Jaguar XE Forum banner

Standard ICT Sat Nav Updates

34K views 105 replies 19 participants last post by  DaveBl 
#1 ·
I have a non pro system and want to upgrade the sat nav maps.
What's the easiest way to do this, vsit to the dealership?
Any ideas of cost would be appreciated.

#4 ·
I think you still could as others have had replacements from dealers in the past.
I think you would need to weigh up the cost from a dealer as against the cost from the online site AND if the one from the dealer would definitely be up to date.

#5 ·
PhilB said:
I think you still could as others have had replacements from dealers in the past.
I think you would need to weigh up the cost from a dealer as against the cost from the online site AND if the one from the dealer would definitely be up to date.
Very true.
Anyone any idea if the new (ish) forth road bridge crossing (Queensferry) and the Aberdeen bypass is on the latest version?

#6 ·
I can't help with that as I have the Pro with a different system of updating.
I hope someone with the latest map on the ICT system might be able to help.

#7 ·
PhilB said:
No probs.
Went into a dealership in Dundee this afternoon and their advice was wait till September as a new version was supposedly being released then?
Online version is 2019-2 so not sure if that is it for this year or not?
Anyone any idea?

#8 ·
j3bnl said:
PhilB said:
No probs.
Went into a dealership in Dundee this afternoon and their advice was wait till September as a new version was supposedly being released then?
Anyone any idea?
How many updates have there been this this time last year ?

G
#9 ·
Good advice from the Dundee dealer. I updated mine in early Sept 2018 and the following month Oct a newer version was available, so wait untill Oct to be sure. All done via the slot in your computer and expect a long download. It takes ages and I have 132Mbps.

#10 ·
Vespa said:
Good advice from the Dundee dealer. I updated mine in early Sept 2018 and the following month Oct a newer version was available, so wait untill Oct to be sure. All done via the slot in your computer and expect a long download. It takes ages and I have 132Mbps.
Yeh it's a new dealership that has opened up in Dundee so was unsure if they knew their stuff or were fobbing me off.
In no real hurry to upgrade just want to make sure that the Queensferry crossing and the Aberdeen Bypass are on it as I use these roads a few times a year.

#11 ·
KevinInSuffolkUK said:
j3bnl said:
PhilB said:
No probs.
Anyone any idea?
I've no idea how many updates there are per year. I was hoping someone on here with the non pro version would be able to help

G
#12 ·
Just for interest you can insert your card into the laptop and go to the updater to see if it can be updated. Then wait until Oct without accepting the updates ie cancel updates after the check. That only takes a couple of minutes as it checks the card date issue of the data loaded to it.

#13 ·
j3bnl said:
KevinInSuffolkUK said:
j3bnl said:
No probs.
Anyone any idea?
I've no idea how many updates there are per year. I was hoping someone on here with the non pro version would be able to help
There are two map updates per year for the non pro. About £97.00 for an update.

Regards John

#14 ·
Milfordman said:
j3bnl said:
KevinInSuffolkUK said:

Regards John
I can buy a whole new Sat Nav with lifetime updates for that much!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

#15 ·
It's a lot cheaper than my Insignia would have been to update :eek:

Two years after I bought it, Vauxhall released a new Nav DVD.

For about 180 beer tokens :roll:

For some reason, I spent a lot of time after 2011 on roads opened between 2009 and 2011 with a "pleaase drive onto a digitized road" message displayed :mrgreen:

That was all the updates they -ever- did for it, so I'd say Jaguar are better than Vauxhall for nav updates :D

#16 ·
Manufacturer updates to Satnav systems are a SCANDAL.

The uprising of Apple CarPlay and similar will end this at least, and allow use of constantly updated maps so whether there is a cost or not your map will constantly be the latest.

It's a shame we can't update the non Pro systems to use CarPlay :(

#17 ·
bjblyth said:
Manufacturer updates to Satnav systems are a SCANDAL.

The uprising of Apple CarPlay and similar will end this at least, and allow use of constantly updated maps so whether there is a cost or not your map will constantly be the latest.

It's a shame we can't update the non Pro systems to use CarPlay :(
I know. I was using the TomTom In Dash through Incontrol which I was happy with but it broke when they bought out Android 9 (pie).

I paid under £60 for the App and that included all map updates. I got three in one year. They are susposed to be working on a fix. Heres hoping.

Regards John

#19 ·
I find the updater tool very non-intuitive.

It doesn't tell me what version of maps I currently have.

If I look at the data on my SD card, the UK maps have date 24/08/2016 and the map folder date is 25/05/2017. The newest date in the map folder are the .hnr files: 09/12/2016. This is the same date as the POI files. All of these dates seem pretty ancient for a car registered in May 2018 (InControl Touch activation date 24.05.2018).

Inside the car the navigation system information reads:
Software Version
Database Version
JLRNLIFC6EU;HMEU26.3.9908

I click 'Update Map' and it tells me "There is nothing to install"
I click 'Buy Updates/Redeem code' and it offers me "Map of Europe & Russia 28.1.10507"

I guess the 28.1.10507 relates somehow to the 26.3.9908 number - perhaps I have version 26 and the offered one is version 28?

Does anyone have any idea what the map dates would be if I purchased this upgrade ?

Would it be reasonable to assume that these would be at least 1 year newer based on the suggestion that the maps are updated twice a year?

#20 ·
KevinInSuffolkUK said:
I find the updater tool very non-intuitive.

It doesn't tell me what version of maps I currently have.

If I look at the data on my SD card, the UK maps have date 24/08/2016 and the map folder date is 25/05/2017. The newest date in the map folder are the .hnr files: 09/12/2016. This is the same date as the POI files. All of these dates seem pretty ancient for a car registered in May 2018 (InControl Touch activation date 24.05.2018).

