. The only way to get it to connect up was by USB connection and waiting until all 3 talked to each other. Eventually they connected. Then the bloody black ink ran out. More messing about. All this because a building society insisted I print off a form to prove who my wife is, yet they can prove who I am electronically. The question now is where can I buy a washing machine to launder money and will it need connecting to my router. :lol:

#15 ·
Mike Rometer said:
It also changes the dash layout, which is annoying, as it seems to have to cycle through all the options but the one I want, before eventually getting to it second time around. I haven't fathomed that one yet.
On mine, the content displayed at the bottom can be chosen in 'trip bank' in the options. You can select just a couple - I've got mine down to average mpg, instantaneous mpg and date.

#16 ·
I have a 16 plate prestige 200, and it always defaults to eco mode , and the screen layout never alters. The only time it ever did was after a battery disconnect.

#17 ·
devonia said:
I have a 16 plate prestige 200, and it always defaults to eco mode , and the screen layout never alters. The only time it ever did was after a battery disconnect.
Thoughts?? Mine has only done SINCE the battery disconnect!

#18 ·
The centre display with trip miles, average mpg, range and average speed doesn't change on mine, but the bottom right one next to the gear indicator can be changed with the 'i' button on the end of the stalk. The content of this one can be set with the trip bank.

#19 ·
does the trip and av mpg also zero?
If so this is symptomatic of a battery disconnect of some sort as this data as well as the screen layout is not retained after disconnect.
Driving mode, however, should default to ECO even after disconnect

#20 ·
Mine hasn't zeroed anything, just dumped my dashboard settings, and as I said, I seem to have to go round twice to get 'Instant MPG' back. Been all right today and yesterday.

#22 ·
Pete McK said:
devonia said:
Driving mode, however, should default to ECO even after disconnect
This isn't the case on mine, it will stay in eco or normal if selected, but dynamic will switch itself back.
There may well be differences between model years though.
I think (?) mine defaulted to 'Normal' after the disconnect, but it didn't bother me at the time as I felt it was normal.

#23 ·
Its changed at model year 18 from memory, a requirement of emissions from that year is that it defaults to the setting which the vehicle is approved on.

And before anybody says 'surely it was approved on ECO', the last thing a car manufacturer wants is a car that defaults to a driving option which softens the throttle response, particularly when it comes to first impressions during a test drive

#25 ·
I think we have had all the advice on this subject so it appears to be a bit of a mystery.
If it persists I would consult your dealer.

#26 ·
PhilB said:
I think we have had all the advice on this subject so it appears to be a bit of a mystery.
If it persists I would consult your dealer.
Listed, along with a load of other oddities to be presented next visit. Still waiting to hear about the June software update and what it tackles before that happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.