Inside the car the navigation system information reads:
Software Version
Database Version
JLRNLIFC6EU;HMEU26.3.9908

I click 'Update Map' and it tells me "There is nothing to install"
I click 'Buy Updates/Redeem code' and it offers me "Map of Europe & Russia 28.1.10507"

I guess the 28.1.10507 relates somehow to the 26.3.9908 number - perhaps I have version 26 and the offered one is version 28?

Does anyone have any idea what the map dates would be if I purchased this upgrade ?

Would it be reasonable to assume that these would be at least 1 year newer based on the suggestion that the maps are updated twice a year?
28.1.10507 is indeed the latest map but exactly how old is hard to tell. Probably six to twelve months old. There is always a lag with the maps.

Regards John

#21 ·
Milfordman said:
j3bnl said:
KevinInSuffolkUK said:

Regards John
Cheers John.
Before I stump up I want to know if the Queensferry crossing and the Aberdeen AWPR are on it.

G
#22 ·
This got me thinking and I may have sussed out what the relevant numbers mean. Last year I bought an update in Aug/Sept (cannot quite remember) Then in Oct there was another update. My current updated ref is 26 3 9908 which I think mybe 2 (001)6 2016 year issue and then 3 being the issue number of that year then 9 being Sept 9 being the date ie 9th Sept and 08 referencing for that update, possibly to do with the number of modifications prior to download by myself.
The current version 28 1 10507 similarly coded 28 (2018) 10 Oct, 5 being the 5th and 07 the last tweeked update. If I am correct then the next update will be Oct 2019 and the new code will be 29.1.10*** or 2019 issue 1, 10 Oct * (date in Oct) ** and relevant references for that. Of course I may be well off the mark but it's quite likely, and it may be updated in Sept making 29.1.09*** :geek:

#23 ·
Vespa said:
This got me thinking and I may have sussed out what the relevant numbers mean. Last year I bought an update in Aug/Sept (cannot quite remember) Then in Oct there was another update. My current updated ref is 26 3 9908 which I think mybe 2 (001)6 2016 year issue and then 3 being the issue number of that year then 9 being Sept 9 being the date ie 9th Sept and 08 referencing for that update, possibly to do with the number of modifications prior to download by myself.
The current version 28 1 10507 similarly coded 28 (2018) 10 Oct, 5 being the 5th and 07 the last tweeked update. If I am correct then the next update will be Oct 2019 and the new code will be 29.1.10*** or 2019 issue 1, 10 Oct * (date in Oct) ** and relevant references for that. Of course I may be well off the mark but it's quite likely, and it may be updated in Sept making 29.1.09*** :geek:
Sounds possible.
I have decided to sit tight and wait until I can get it confirmed that the Queensferry Crossing and AWPR (Aberdeen bypass) are on any update I purchase.
A couple of weeks ago I updated the satnav in my wife's Mini Cooper S and it cost £49 including a lifetime code for her car. Update came on a Pen drive and any future updates will be £30ish as I already have the code.
Simple to install and update and no need for dealership or £98.
Would also point out that her Mini's nav is significantly better than the Jags.

#24 ·
j3bnl said:
Vespa said:
Sounds possible.
I have decided to sit tight and wait until I can get it confirmed that the Queensferry Crossing and AWPR (Aberdeen bypass) are on any update I purchase.
A couple of weeks ago I updated the satnav in my wife's Mini Cooper S and it cost £49 including a lifetime code for her car. Update came on a Pen drive and any future updates will be £30ish as I already have the code.
Simple to install and update and no need for dealership or £98.
Would also point out that her Mini's nav is significantly better than the Jags.
Hope these images help (Feb 2019 update):-
Computer Output device Gadget Personal computer Line

Computer Gadget Output device Line Font

Line Gadget Font Map Display device

Attachments

#25 ·
Hi Folks

Can anybody tell me the date of the latest map update for the ICT (not the Pro) I've been holding off updating since I bought my XE shortly after it was released. At the time I was led to believe that updates were included in the service plan but the dealer closed soon after and I was left being expected to pay a rediculoius price for a product that was far from impressive.

I'd planned to get TomTom InDash as an alternative but they abandoned it last week (no longer on the Google store), so unless anyone has a better idea looks like I need to update.

From previous threads it looks like an update may be due around October, so does anyone know if thats the case and if so does it have the new A555 Manchester Airport Relief Road on it? Would hate to fork that amount of cash for out for an out of date map that gets updated (to a less out of date version) only a few days later.

Any help much appreciated

Biscuit

#26 ·
I am also waiting for the update of the latest Maps to include the Queens ferry crossing and the new Aberdeen AWPR route.
I had a loaner XE while my own XE was being serviced and it had the new AWPR route on it. So of course thinking this was now available on the latest Maps release I bought it, installed on my card only to find the AWPR nor the Queensferry crossing were on it.
I contacted JLR customer services to complain that I had paid the £96 for the latest version of the Map based on what I experienced with the Loaner XE and to receive the new AWPR updates was the only reason I purchased it. So How could the Loaner XE have these roads but the latest version did not.
It transpires that the JLR company cars get loaded with Beta versions for testing prior to general release, hence why that car had the new roads.
I complained that I had spent £96 based on this but had not received any benefit. The customer services agent agreed with me and provided a code that I could use to download the new maps when they were available.
Now my problem is again how do you find out what is available, new roads wise on the latest Maps. So I cam across the web site http://mapchanges.navigation.com/
This supposedly displays the new roads added to the maps, think they are highlighted Blue. and currently there are no updates in my area Aberdeen. Check it out and see if you agree with my assumption.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.